Stax 2050 (System II) or RS-2
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I have recently joined an automotive NVH & Acoustics department. I have come across the Stax 2050 electrostatic headphone system that we use for our noise measurement purposes. I was absolutely floored. Well I am not sure how they might sound with music, but their presentation was totally different
compared to the dynamic range I have come across. I thought of going for
RS-2 before, but I am reconsidering getting a basic electrostatic sytem (if not
Stax then some other).

Electrostatic head-fiers, I need your advice.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 18
I've heard the 2020's, and I was similarly floored by what I heard. They certainly don't have that fun-sounding "punch" that dynamic cans like the RS-2's have, but they are very accurate, extremely high-resolution, and great frequency response. Honestly, if you're that in love with them, you're doomed. haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Well the problem is I have never tried RS-2s with a decent amp.
So I can't really compared, but I am kind of purist and
I don't like tweaking with equalisers and a big fan of neutrality.

But deep in my heart I have got some respect and
passion for the Brooklyn made Grados.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... a big fan of neutrality.

Well, I have a lot of respect for Gradolabs too, but this might be a clue to look to the East.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 18
If you are patient and look around, you can find decent deals on a pair of Stax Lambda Pros and the SRM-1/MK2 amp. I suggest that combo as your "basic" 'stat system. In fact, you might not feel the need to upgrade from that. The good news is that with Stax love currently at a high, you would be able to resell very easily if you don't like the rig.

Jul 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 18
I've heard a lot of Stax headphones (not exactly the 202 yet, but various other Lambdas) and nearly all the Grados including the RS-2, and I'd take the Stax any day of the week.

Jul 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 18
yep. if stax is what you were floored by its hardly even worth the effort to consider grado. just get a stax system. they dont have terribly powerful bass but when you hear the rest of the sound you wont care.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard a lot of Stax headphones (not exactly the 202 yet, but various other Lambdas) and nearly all the Grados including the RS-2, and I'd take the Stax any day of the week.

Same here. I have heard...
Stax: SR-007 (and BL), 4070, SR-404, SR-303, SR-202, SR-Lambda Pro, SR-X/MK3 Pro, SR-X/MK3 and S-001 MK2.
Grado: GS1000, RS1, SR325i, SR225, SR125, SR80 and SR60.

I would take any Stax any day over any Grado (only counting those I have heard...).
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 18
electrostatic have a different sound. It is always more transparent and more detailed, but not everybody is aftering that. Grado's are popular in Rock listening for a good reason.

You will also need a good source or the Stax will be way too revealing.

That said, I myself prefer electrostatic over dynamics by a rather large margin.

for a beginner system, SR-Lambda + SRD-6/7 will be a better choice (sorry, but I just don't like the SRM-252)

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 18
I've owned the RS-2 and listened to the SR-202 as well as a few other similar Stax earspeakers. The Stax system in question would be a better match for a "big fan of neutrality" than the RS-2. I can't say the SR-202 is totally neutral since anyone will tell you there are few transducers which are ruler flat from 20Hz-20kHz and the SR-202 is far from that. I don't know one which exists but they may be out there. The SR-202 doesn't have the biggest bass though and one may find it slightly lacking.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 18
RS-2 from the Singlepower Extreme at the UK meet really pleased me, and I mean in a way no Grado headphone/amp combo than that that I've heard managed to do.

Id pick that, maybe, over a 2020, on sonics. Then I'd look at the prices and go for the Stax, used.

I owned the 2020 for a long while prior to the big O2. As a fallback in times of quiet hardship, it remains one of my top combos for such a circumstance against the Amp1/Ergo2, although of late, im thinking that unamped Orthodome would take the cake from either for budget rig.

In short, to opinion on the OP, I'd pick the Stax.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 18
It did take some serious amplification though
tongue.gif
At that price range, I would probably go for a used SR-404 or SR-Lambda Pro & SRM-717 rig.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 18
Oh, lets not beat about the bush here, to the SR-202, the SRM-717 is to the RS-2 what the big Singlepower is, and the change in the SR-202 out of the SRM-717 compared to the SRM-202 is not world changing but its certainly large. And I have the four items here in the house right now and its comparison that I feel utterly fluant and confident in making.

If the 2020 is the gateway drug, and for may it will be, although for me it stared with the 303//E.9/Esp9 then the 2020 leads right to the O2, or the AMT, depending on taste and inclination. I of course, have ended up pursueing both.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 18
I'd have to say go for the Stax.

I had to re-cable the RS-2 within 24 hours of buying my used ones from Kamal007 because the RS-2 in stock form were too neutral and dull. They were closer to my $99 MS-1 when stock. With the APS V3 cable they became as good as RS-1 to me, with more sparkle detail and bass punch, and very seductive mids, but they weren't neutral (although very enjoyable). Out of a $1000 maxed dual power supply Woo WA6 amp the RS-2 were fantastic, but at a $1700 cost for amp, phones and cable.

But, my vintage Stax SR-Lambda with SRM-1 Mk2 Pro amp at $650 total (normal bias) are possibly better than my RS-2 were or my current RS-1. And my SR-Lambda Signature $1100 with amp (pro bias) are clearly better than any of my Grados ($1700 with amp). So, I would imagine the SR-2020A should be just great for you, and there are lots of people out there that would buy it off you if you didn't keep it.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 18
I was not patient enough to wait for a Lamdba, so I purchased the 3050A system from Japan. I am very hard to please, and the only phones that have TRULY blown my mind are the K701 and HD650 balanced, Audio Technica AD2000 and L3000, and Stax Lambda, O2, and O2mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back