Stax outfits in the £1000-ish price bracket?
Nov 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oktapod

Head-Fier
Hi folks.

As you might have seen from my other post, I'm trying to get a short-list of headphones and headamps together with a budget of up to approximately £1000 all-in (though I could go a tad higher if I split the purchase up to headamp followed by headphones later).

I've had an 'itch' for a pair of electrostatic headphones for a while, and I'm wondering if now would be a good time to scratch it....

The thing for me is that I'm going to have to get a headamp anyway, so if I buy a Stax system, say, then it comes with a matching amp so I can be sure of a good match. However, the new big kid on the block, the HD800, gives me pause as it's just a bit over budget (assuming I don't go daft with the headamp) but getting incredible reviews.

So, is there anything 'all-in' in the Stax range that is comparable in musicality, detail, transparency etc., to the HD800 plus £300ish headamp, within my budget? Or would I regret not getting the HD800?

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 8
A Stax Omega II system is out of reach with a £1000 budget, but pretty much any other Stax system should be within reach.
And you may even enjoy any of them more than the HD800...
wink.gif

A SRS-4040 system would be one suggestion. New from Price Japan for £870 (€970), plus shipping and possibly VAT.
Then there are vintage systems like SR-Lambda (Pro) with SRM-1/MK2 (Pro or P.P.) energizer. The SR-Lambda Signature is really nice as well.

One thing to remember are the two different bias voltages. Where the headphone and energizer need to be a match.
Normal = 230 volts
Pro = 580 volts

Edit:
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oktapod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks.

As you might have seen from my other post, I'm trying to get a short-list of headphones and headamps together with a budget of up to approximately £1000 all-in (though I could go a tad higher if I split the purchase up to headamp followed by headphones later).

I've had an 'itch' for a pair of electrostatic headphones for a while, and I'm wondering if now would be a good time to scratch it....

The thing for me is that I'm going to have to get a headamp anyway, so if I buy a Stax system, say, then it comes with a matching amp so I can be sure of a good match. However, the new big kid on the block, the HD800, gives me pause as it's just a bit over budget (assuming I don't go daft with the headamp) but getting incredible reviews.

So, is there anything 'all-in' in the Stax range that is comparable in musicality, detail, transparency etc., to the HD800 plus £300ish headamp, within my budget? Or would I regret not getting the HD800?

Personally, I would try getting a used set of something like an SRM-007t or SRM-717 and a Lambda Nova Signature - should come in well under your figure. If you plan on later moving up to an Omega 2, you will be better off with the 717.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 8
You're quoting in £. Why don't you sign up for the UK meet this weekend and youll get a chance to hear some STax and the HD800 as well as other things and see after that where you think your money is best spent?

Personally I prefer the O2 to the HD800. It's been too long since I've owned the SR-202 to make the call against the HD800. But I'd probably also nod to the Stax there cos I'm a stat guy.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 8
Have a look in the Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers section and you'll find all the details. It's in Manchester. Wish I could get there...

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Nov 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 8
You might be able to just squeeze the SR-404LE and either a new SRM-006 (which could be a lot of fun) or find an SRM-717 which is pretty much the ultimate STAX amp (aside from the SRM-T2).

You can find the SR-404LE on US ebay. If you are looking for a 717, I have an extra one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back