Stax Omega Review in Stereophile
Jun 24, 2001 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 20
Did any of you guys notice the Sennheiser Orpheus on the back cover? I have a tendency to leave the magazine face down, that's the only reason I noticed it...I want, I want, I want. I wish I had $10,000.

Jul 28, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 20
I agree with Kevin Gilmore and JohnActon: the Stereophile review was not detailed enough. This is uncharacteristic of Mr Jonathan Scull, who usually is very eloquent. Almost nothing at all was said of how the headphone sounds, with the exception of the short, almost perfunctory, description at the final "Summing Up" section of the review.

The lengthy reviews of the Omega II at HeadWize are far more informative than the Stereophile one. I recall there were two lengthy reviews of this headphone at HeadWize: one by myself and another by Headster. Whilst my review might have been the first full-length review to appear at HeadWize, I felt that Headster's (later) review was the best review of the Omega II that you can find anywhere, because his review described in tremendous detail the sonic character of the headphone in question.

(To be sure, reviews of the Omega II that are more detailed than Stereophile's can be found not only at HeadWize but also in Ultimate Audio Issue 3-#3, Inner Ear Report Issue 11-#3 and Hi Fi News And Record Review. But the two HeadWize reviews are more in-depth than the ones by Ultimate Audio, Inner Ear and Hi Fi News, probably because the ones by the two non-professional reviewers were the result of a labour of love for this headphone.)

It was as if Mr Scull meant his review to be merely an adjunct/compliment to the more detailed reviews found elsewhere. His review filled a specific void, which was that so far no one has actually done a detailed comparison of the tubed 007t and the solid state 717, which are the two usual amps one drives the Omega II with. It was as if he had read reviews found elsewhere, and wrote his own review to fill that void, and didn't bother to talk about the headphone itself because others had already done so.

Either that, or Mr Scull might possibly be uncomfortable reviewing/comparing headphones, because quite possibly he doesn't listen enough to headphones (what with all the high-end loudspeakers he has at his disposal!). It might be possible that he is more comfortable comparing amplifiers and comparing the effects of power supply accessories.

The previous reviewer who tackled headphones for Stereophile was Mr Thomas J Norton. He reviewed high-end headphones such as Orpheus, baby Orpheus, Lambda Signature, Omega I, Lambda Pro and Koss ESP-950 for Stereophile during the mid- to late-90s. I find Mr Norton's reviews of headphones to be far more detailed, helpful and informative than Mr Scull's. Mr Norton left Stereophile to become editor of Stereophile Home Theatre.

Jul 29, 2001 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 20
Hello gentlemen,

I echo the guy sentiments on this review.

When I first laid my hands on a pair of Omega II, this headphone move me so much such that I almost write a novel on its sonic mastery.

Do Stereophile monitors the net? I think so. It's almost as though Mr. Jonathan Scull know what we needed (a review between these two amps 007t and 717). Just what the doctor order. To this day there is no review of such until recent in Stereophile. If this review focus on this headphone, then the review is lacking some fundamental info needed to provide for the readers. Hopefully, one of their reviewers can do a follow-up on this, otherwise readers do not get a sense of what this 'phone sounded like?

While I'd like to have had a chance to evaluate 007t during my review of the 717 and T1S. Of course, that was not possible at the time. I suspected then that the 007t's sounded similar to T1S's (no surprise since they're both tubed unit). The extra 40Vrms over the T1S didn't make any signifcant difference. Perhaps Darth Nut can elaborate more on this matter since he is the only person I know of who has had the experiences with all Stax tubed units including the formidable T2.

Hey..I just realized it's been over a month since I posted anything. Thank Darth for the link.

Cheers!

Jul 30, 2001 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 20
The article is a bit lean, but to their credit, Stereophile often does follow-up pieces on products that get a short review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back