Static in a lot of songs, using HD 25-1-ii's... Faulty Headphones??? i.e. Nine Inch Nails - Only.
Jan 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I've recently purchased a pair of HD 25-1-ii's and they sound great, however I'm trying to determine if they are faulty...

I'm getting static/ crackling in quite a few tracks (especially in 'loud' or 'busy' songs).

I also get the static crackling in lower volumes, so it's not due to me blasting the volume. So the sound does not discriminate to volume.

One song that i noticed produces this sound in the headphones is Only, by Nine Inch Nails. The sound occurs 25 seconds in until 40 seconds in.

I originally thought it was due to MP3 files being compressed. So I ripped the CD into both FLAC and WAV, and both of these files don't make a difference to the static or the crackling.

Is this due to possible faulty headphones, the recording of the music itself (even in lossless) or is the HD25-1-ii just not up to the task of handling some of these songs? I've also head that the HD25's are extremely unforgiving headphones when it comes to the quality of the source, revealing lots of distortion, static etc... I just don't think songs would be recorded and distributed with this sort of static or crackle apparent.

Cheers guys, any help much appreciated as I can return these in the next couple of days if something is wrong.

Thankyou!

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 14
It could be the recordings themselves, as you point out. Is the crackling like the sound from vinyl records? It could be intentional, like how some R&B tracks have it (e.g. Aguilera's album "Back to Basics", Alicia Keys on "As I Am").

You're only hearing it on one particular track, at the exact same point of the track, right? 

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 14
I can hear the sound on a few tracks i.e. the intro of Back to the Primitive by Soulfly, the chorus of Sing for the Moment by Eminem (this is very minimal though) and in certain parts of the song Vicarious by Tool. Again, the volume doesn't make a difference. So i'm worried that certain frequencies or sounds are causing the HD25's to make the static/crackle sound.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 14
That doesn't sound good. Crackle is at a fixed loudness, regardless of what volume you set your player to?
Seems like it's not a recording issue. Try different players/sources?

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 14
No the crackle seems to get louder/quieter depending on the volume i.e. i turn it down and and the crackle is there, but quieter.

I've tried listening to the song through my PC and iPod, the sound is exactly the same...

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 14
It only ever happens on the same songs. Most songs are perfect and sound reat.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 14
Ok we're going in a loop here. If the crackle's only there for a few songs, and always happens on the same songs at the same parts of the songs, even when you change players, then it's probably just inherent on the recordings.

If you're somehow convinced that there's something wrong, then you need to call Sennheiser already.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Is it present with other headphones?

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 14
Well, i've got a pair of Dedon d2000's on the way, my other earphones have the noise as present... but i thought that could be because they are of low quality so that noise would be expected of them at times. They are in no way shape or form comparable to the Senns...

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 14
I have a feeling that on the Only song by NIN it is supposed to be there. I can hear it on my headphones when listening to it on youtube. I'm listening to the rest of the tracks you mentioned to see if I hear it too. 

I also definitely hear it in Sing for the Moment by Em. When I turn the volume up, it usually gets drowned out by everything else going on. I can only hear it at lower volumes. I can't hear it on the Tool song, though I will admit I only listened for like 30 seconds. Both of these tracks I own, Tool is ripped FLAC and Em is ripped WMA lossless. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey tmars, thanks

I'm leaning towards that it might be in the tracks. Do you have or use a DAC? What headphones do you own?

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Hey tmars, thanks

I'm leaning towards that it might be in the tracks. Do you have or use a DAC? What headphones do you own?

I use the Asus Essence STX. I listened to them on 3 different headphones. My Koss DJ100, Skullcandy Aviator, and my Koss MV1. My AKG Q702, which is my best headphone unfortunately isn't here at the moment. When I get it back, I can listen with that as well. 

May 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 14
with tool vicarious song ive bought to physical copies because i couldnt stand the crackling... I realized it was a production flaw .. im using ath m50s and a fiio e17 and ive tried the song through many sources and still got it it rly annoying for a band that takes so long to make a record you would think they would find these mistakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back