Static out of my E1
Jun 8, 2010 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaw2ek

100+ Head-Fier
So I picked up a black E1 last week and like the sound. I even put up a quick review here. It works fine on my 4th gen Nano, but I get a lot of static on my 5.5gen ipod classic. I just tried to restore the ipod, but the static remains.  Although I like the E1, I primarily bought it to use with my classic with rockbox and my TF10.  If I can't get this to work, I my have to return it.  By the way, I get no output in rockbox and am guessing I never will. That would be ok, as long as i could get it to work with ipod firmware without static.  Is there a solution to this? I have tried searching, but no luck

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 7
It is not hiss. The sound is choppy, like clipping, but more static-like, if  that makes sense.  There are a few posts in other forums that suggest its a grounding problem, but those are referring to DIY LODs.  I was hoping for a solution I could more easily fix.  I have an E3 and a cmoyBB as well so I am know about hiss with IEMs.  This is clearly different.  I doubt its clipping, but maybe I'll experiment with that later...

Another thought is my source.  I bought my iPod classic refurbished, so maybe it already had an issue. The only thing is I know that i have used it successfully with my speaker dock.  At least using Rockbox. Not sure about the Apple firmware.

I am starting to think I may not find an answer...

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 7
Problem is...I also get static out of my speaker dock now.  I am not sure that I have ever used my 5.5gen before with the dock as I usually use my nano with the dock.

The E1 still works well with the nano, so I guess that is how I will use it. Not sure I want to keep it though, since it seems to have decreased the battery life more than I expected.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Update:

Last night, I tried a couple of other things:
1) I downgraded the Apple firmware 1.3 --> 1.2.1.  Static still there.
2) I reloaded Rockbox (had done a full restore last week). Lo and behold, the line out works!  The E1 remote functions did not work, but I expected this. No big deal.

After this, I also noticed that there is an on-off setting for line out, which was set to off, curiously.  So I turned it on. This morning I decided to try the E1 with Apple firmware again. Still static. So, I rebooted into Rockbox. Now, the remote functions work too!  I discovered this when I paused my iPod and put my TF10 down and noticed the iPod playing. I must have hit the play/pause as I put it down! Now that I have full function in Rockbox, I have no need for the Apple firmware.

BTW, I have noticed that the static comes in during heavy bass or drum hits.  This occurs even when EQ is off. It even occurs using "Bass Reducer" EQ, which is what I often use with TF10s.  I have read of this happening with some iPhones as well, but nobody seems to have a fix.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Great to have these updates. I thought for sure that something was wrong there. But I'm glad you were able to get it all resolved.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back