Static Electricity
May 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ashkii21

100+ Head-Fier
This may be a dumb question but can a static electricity shock damage your headphones?
I was listening to some music and I had on a sansa clip and a yuin PK3 while I picked up a bathroom rug. I felt the shock of the static electricity go through the rubber earbud cord (against my shirt) and it also shocked my ears. I could also hear loud snaps and pops in the earphones when it happened. I checked the Clip and it seems to be okay. Also the PK3 seems okay, I haven't noticed any damage. I was just wondering if I get shocked like that again, would they be damaged? I live in AZ and the humidity is very low here, that is why it's easier to get static electricity around here.

May 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't think so. Static electricity is a usually pretty weak, so I doubt it'll anything other than deafen you with the occasional loud snaps.

May 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 15
Ah good, I'm glad that nothing was ruined. I just got my Yuin PK3 this past week and a couple of days later I got that static electricity shock. I was afraid that I ruined my new earbuds, since I heard those loud pops and cracks when I was shocked.
ksc75smile.gif

May 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 15
The short answer: Probably not much to worry about.

A slightly longer answer: Static electricity is very high in volts, but low in amps. If it's a strong enough shock to hurt your finger, it can kill things such as microchips. But headphones should generally just consist of drivers, and crossovers if they have more than one driver. Single driver headphones should be immune to static. Multiple driver headphones it would depend on the design of the crossovers. They shouldn't be too susceptible either.

PMP's should be designed so static through the headphone jack won't hurt them. But with cheap brands you never can tell if they're designed properly.

May 2, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 15
yeah, unless the headphones have active crossovers (which I have never heard of) you will be fine with static shocks. as was just said, they do not contain any chips that contain any roms or other ciruits that may be effected by the zap

May 2, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The short answer: Probably not much to worry about.

A slightly longer answer: Static electricity is very high in volts, but low in amps. If it's a strong enough shock to hurt your finger, it can kill things such as microchips. But headphones should generally just consist of drivers, and crossovers if they have more than one driver. Single driver headphones should be immune to static. Multiple driver headphones it would depend on the design of the crossovers. They shouldn't be too susceptible either.

PMP's should be designed so static through the headphone jack won't hurt them. But with cheap brands you never can tell if they're designed properly.

nice to know my new office is fairly static electricity prone.

what about IEMs?

May 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Earbud static: It's the heat, not the humidity | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com

Quote:

An Apple technical note appears to suggest that iPod users this summer might consider wearing cotton and avoiding hyper-air-conditioned rooms when exercising. If not, be prepared for a shock.

According to the note Apple Earbuds and static electricity, users of any portable electronic device with earbuds can receive a “small electrostatic discharge from the headphones” in a place, indoors or outdoors, where the air is very dry.

Has anyone ever had this happen? My MacBook gives off wicked static shocks sometimes under certain circumstances (documented problem) and it's not pleasant. I imagine a shock to the inside of your ear would be even worse.

May 21, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earbud static: It's the heat, not the humidity | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com

Has anyone ever had this happen? My MacBook gives off wicked static shocks sometimes under certain circumstances (documented problem) and it's not pleasant. I imagine a shock to the inside of your ear would be even worse.

Happens during winter here, but not summer as it gets humid.

May 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 15
My Zune rebooted twice in my air-conditioned office as I pulled it out of my pocket yesterday. Nice "pops" when it happened... It won't be back in the pocket again, as it will go on my belt or arm, if need be.

May 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 15
Happens all the time up here in Alaska. Winter is cold and dry as a bone so there are static discharges everywhere. Earbuds are not an exception.

May 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 15
Yeah happens here in Arizona also, low humidity, except maybe during monsoon season. I thought that it would damage my earbuds but I found out that it doesn't (static electricity has high voltage but not enough power to damage headphone drivers). The worst is just the popping and cracking and the shock you feel later. I asked this same question in the forums. Someone said that if there is an active crossover in the headphones (dual drivers?) it may damage the crossovers but very few headphones have those I think.

edit: Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ricity-422427/

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #15 of 15
This happens to me fairly often. I was going to ask about it here, but found this topic instead. I wear Sennheiser PX100s at my desk, with a floor mat over carpet beneath me. Every now and then when i move or wheel around in my chair I hear static/pops in my headphones. Never physically felt a shock though.

Everything ok then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back