Stax or other IEMs?
Feb 18, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
the Etymotic ER6i and ER4p, who has them, how do they sound, are they any good?i found some ER6i for about US$100, but I love the stax sound which is US$300, so really it should be the ER4p V. SR001mk2, any recommendations, or things with the etys?

thanks

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 25
I don't think ER6i's are going to come anywhere near even vintage Stax headphones. I found them very good at sealing -- great for travel, but a bit light on sound quality (a bit tinny) and quite bass-light. I wish I had considered ER4's in the first place.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 25
I don't have the er4p, but the er4s and stax sr-001MKII.

The sr-001MKII is uncomfortable and it is not very portable. The driver unit really consumes eneloops very fast. SQ wise vs the etys, well I think it has some treble rolloff but it has better bass than the etys for me. They are both very detailed. The stax can be described as fast.

The etys are very microphonic and for me it benefits from the bass boost of the fiiO e5, though I think the fiiO makes the treble a little less forward.
smily_headphones1.gif
I only use them with comply tips, the other tips that come with it are uncomfortable for me.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 25
I have both ER-4s and SR-001 MK2.

I loved both for their different roles. The ER-4S still the best for sealed isolation and the SR-001 MK2 for airy output.

Both have similar sound approach with the ER-4S being a bit leaner on bass quantity. The SR-001 MK2 have more textured and prominent bass in contrast. Both have mind boggling speed and resolution. But I am leaning towards modded SR-001 MK2 system when isolation is not needed.

PS: I have not compared those two against the ER-6i and I think it should not be compared at all because ER-6i is an IEM meant for practicality and easy listening.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both ER-4s and SR-001 MK2.

I loved both for their different roles. The ER-4S still the best for sealed isolation and the SR-001 MK2 for airy output.

Both have similar sound approach with the ER-4S being a bit leaner on bass quantity. The SR-001 MK2 have more textured and prominent bass in contrast. Both have mind boggling speed and resolution. But I am leaning towards modded SR-001 MK2 system when isolation is not needed.

PS: I have not compared those two against the ER-6i and I think it should not be compared at all because ER-6i is an IEM meant for practicality and easy listening.

Just go ahead and say you like the SR-001 better.

PS: Your spare SR-001 Mk2 shipped out yesterday, and you can track it through paypal.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just go ahead and say you like the SR-001 better.

PS: Your spare SR-001 Mk2 shipped out yesterday, and you can track it through paypal.
biggrin.gif

LOL you're killing me....no need to rub them STAX salt on my injured ER-4S pride
tongue_smile.gif
biggrin.gif

PS:
Thanks for the fast shipping. I'd rather not think about them too much else I'd be drooling with anticipation

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only use them with comply tips, the other tips that come with it are uncomfortable for me.

I am glad to read of someone else using the comply tips. I find them to be much more comfortable than the stock tips and much easier to insert/remove. I don't roll them or anything: just push'em in and pull'em out. And I think they help the bass just a bit, though the Minibox E+ really is the answer there.

Also, concerning microphonics... I use dental spacers (those tiny rubber bands) to re-route the cables back up the shaft so that I can run them over my ears. Microphonics are then pretty much a non-issue.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 25
Ive done some more lurking and at ends whether i should bother getting US$300, I really should be saving up for a better source.

so here's a shortlist...

ATH-CK9
Ety's ER6-i
HeadDirect RE0
SuperFi 5
SuperFi 5 EB?
SE310

also I thought pushing the boat out to the CK10, or ER4S...

I don't know... hmm cause I want it by easter, and to be frank, at the amount of hours Im getting this means saving up the whole of march... Hopefully I can work thursdays again that would half the time... and a fortnight would make me more at ease.

Well InfiniteZro I don't think amazon.com does free shipping to Australia if they dont service netherlands, so i buy from ebay, and pay $27 to have em shipped.

EDIT -

These will be used on the train, overseas for holidays, anywhere and everywhere.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 25
^ to a degree, after rush hour you just hear some sound from the train. Im not keen on high isolation for some circumstances but you are quite right, i bet it will be annoying my only standing leg for this, is that the ibuds are open too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back