Stax Classic System II / 3030 arrived today...
Nov 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
and I think I am done! I am just going through my music collection and everything sounds soooo sweet. No setup I owned before ever sounded this good, not even close. Sometimes I am not sure if I listen to headphones or my speakers
wink.gif

for the lurkers:
wink.gif

stax01.jpg

Just had to share this. Best thing I bought so far and I had quite a few amps and headphones before...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 15
This is going to be so far off-topic it's not even funny, but how do you feel about the 336SE/HD-650 combo?

I ask because I just picked up a pair of HD-600s in the FS forum, and although they haven't arrived yet, and I fear that my Little Dot MK-II won't really do them justice, and might be looking to upgrade after I recover from the Christmas wallet murder; I was eyeing this amp, in particular.

I know that the 600 and 650 are different beasts, but I was just curious.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 15
hah, well your comment about being OT certainly was
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the 336SE + HD 650 combo. IIRC a lot of people say that the HD 650 sound dark, but I think I would not go that far. They are very well controlled and neutral to my ears, not harsh if it comes to highs or boomy if it comes to bass, at least out of my Darkvoice 336SE. In other words and let me repeat myself, to me it sounds like a good combo.
I used to own the DT 880 and LT MK-2 and was not a big fan of the LT MK-2. It was my third tube amp as I had a WooAudio 3 and an Earmax before. The LT MK-2 at least to me was a big disappointment in almost every aspect, but must say that I never replaced the standard tubes. (because the build quality and look of the amp gave me that - "please do not waste money for new tubes on me as I am going to fall apart if you stare at me again"-feeling)
Even with the Stax setup which I really enjoy like nothing else before I am going to keep the DV 336SE. The only reason to sell it would be a Earmax Pro showing up for sale
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure you read the 336 tuberolling thread, there are quite cheap tubes available that sound really good! And tubes can really change the SQ dramatically!

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Very nice! I've read a lot of stax owners say these are the best things they've bought since joining headfi that I need to buy me a system.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 15
Okay, cool, thanks for your off-topic help!

Funny, I actually bought the Senns to replace a pair of DT-880s. I had thought that the combo was fantastic until I picked up a pair of JVC HA-RX900s for fun, modded them, and found out that they sounded better to my ears, for my tastes. After that happened I had the extreme itch to upgrade my main phones, since all I could hear anymore was treble, treble, treble from the Beyers... yeesh...

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good, now you can worry about buying a desk!
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats.

Thanks, but I am quite sure I do not want to place a desk in my living room
biggrin.gif

stax02.jpg

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After that happened I had the extreme itch to upgrade my main phones, since all I could hear anymore was treble, treble, treble from the Beyers... yeesh...

I am not completly sure why I sold my Beyers, but I was using them out of an Meier Audio Corda Aria and the LT MK-2 and IIRC they sounded boring to me after a while, ast least out of the Aria. OTOH I might go ahead and grab another pair and give them another try
smily_headphones1.gif
Preferences change and sometimes it is better to keep 2-3 cans instead of trying to find the right or best set of headphones...

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 15
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to "Team Stax". Hope you enjoy it...

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks and yes I certainly do!
biggrin.gif

I am still going through my CD collection and everything just sounds sooo much better to me.
Should have made the change/upgrade a long time ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Welcome to the electrostat club. Now you must feed it a better signal than your Echo Indigo DJ! While it is a very decent sound card, your Stax will really scale up noticeably with better sources. I'm afraid you will never be able to say "I'm done" in this hobby
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the electrostat club. Now you must feed it a better signal than your Echo Indigo DJ! While it is a very decent sound card, your Stax will really scale up noticeably with better sources. I'm afraid you will never be able to say "I'm done" in this hobby
biggrin.gif

Could you please just keep your mouth shut
wink.gif
I am trying not to buy a new source before xmas...... well I said trying
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
To be honest, I compared the Echo Indigo DJ, the Marantz CD-72 and the M-Audio Audiophile USB. And to me the CD-72 and Indigo DJ sound more or less the same (at least SQwise, not soundsignature) and both better then the M-Audio Audiophile. Of course all lower end sources, while I still believe that the Marantz and Indigo DJ sound good.

If anybody got a good recommendation on a soundcard or DAC that just fits perfect into my rig, let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Welcome to the club!!!
I recently bought a Stax setup and had to upgrade the source like you.
A good and cheap DAC is Zero (there's a big thread about it on head-fi) and if you mod it (Lampizator mod-www.lampizator.eu ,HDAM mod....)you will get an incredible sound out of the Stax system.
Good luck....

Nov 27, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back