Status Audio - CB-1, OB-1
Nov 16, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 79
Sooo my friend just showed me an article of these earlier today (and they seem pretty impressive). My question however is how would they compare to the noontec Zoro 2 Hd's...Granted I have a pair of the Zoro 2 hd's from what i read it seems their sound signature is somewhat similar, but i wonder if anyone here could compare the two briefly :)

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 79
Quote:
  I'm planning to buy CB-1, what decent DAC should I buy for these?

Whatever you do do NOT get a FiiO e10k. It's like jackhammers into your skull. It's a terrible amp and I can't believe people give this thing good reviews everywhere...

It's especially particularly bad for the CB-1. The DAC on it sounds good, if you have an external amp. But the amp itself is metallic and coarse and sibilant. It has this effect on my SHP9500 as well (though slightly less so, even though it's a brighter headphone to begin with).

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 79
So, SHP-9500, OB-1 or CB-1? :D I am looking for something balanced to accompany my entry Stax rig and Sonys. I can't have 4 - 5K peaks at all, as that's an instant no-no. Smooth and extended works for me :] 

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 79
Can i use any cable with the CB1?

Im planning to use it with vmoda boom mic pro

The vmoda works fine on the CB-1. Every TRS I've tried seems to fit. It's not a particularly deep twist-lock.

So, SHP-9500, OB-1 or CB-1? :D I am looking for something balanced to accompany my entry Stax rig and Sonys. I can't have 4 - 5K peaks at all, as that's an instant no-no. Smooth and extended works for me :] 

The SHP9500 and CB-1 have no artifacts in treble, and the treble is detailed and well extended on both. The CB-1s are slightly warmer than the 9500s, although I personally find the 9500s a bit smoother, probably due partially to the soundstage and openness. I think the 4k range is higher on the 9500s, but the 10k+ upper treble is higher on the CB-1, for monitoring purposes I assume. I haven't tried them but I've heard the OB-1s are the warmest of the three.

None of them have Grado-level murdertreble, if that's what you're worried about. I'm treble sensitive myself and I'd know. One issue though is that even though the CB-1s are theoretically easy to power, they seem to have less uniform impedance across their frequency than the 9500s. They're picky headphones. I get a very different sound from different DACs I've tried, and honestly I find the sound a bit hollow on everything except a dedicated sound card or portable dac/amp or a DAP, in which case they sound great. A Cowon J3 makes them sing. A Samsung Galaxy makes them screech. So, be mindful of that. The 9500s have a similar pattern but less exaggerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back