Stax Lambda questions
Sep 17, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lambda pros cost ~$450 and the Gammas cost ~$310. Which is probably negotiable. Is this a good price?

Imo they both have a price tag a bit on the high side.
I paid $270 for my last Lambda Pro pair, in excellent condition. But I have seen them sell for anything between $200 and $700, so their going rate is a bit hard to tell. A fair price for the Gamma should be in the $100-150 range.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #17 of 54
I just talked with the guy on the phone. He offered me the Lambda pros + SRD-7 Mk3 for $630, which I definitely feel is pretty steep.

However since I'm in Denmark (EU), you'd have to factor in VAT (since im in the EU), bank/paypal fees and shipping, as I doubt I'd find another pair near me. But it still seems to be a bit too much.

However I'd have a pair of "new" Lambdas, that I know haven't been used/abused. The price puts them in direct competition with brand new Stax' though, so how would it compare to these:

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Sta...er_System.html
http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Sta...System_II.html

Ah, so many decisions
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

I just talked with the guy on the phone. He offered me the Lambda pros + SRD-7 Mk3 for $630, which I definitely feel is pretty steep.

However since I'm in Denmark (EU), you'd have to factor in VAT (since im in the EU), bank/paypal fees and shipping, as I doubt I'd find another pair near me. But it still seems to be a bit too much.

However I'd have a pair of "new" Lambdas, that I know haven't been used/abused. The price puts them in direct competition with brand new Stax' though, so how would it compare to these:

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Sta...er_System.html
http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Sta...System_II.html

Ah, so many decisions
smily_headphones1.gif

The new phones do sound different but you can easily get a Basic system newwith warranty for 500$. It's something to consider.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #19 of 54
It sure is a hard choice.
Choose between a vintage SR-Lambda (Pro) and SRD-7 (Pro or MK2) system, or a new SRS-2050A system, when they cost the approximately same amount of money.

For your info, the SRS-2050A system can be had new for $450 from PriceJapan.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

The headphones comes with this adaptor: http://www.stax.co.jp/OLD/Photo/Srd-x.jpg

That should allow me to run the headphones through my Opera amp right?

While you all seem to really like Stax, I want to at least try them before selling anything
lambda.gif

Also, I really like bass, which I feel the dt990s do pretty well. I read a post (I think it was yours spacemanspliff) saying that the Lambdas should provide plenty of bass, so I'm definitely hoping that will be the case.

Would anything from the current Stax lineup be an alternative to the Lambdas?

This adapter is a portable amp which can run of 8 c cells or a transformer. It will plug into any 1/4" headphone socket, whether its your other headphone amp, the socket on a cd or whatever. There are other similar models (such as the SRDP) that are more like regular amps and designed to run off a line-input.

I have both of these as well as other regular Stax amps and you will almost certainly get better sound from a regular amp, but if you get a good price on the SRDX it may serve as at least a bridge until you move onto something better.

If you have a good quality power amp you may want to try the transformer route as this is also fairly inexpensive but realize that Stax stopped making transformers years ago. There is some debate here as to why, I am sure it was a sound quality issue.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #21 of 54
The transformers weren't dropped because of sound quality because they sound great, much better then the SRM-3/313 lineup or any lesser amp. Much more power and punch with only a few drawbacks. They were dropped because they didn't match the hi-fi landscape. Most users has switched over to cd so no preamps were necessary to get a line level signal and the amp is simply a much simpler solution in the world of a standardized input voltage. There is also the risk of overloading the drivers with the transformers but Stax put diodes in place to protect against overload but some of the earlier models don't have any protection so they can burn the diaphragms.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 54
i have a set of sr-lambdas (normal bias) that I got for $250, through my cheap sony reciever and srd-7 and it sounds amazing. After hearing these I have no urge to upgrade my home setup at all (i may need sr001 for portable
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an SRM-T1 in the amps for sale section here, pick it up before he puts it on Ebay. I believe Spritzer uses one.

lol I am pretty sure that it is out of his price range.

Ok people. Make a suggestion as to what he should specifically look for. My vote is my setup. For the $$ it simply stuns me.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

There's an SRM-T1 in the amps for sale section here, pick it up before he puts it on Ebay. I believe Spritzer uses one.

Yup I have one and use it quite a bit. It is less powerful then the transformer based solutions but it has much better tonality and detail. The mod potential is pretty good but it will never beat something like a Blue Hawaii.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol I am pretty sure that it is out of his price range.

Ok people. Make a suggestion as to what he should specifically look for. My vote is my setup. For the $$ it simply stuns me.

It might not be, you said yourself "everything for Stax"

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

It might not be, you said yourself "everything for Stax"

Well yeah, but not his car lol.

Ok for the Blue Hawaii and some Omega II you can have my Acura.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2 for a system like yours.
I have never heard the normal bias Lambda. But knowing the Pro, and reading that the normal bias might be even better, it will certainly give him lots of great sound for the money.

I seriously need an SR-Lambda myself...
lambda.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #30 of 54
Spaceman: Thanks for trying to keep these guys in check, everyone's insane here
biggrin.gif

The SRM-T1 is definitely way more than what I want to spend at the moment.

I will definitely be keeping my Beyer setup, I still haven't even heard electrostatics, so for now I'm still somewhat skeptical of the Lambda's ability to better my beloved dt990s
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I've settled for the Lambda Pros + SRD-7, I'll give the seller a call tomorrow and try to negotiate a bit maybe.

This should leave me with Denon Amp > SRD-7 > Lambda Pros. By the way, do they have to burn in?

Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to hearing these things. Oh, and it'll be ~14 hours before I call the seller, so you can still stop me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back