Static/crackling sound in right earbud : Why?
Jun 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 27
The previous posts listed some probable causes. Here are some additional ways to diagnose the problem:
1) Be sure your audio plug is clean. Clean it even if it doesn't look dirty.
2) To check the cable, wiggle both the audio plug in the player while the music is playing or the wire as it goes into the IEM while the music is playing. If you have a poor connection, wiggling the wire should make the crackling sound.
3) As mentioned, switching the phones might be helpful. If you don't have the software to switch the channels, then buy a couple of adapters and cables at Fry's or Radio Shack and wire up a channel switching cable. If the distortion moves to the other ear, the problem is likely in the source or the player.
4) Switch to a different player and listen to the same material. If the distortion is still there, it's not the player.
5) Finally, try listening to the material at different volumes. If the distortion disappears at a lower volume, you probably have a bad IEM driver.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #17 of 27
Well to answer those questions

-Cleaning it made no difference to the crackling sound

-The sound is present at all times whether i wiggle the plug or cable

-Sound is present both on my PC and my cowon S9

-Crackling sound is present at all volumes

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Question2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Sound is present both on my PC and my cowon S9

-Crackling sound is present at all volumes

If the noise appears in your PC and your other player, then is the source. Your IEM's are fine.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 27
Erm, not what i meant...

I meant the sound is present, if i use both my PC and my player to test...but its only present on the HR2s. Note that i didnt have this problem with the HR2s previously(been using them for close to half a year). Really doubt its the source, most likely its the cable or driver...

But if its the driver, is there any way to fix it?

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #22 of 27
I would use a multimeter to measure the output of ur line out to check of the output is stable in this case

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #24 of 27
Question 2, I highly suspect your audio files to be the culprit. Do try a stereo channel reversal to isolate that fault. I use winamp, and under the DSP/Effects section theres a stereo channel reversal preset that allows you to do that. Maybe the other head-fiers may be able to advise you if you are using foobar as i think its quite popular here.

From my experience with speakers and headphones, faulty drivers tend to distort non linearly with increasing volume. IE the distortion becomes present and obvious after increasing the volume beyond a certain level. If the sound distorts from a low level, and the level of distortion is matched to the level of music as you raise the volume, its highly likely that its audio/source related.

Another way to confirm a driver fault is to run sine sweeps, you should be able to detect a sudden roughness in the sound as it sweeps across the faulty region. If you set had been under warranty, its easier for the dealer/servicer to reproduce with the faulty frequencies.

My advice is to try swapping the channels, and u will be able to rule out audio files/source entirely. I doubt that drivers are able to be repaired, and even then if it will be of a suitable quality. Chances are that getting a new pair is more economical given that you pair is probably old enough that you had to reterminate the jack plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back