Stax Omega II and ultra hi fi source
May 28, 2003 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
Just wondering which member here has a 10,000 or so dollar CD player who has listened to the Omega IIs? Just wondering what it sounds like in a top TOP of the line CD player as compared to a average run of the mill hi fi source?

May 28, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 16
redface.gif
redface.gif
I only use my Sony N500v for my Omega II.
redface.gif
redface.gif

I promise myself to get a Great source very soon.
redface.gif
redface.gif

May 28, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
I promise myself to get a Great source very soon.

...in direct contrast to the promise you make in your signature?

May 28, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Just wondering which member here has a 10,000 or so dollar CD player who has listened to the Omega IIs? Just wondering what it sounds like in a top TOP of the line CD player as compared to a average run of the mill hi fi source?

Do you mean like the Mark Levinson stuff? $14K converter?

May 30, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Read the NYC meet comments.
There was an Omega II hooked up to a killer transport/DAC combo.

That system was not up to snuff. Bozebuttons posted that the balanced cables used with the Stax system didn't go well with it (stole the PRAT), so that the Omega II shouldn't be judged by that particular setup.

May 30, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
Didn't headroom have them hooked up with the BAT? It was either that or the Meridian. (sigh, the Meridian)

gerG

Yeah, but then the Omega IIs were said to be defective there, confirmed by at least 2 people that heard the Omega IIs at the WOH and then later bought a pair.

May 30, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 16
If you wait two months I'll let you know how they sound with the Electrocompaniet CDP that runs $5500 and compares favorably with sources running 2-3 times that price or more. I expect that they will be incredible with this particular source and cabling, but only time will tell.

May 30, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 16
How about a Sony SCD-1 in balanced mode tied directly
to my balanced input Blue hawaii stax driver.

Really Sweet. The best of the best. Miles davis on sacd.
There is no better.

Krell kps20i/delta9 also quite amazing.

Just 2 more weeks and the Krell SACD standard will be here.

Sep 3, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 16
Very soon I'll try the Omega II System with my Linn Sondek CD 12, I'll tell you my impressions.

Best!
Nicola

Sep 3, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 16
So far, the Stax SR404s have been nothing short of fabulous run off the Electrcompaniet. They are extremely detailed, yet completely enjoyable at the same time. It is a very neutral presentation that might not appeal to those who value a warm presentation, but for the rest it is simply breathtaking.

Now if I could only get the Omegas down here to me I could report in on how they sound in the system.

Sep 3, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 16
my omega 2's sound pretty good in front of my "run of the mill" cary 306/200.
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm beginning to believe that amplification and source is truly the foundation of an omega 2 system, moreso than any other headphone i have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back