Static/crackling sound in right earbud : Why?
Jun 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Question2

100+ Head-Fier
Okay so i just noticed that i get static/crackling sounds in my right earbud under very specific conditions(certain parts of a track, when some game sound effects are played). The noise is not present with my stock earbuds. Warranty is void due to a jack retermination. Any ideas whats wrong? Did the retermination of the jack fail(cable not soldered properly, etc?), is the cable damaged, drivers, something else? Any particular way i can fix it?

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 27
definetely sounds like the retermination isnt 100% solid and certain sounds might take more power than others and thats when its shorting out. When my old Shure e2c's started having problems with the right angle connector shorting out when it was bent a certain way, Even when it was sounding normal and not shorting out certain music would cause it to short

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 27
It's the wire. My UE has been like that on the left side for a while. Currently waiting for the replacement cable from Logitech. If your earbud isn't replaceable you're pretty much screwed.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 27
So is the problem always reproducible at the same place of a certain track that you previously find problems with? If yes then it could be poor recording/transcoding? Maybe they are simply better than the stock ones and could reveal the distortion.

If not then as the others have said could well be the cable getting shorted out somewhere.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 27
It could be distortion from your source, a problem with your driver, or a problem with your termination.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 27
It could be distortion from the soruce that i am unable to notice with my stock earbuds, but i have been using the same type of earphones(HR2s in this case) for close to half a year, with no such issues. It only cropped up recently.

Is there any way to narrow down the issue so i can decide what to do next? For example, if i know its the cable, i can get them recabled, but doing so and finding out that its a problem with the drivers will hurt.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 27
To rule out source, use some computer software to reverse left and right and see if the distortion changes sides.

I doubt its termination issues, most termination issues are more due to cable motion rather than certain specific parts of a song.

To rule out drivers, you can try reversing left and right driver units between your ears.

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 27
I agree with xolp, reversing the channels is a good way to determine whether its the source or the phones. Make sure the if it's the source the results are always repeatable (this is important!).

I don't think there is an easy to tell if its one or both of the drivers or cable, since they are bound together in hardware. Unless it is obvious that distortion and cracking sound come or go as you move the cable around.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xolp's last sentence doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry if i wasnt too clear. What i meant was to wear your left earpiece in your right ear, and your right earpiece in your left ear.

Reason was that some years back i developed a sensitivity to sounds with large dynamic range of certain frequencies. I heard crackling distortion in my right ear. After much isolating, it turned out to be my ear itself.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if i wasnt too clear. What i meant was to wear your left earpiece in your right ear, and your right earpiece in your left ear.

Reason was that some years back i developed a sensitivity to sounds with large dynamic range of certain frequencies. I heard crackling distortion in my right ear. After much isolating, it turned out to be my ear itself.

Ohhh, now I get it.
wink.gif

Ya good idea to isolate some physical problem too!

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 27
I can confirm the following so far :

-I can hear the crackling sound even in both ears as long as i use the right earbud

-The crackling noise is repeatable, but to a certain extent. E.G. Let say right now i load up my media player and play a certain track. I will hear the crackling sound. I will pause and straight away replay the track. The crackling noise will be gone. If i pause for a longer time and replay the track, the crackling noise will be back.

Have not found a way to switch channels though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back