Static sound when playing audio at low volume, why?
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sarita Coshaa

New Head-Fier
So I have a phone, a low-mid end android phone from 2017.

I have some IEMs, and when I try to play something at low volume, there is a lot of background static noise that sometimes "eats" the sound, Idk how to explain it, like if the noise ate information and didn't play it. Like someone was whispering and you won't hear anything at all (other than static noise) unless they say a word with "s" which would be typically louder, then you'll hear a small "sss-" and then it would cut to static again.

Again, it's a static background noise, not white noise nor a hizz on the background per se, but it's similar to those.

It is less noticeable when using low impedance earbuds and it is completely gone when using bluetooth earbuds. Any clues as to what might happen?

Also, would an external DAC work for this problem? Taking into consideration this phone has no OTG capabilities.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 18
I have some IEMs, and when I try to play something at low volume, there is a lot of background static noise that sometimes "eats" the sound, Idk how to explain it, like if the noise ate information and didn't play it. Like someone was whispering and you won't hear anything at all (other than static noise) unless they say a word with "s" which would be typically louder, then you'll hear a small "sss-" and then it would cut to static again.

Again, it's a static background noise, not white noise nor a hizz on the background per se, but it's similar to those.

It is less noticeable when using low impedance earbuds and it is completely gone when using bluetooth earbuds. Any clues as to what might happen?

Total crap audio chip paired with crap drivers.

If you haven't rooted it, maybe try that and see if the signal gets any cleaner.

Also, would an external DAC work for this problem? Taking into consideration this phone has no OTG capabilities.

First off...how would you even use an external DAC if it can't use OTG? Android isn't like iPhones where you can find a Made For Android DAC that only requires a standard sync cable and it will take over. Anrdoid Auto's already rare enough.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 18
So I have a phone, a low-mid end android phone from 2017.

Thank you!

What IEM are u using? Some IEMs with a higher sensitivity may have a hiss with certain sources (sensitivity is more important than impedance when it comes to hiss).

U can resolve this hiss issue by using a DAC/AMP, an inline volume controller or an impedance mismatch device.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 18
It's the poor quality amp circuit in your phone being noisy. Yes, an external DAC / amp should resolve it.

Edit: just saw no OTG, so... DAP time, or new phone time. The LG G/V series have fairly good DAC / amp implementations, if you just want to replace the phone.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 18
You could also use a Bluetooth amp/DAC, like the FiiO BTR5, Qudelix 5K, etc.
Or consider getting IEMs with higher impedance and/or lower sensitivity.
Maybe something like the iFi IEMatch would also work.

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 18
Total crap audio chip paired with crap drivers.

If you haven't rooted it, maybe try that and see if the signal gets any cleaner.

First off...how would you even use an external DAC if it can't use OTG? Android isn't like iPhones where you can find a Made For Android DAC that only requires a standard sync cable and it will take over. Anrdoid Auto's already rare enough.

I'll try to root but I honestly don't see how that would improve things.
How would I use a DAC?
Well Idk, thats why I asked if I could use it with no OTG, didnt i. Im out of luck I guess.

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 18
What IEM are u using? Some IEMs with a higher sensitivity may have a hiss with certain sources (sensitivity is more important than impedance when it comes to hiss).

U can resolve this hiss issue by using a DAC/AMP, an inline volume controller or an impedance mismatch device.

KZ ZSN Pro

But is not quite a hiss, more like the earbuds failing to play anything on a certain volume threshold.

Apparently I cant use an external DAC/AMP and the rest sounds too expensive, welp.

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 18
It's the poor quality amp circuit in your phone being noisy. Yes, an external DAC / amp should resolve it.

Edit: just saw no OTG, so... DAP time, or new phone time. The LG G/V series have fairly good DAC / amp implementations, if you just want to replace the phone.

Yeah the analog converter should be the problem, I even tried to clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and that haha, desperation I guess.
Ever since I owned anm LG G2 whose touchscreen failed, and an LG G4 that bootlooped after 4 months, Im not buying LG again in my lifetime.

I used to have an Xperia Z2 which had exquisite speakers and good sound, but kept this phone because the cameras is quite better... I don't think I regret it though, even with this.

Guess Id have to keep listening to music on my desktop if I want hi-fi stuff, what a shame.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 18
You could also use a Bluetooth amp/DAC, like the FiiO BTR5, Qudelix 5K, etc.
Or consider getting IEMs with higher impedance and/or lower sensitivity.
Maybe something like the iFi IEMatch would also work.

Mmm but using that kinda defeats the purpose right? Like, with a wireless DAC/AMP the sound quality might be reduced enough that I may as well just use my bluetooth earbuds, in which i dont have this problem

Also, I did try my high impedance headphones and it kinda fixes it, but as it's not powerful enough to drive them... you know, its not super pleasant to use them haha.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 18
Mmm but using that kinda defeats the purpose right? Like, with a wireless DAC/AMP the sound quality might be reduced enough that I may as well just use my bluetooth earbuds, in which i dont have this problem

Also, I did try my high impedance headphones and it kinda fixes it, but as it's not powerful enough to drive them... you know, its not super pleasant to use them haha.
Not necessarily. Does your phone support LDAC, Apt-X HD, or Apt-X? To my ear LDAC is very, very close to wired; Apt-X is very close to LDAC. I can hear a tiny difference between LDAC and wired if I'm really listening for it, but if I'm just enjoying the music I don't really notice at all.

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 18
Not necessarily. Does your phone support LDAC, Apt-X HD, or Apt-X? To my ear LDAC is very, very close to wired; Apt-X is very close to LDAC. I can hear a tiny difference between LDAC and wired if I'm really listening for it, but if I'm just enjoying the music I don't really notice at all.

I have no clue if it supports it, any way to check?

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 18
If you have developer options enabled on your phone, you can check there, under Bluetooth Audio Codec.

To enable developer options, go to settings and search "build number;" tap the build number seven times; a new developer options entry will now appear at the bottom of your settings menu; Bluetooth Audio Codec will be under the Network heading.

You might also be able to just Google your phone model to find out which codecs are supported.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 18
I'll try to root but I honestly don't see how that would improve things.

If the problem is in the software put in there by the manufacturer and not the hardware then that goes back down to base Android without all the other add-ons. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't because the problem is something else.

How would I use a DAC?
Well Idk, thats why I asked if I could use it with no OTG, didnt i. Im out of luck I guess.

It was a rhetorical question. You can't. Unless there's a Made For Android-badged DAC that won't require OTG the same way a Made for iPhone/iPad DAC-HPamp will use the plain sync cable instead of going through the Camera Connection kit that triggers data output as host device. In short something like Android Auto but for home audio, and I haven't seen such a feature outside of some home theater receivers.

In short...might as well get another phone if it doesn't have OTG functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back