Stax L700 MK2 or Sennheiser HD800s?
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chococya96

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm having a hard time choosing between HD800s and L700 MK2.

I have auditioned both headphone/earspeaker, and both were excellent to my ears. I love the large soundstage from HD800s while, detailed and fast sounds from L700 MK2 are hard to ignore as well. Comfort wise, there are no issues with wearing these headphone/earspeaker for long duration though, I presume that the velour pads on HD800s might be more comfortable and less sweat-inducing in the long run.

Budget wise, I'm able to afford one of them plus a STAX energizer. I already have JDS Labs EL stack which, will be paired with HD800s. As for STAX, I will grab a used Stax energizers to pair with L700 MK2.

I mainly use my headphones for listening to EDM, J-pop, chill, rock, metal and traditional music (folk), classical. I also use it for gaming with a mix of RPG and FPS (PC and Switch). I also watch a lot of movies, dramas and anime.

All in all, both headphone/earspeaker are very tempting and I wish I could acquire both of them. However, I just want to pick one for now and may get the other one later down the road.

Thanks guys and I appreciate your help.

Nov 28, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Since no one ever seemed to answer your question, and I just asked myself this exact same question (would I like the Stax more than the 800s), I was wondering where you came out on this? Sorry to revive an old thread!

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 6
I had this dilemma before and I went to the Senns...reason: I have more options for futrure upgrade (lots of amps/headphone to choose from), easy to bring/travel/setup.

If you go to electrostatics, there are very limited options and not that mobile friendly. Its either STAX or other 4 or so brands (w/c cost a lot)

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 6
I had this dilemma before and I went to the Senns...reason: I have more options for futrure upgrade (lots of amps/headphone to choose from), easy to bring/travel/setup.

If you go to electrostatics, there are very limited options and not that mobile friendly. Its either STAX or other 4 or so brands (w/c cost a lot)
Ultimately, that was also my choice and I'm pretty happy.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Unless you can afford the SR-007 (still the best sounding, IMHO) or -009 series, it's not really worth the expense for a Stax Lambda series. The HD800 is a much better buy and performer.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Unless you can afford the SR-007 (still the best sounding, IMHO) or -009 series, it's not really worth the expense for a Stax Lambda series. The HD800 is a much better buy and performer.
Yeah, I think I would need to take a big step if I want these outclassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back