Stax 007t v. 007t II question
Jun 29, 2007 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I have Sennheiser HE60 and a Lambda Pro (on the way) headphones. I'm going to buy an Omega II as well and would like to compare all and keep the one I prefer.

I planned on getting an 007tII amp to drive them. HOWEVER...I've read that the this version of the amp has "eliminated the normal bias output jack" (whatever that means?) and therefore can't work with the lambda. Is this true? Would that mean that I also can't use the HE60 with the new version?

Can someone explain the differences (in build and sonics) between the 007t and the 007tII for me?

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 18
Partly correct.
The 007tII don't have Normal bias output, like some of the 007's. But the Lambda Pro use Pro bias (as the name say), so you don't need it for your phones anyway.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Partly correct.
The 007tII don't have Normal bias output, like some of the 007's. But the Lambda Pro use Pro bias (as the name say), so you don't need it for your phones anyway.

Thanks, Krmathis! What about the HE60s? Can I use them with the new 007tII?

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you can drive every phone Stax has ever made...

but it won't sound very good!

just out of curiosity i ran my lambda pros from the normal bias socket and it was well... wierd.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it won't sound very good!

just out of curiosity i ran my lambda pros from the normal bias socket and it was well... wierd.

That's true. You should try the SR-007 out of the normal socket of a SRM-313...
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try the SR-007 out of the normal socket of a SRM-313...
tongue.gif

Never tried the SR-007 with an SRM-313, but it sure sound bad out of my SRM-1/MK2.

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 18
I find that interesting krmathis, I'd have expected that the extra bit of voltage swing on the SRM-1/Mk.2 would be beneficial if anything. Guess numbers aren't everything in this game of taste.

To the OP Minimauled, you might want to consider the SRM-717 instead of the 007t precisely for that reason, the extra volts will do the Omega 2 a world of good. Again though, taste plays its part.

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that interesting krmathis, I'd have expected that the extra bit of voltage swing on the SRM-1/Mk.2 would be beneficial if anything. Guess numbers aren't everything in this game of taste.

Only 30 volts difference between them (007t=340v, 1/MK2=370v), which to my ears did not make a difference. It might be that I prefer tubes over solid state, or that the 15 years of development makes a difference. Who knows?
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's bad enough out of the Pro socket let alone the normal.
icon10.gif

Tell me about it. Give me tubes or give me death...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never tried the SR-007 with an SRM-313, but it sure sound bad out of my SRM-1/MK2.

Omegas and solid state is a bad match. A transformer coupled solid state amp might breath some life into world of sterile sound. It has helped with cheaper cd players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To the OP Minimauled, you might want to consider the SRM-717 instead of the 007t precisely for that reason, the extra volts will do the Omega 2 a world of good. Again though, taste plays its part.

While voltage swing is a good measurement it doesn't tell the whole story because we need current as well. The power supply has to be able to deliver this current and most of these amps just don't have the power needed. There is a reason why the BH sounds so good, it draws nearly 200w.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 18
So if I have these cans: (HE60 with stax adapter, Omega II, Lambda pro) is there a Stax amp that would be best for all or will all suffer a bit?

I assumed the 007tII amp would be best.

P.S. I have the Lambda Pro's on the way w/ SRD-7. Is there anything wrong with also trying the HE60s and Omegas out of that?

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I have these cans: (HE60 with stax adapter, Omega II, Lambda pro) is there a Stax amp that would be best for all or will all suffer a bit?

I assumed the 007tII amp would be best.

P.S. I have the Lambda Pro's on the way w/ SRD-7. Is there anything wrong with also trying the HE60s and Omegas out of that?

There isn't really one amp for every can out there. The O2's want an amp that is as neutral as possible while that isn't the best choice for the HE60's. You should also look into the Woo Audio GES in that price range. It's a bit cheaper and they offer some upgrades that should put it well above the 007t sound quality wise.

You can drive all of those headphones with the SRD-7 if it is a PRO or a MK2 model. Otherwise it will only have low bias terminal and while you will get sound the Omegas will sound very rolled off and the other ones a bit better but not by much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back