Stax Lambda questions
Sep 19, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #46 of 54

spritzer

Member of the Trade: Mjölnir Audio
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikolaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I called the guy, and we agreed to a price. Luckily he had to go to a store near me, so we agreed to meet up and finish the transaction.

I'm now the happy owner of a Stax Lambda Pro. Apparently the seller had bought 3 pairs sometime in the early '90s. My pair was totally new in the original box, complete with silica gel and everything. Pretty fascinating stuff, They feel like they came out of a time machine or had just been assembled yesterday.

Sadly I haven't really gotten around to hearing them yet, as I need to hook them up to my speaker amp, which is stashed away at a remote warehouse. Tomorrow after work, I should be able to pick up the amp, and give these things a listen. All very exciting
biggrin.gif

In other news my Opera arrived at the post office, but customs hit me with $290 worth of VAT. Bastards :[.

Congrats on your new headphones.
lambda.gif

I know all too well about the nasty customs stuff. I've been hit pretty hard over the years.
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #47 of 54

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
lol that stinks. In the U.S our customs is so bad/overloaded that they simply cannot take the time to actually do their job and I have never paid any duties.

The Opera won't compare to the Stax. My $300 Parasound amp/preamp w/ the SRD-7 will stomp it I assure you.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #48 of 54

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Quote:

So, I called the guy, and we agreed to a price. Luckily he had to go to a store near me, so we agreed to meet up and finish the transaction.

I'm now the happy owner of a Stax Lambda Pro. Apparently the seller had bought 3 pairs sometime in the early '90s. My pair was totally new in the original box, complete with silica gel and everything. Pretty fascinating stuff, They feel like they came out of a time machine or had just been assembled yesterday.

Sadly I haven't really gotten around to hearing them yet, as I need to hook them up to my speaker amp, which is stashed away at a remote warehouse. Tomorrow after work, I should be able to pick up the amp, and give these things a listen. All very exciting
biggrin.gif

Congratulations!
Them really seems to be NOS, which are rare for such old phones.

Make sure you keep us posted when you have brought them to life!
lambda.gif

Just let them charge for at least an hour before you make any conclusions...

Quote:

In other news my Opera arrived at the post office, but customs hit me with $290 worth of VAT. Bastards :[.

Yes, the VAT sure can hurt some times..
Even if I have to admit that I have been very lucky so far...

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #49 of 54

Nikolaus

100+ Head-Fier
I guess it's about time that I post some impressions on these things. I'm not really great at describing this stuff, so please bear with me
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using the Lambda Pro through the SRD-7 -> Denon DRA-375RD -> Opera -> PC. I've been listening to this setup over the last 2 days, comparing them to the dt990 running through the Opera. I'm not quite sure how the Denon affects the sound. It has a total power output of 120w, which should be sufficient?

Initially I wasn't too impressed. The sound is thinner than the dt990, and voices sound somewhat distant. Also I didn't really feel they added anything resolution-wise to the music. They felt slightly more precise than the dt990, but the dt990 just has more of everything, and is more musical. However the more I listened to the Lambdas, the more I liked them. I guess there's also some mental burn in to consider.

Yesterday I had another listening session. This time I was starting to hear a bit more texture and details with the Lambdas compared to the dt990s. And I was getting more used to their sound.

My initial impressions still stand. The Lambdas are more precise and slightly more detailed, but the dt990s have a more fun sound. Resolution wise, the differences are very subtle. Ultimately whenever I put on either, after a minute or so, I was rocking along feeling very happy. If I had to keep either of these 'phones for a long time, I'd have no complaints at all.

For a bit of a background on all this. I've just recently started buying "high end" headphone equipment, and each time I upgraded something, I could hear a huge difference. I guess this is the rules of diminishing returns, since now it seems to be mainly differences in how the sound is presented, rather than hearing new details and huge differences on every song.

By the way, someone said something about charging the electrostatics by leaving them on for an hour or so before using them. Do I need to play music through them, or can I just turn on the amp and let them charge?

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #50 of 54

krmathis

Quote:

I guess it's about time that I post some impressions on these things. I'm not really great at describing this stuff, so please bear with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to see that you have gotten the SRD-7 and Lambda Pro up and running.
They might not blow you away in the beginning. But let them "grow" on you for a week or so, then put on the DT990's.

There sure are something special about electrostatics.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

By the way, someone said something about charging the electrostatics by leaving them on for an hour or so before using them. Do I need to play music through them, or can I just turn on the amp and let them charge?

No need to play music. At least not as far as I know..
The diaphragm need to be fully charged for the 'phones to show themselves from their best side. 30 minutes should be enough.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #52 of 54

spritzer

Member of the Trade: Mjölnir Audio
I would start be keeping all of this solid state stuff powered 24/7. It sounds much better that way. The midrange on the Lambda Pro's is a bit recessed but I would use them for a week straight and then compare to the 990.

The source is definitely a problem as I'm using the Aria into a Stax amp and it plainly sucks. Even though it doesn't have a dac out that was easy to solve...
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #53 of 54

krmathis

Quote:

I'm not quite sure how the Denon affects the sound. It has a total power output of 120w, which should be sufficient?

The amplifier used to power the SRD-7 certainly affect the resulting sound.
It might be an idea to check out other amplifiers, if you have access to some that is. Anything putting out 25 watt or more should be sufficient, as the SRD-7 are rated at 30 watt max (if I remember correctly).
I have used amplifiers rated at 70 and 200 watt/8ohm with good luck.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #54 of 54

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Parasound V.1 is what I use. Giving 30 watts per and a ballsy sound signature it sounds NICE with my setup. Good thing too b/c it was inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread