Static Noise in Portable Rig
Oct 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rangerid

500+ Head-Fier
Recently, I started noticing a static type of noise in my headphone whenever I move my rig around. The music will fade in and out and it's at its worst when I have it in my pocket or move it a lot. 

My set-up is: iPhone4 -> CLAS -> Pico Slim -> Starkey Customs

How does one even go about diagnosing where the problem is with limited equipments? I have only tried a different USB-USB without any luck. The headphones never have this problem when drove directly by a DAP.

Can someone with more experience in this field help me? Has anyone had similar issue and know what the problem could be possibly caused by?

Really appreciate any help, thanks. 

(Don't know if this is an appropriate section, mod can move to a different section if necessary)

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the suggestion justin. The 3.5mm jack of my Starkey SA43s are gold plated but I cleaned it with alcohol wipes anyways. There doesn't appear to be any defects or oxidation. 

Do you think this could have been caused by weather conditions? Prior to having this issue, my phones have lost sound briefly in one channel, usually the right, and have had to restart the Pico Slim to resolve the issue. I have found that this only happened during the winter times, around 7-13C. I haven't had that particular issue recently after started getting issues with the static. 

I didn't take my stack outside for the past few days and only listened indoors and haven't had that problem. So as far as I can tell, the problem only happens when my stack moves around a lot. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Bump, issue just acted up again today when I went out. =/

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 8
I can tell you that it is most likely related to static buildup affecting the pico slim.  I've had that problem walking around in a jacket that is prone to static build up making crackle and pop sounds with the pico slim with each movement of the arm.  I've also been able to take out one channel from time to time.  A power-off and back on makes everything back to normal.  Some headphones seem to transmit static more easily and cause more problems, the ones with the rubbery cables.

This doesn't seem to affect my other amps, maybe the digital circuits inside the pico slim is sensitive to static while pure analog amps are unaffected.

Luckily I use my pico slim as a "transportable" and not while actually moving around. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I can tell you that it is most likely related to static buildup affecting the pico slim.  I've had that problem walking around in a jacket that is prone to static build up making crackle and pop sounds with the pico slim with each movement of the arm.  I've also been able to take out one channel from time to time.  A power-off and back on makes everything back to normal.  Some headphones seem to transmit static more easily and cause more problems, the ones with the rubbery cables.

This doesn't seem to affect my other amps, maybe the digital circuits inside the pico slim is sensitive to static while pure analog amps are unaffected.

Luckily I use my pico slim as a "transportable" and not while actually moving around. 

Wow I think you nailed it! I never have any problems when the Pico Slim is in Jeans but in Track Pants, which are prone to static build up, I almost always have the problem, especially if I walk fast. I also have that crackle and pop sound like you have mentioned. I just had another issue where both channeled completely died off and like you said, a power off and on fixes everything. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back