State your reasons: Why would you buy an ER-6 if you already had the ER-4?
Nov 29, 2001 at 2:30 PM Post #16 of 30
haha, I think the best reason is to say that you love her.
You love her for no reasons and the same as you love headphones for no reasons.
Then buy her a bunch of flowers.

I cannot find any better excuses.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 30
I think I can help a bit with this...

Isolation: 20 dB (the 4's have 30, I think). Sony V6's have... what? 8-12 dB? Remember, the scale is logarithmic.

Amp needed: Sorta. They are 50 Ohms, not as low as the 4Ps (27 ohms), not as high as the 4S (100 ohms). You might get away with not using an amp, but it'd be better to have one, as always.

Nov 30, 2001 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 30
The reasons that I will procure the ER6, dispite the fact that I already own the ER4S:

1 - Less isolation. I need tho hear the phone ring at work, and the ER4 shuts out a bit too much.

2 - Lower impedence and higher efficiency for use with my ipod. I don't need more volume, but I think that the sound quality will benefit from a better impedence match.

3 - Less costly system in the gym. I love the sound, but I am always a bit worried about my ER4s getting snagged or crushed or dropped in the toilet or... Lower investment means less pain when something does happen.

4 - It is a new toy!

For your specific situation the cost will be double, since the perfect "I'm sorry for being an audiogeek" gift for your girlfriend is obvious. His and hers ER6 puts a nice romantic spin on the purchase, don't you think?

Nov 30, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 30
Greg,

She loves my... Grado MS-1s! She would never use my 580s ("too bulky") or Etys ("too yucky"). Somehow, she thinks the Grados are juuuust fine. They are light, open (so she can hear her boss at work), they don't mess up her hairdo, and she likes the styling (?!)

Nah. Guess what happened. My birthday is next week (December 8th). The Etys will be my birthday gift from her!

Can you tell I'm in love?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 30
FjHuerta-

Gracias, mi amigo!
Just what I needed to hear.
THese shall be my phones, however, I might wait until the ones with the equal length cords for right and left come out (I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS WON'T BE DONE TO BEGIN WITH). Being a freaky audiophile type wierdo geek, I don't want anything but the final product. But that means I gotta wait.... Oh well, by then I can find a portable amp that is well suited for the '6s. I'm sure before too long some of you will have tried a variety of port amps. I'm talking to JMT re: either the Cmoy or CHA 47, I just didn't know I'd be powering.... N E WHey, thanks for the info.
Incedentally, are you guys into home audio (you know, SPEAKERS)or predominantly just PHONES????
g13

Nov 30, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by g13
FjHuerta-

Incedentally, are you guys into home audio (you know, SPEAKERS)or predominantly just PHONES????
g13

I am a bit into it, although (for obvious reasons) it's a lot harder to buy a good speaker set than a good headphone set!

I own a pair of BP8B's, BP6Bs, ProMonitor 100's, BP2X (Definitive Technology), Control LA's, LX44, LX66 (JBL), and a set of ProSubs (2), PF-15 (1) (Definitive), plus a passive Cerwin-Vega! subwoofers. I also have a B&O tabletop sysem that sounds merely OK.

I am in the process of designing a HT with polys, diffusors, absorbers, and a bass trap. That's the really interesting part, since a good acoustic treatment can make any speaker sound a lot better, and I am satisfied with my equipment (which is installed all around my parents house -I've spent some 15 years buying all that stuff).

Nov 30, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #26 of 30
Hola g13.

I guess that I am into home audio, considering that I have collected more gear over the years than I have room for in my house. I design speaker systems in my spare time, and actually get around to building them occasionally. I tried for years to get the indoor acoustics to my taste (LEDE room, nearfield, etc) but gave up when I figured out that I have an ideal location to listen outdoors. No single system mod that I have ever tried has made as big an acoustic improvement as getting rid of the walls. Not by an order of magnitude.

I hope to finish up the shotgun subs (just my name for them) that I am building right after X-mas. They should be good for 20 to 70 hz +/- 1 db. This is important when there is no room gain out on my "listening deck". There is also no room overhang or ringing!

I also have a couple of simple 2-way satelites in the works. I am too lazy to design crossovers, so I just tri-amp with an external electronic x-over. I keep everything modular, so the experiments never end!

fjhuerta, keep us up to date on your listening room. I still have my video room to contend with. I haven't moved that outdoors, yet...

Later

Nov 30, 2001 at 8:21 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
fjhuerta, keep us up to date on your listening room. I still have my video room to contend with. I haven't moved that outdoors, yet...

Later

Greg, I am curious about your outdoor experiments. I am trying to kill resonances in my room, but I have figured out that it's a very, very tricky proposition, to say the least. Mainly, because if I add too much absorption, I'll end up with a dead sounding room. And if I use dispersion with polys, the cost will rise tremendously.

I think I might make a web page out of all of this, since it seems there is little information available (other than what I 've found printed).

Take care!

Francisco.

Nov 30, 2001 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by g13
Yes, it sure is. Not nearly as yummy as some info on the ER-6... Isolation, Amp needed, etc....

rolleyes.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #30 of 30
Hola Francisco.

Room resonance (shudder). (intentional pun)
wink.gif

The house that I own now is frame construction with drywall interior. It is amazing how much the walls get into the act at low frequencies. It is not just standing waves, but walls acting as secondary radiators that add coloration. I would love to do some inerferometry on walls to quantify the effect some time, but I don't see that happening in the near future. I am sure that somebody has mapped the phenomenon.

For LF I have had the best luck using my subwoofers in nearfield, and keeping the crossover below 70hz, with a steep slope. Ideal crossover point is a tradeoff between hearing the subwoofer location and room excitations due to the main (satelite) speakers. It typically requires larger subwoofers since you are no longer taking advantage of the room gain. Some of the servo-controlled types or heavily equalized units might also work. I haven't tried them. I tend to think of big cone motions as a bad thing.

I personally never cared for the effect of diffusers. My impression was that they lower signal to noise from the source by raising the ambient noise floor.

Outdoor listening is pretty neat, but has some obvious tradeoffs (like no thermostat). The bass response is astounding. It is tight, with no overhang at all. Very much headphone-like. The tradeoff is depth. There is only the ground plane for gain, so you don't get any of that 6db/octave lift that happens indoors. Fortunately there is plenty of room out there, so my 8 cubic foot (each) shotgun subs look downright diminutive.

I am still working out what is best for the rest of the spectrum. I am using a Morel top mount tweeter, with a peerless midwoofer in a bass reflex cabinet. My project satelites will use the same tweeter (at first) and an Eton woofer in a larger br cabinet. At some point I will probably go to a ribbon tweeter, then start fiddling with amplifiers. The experiment will never be complete.

I like your idea for a web-site. I think that room acoustics should be a higher priority for most serious listener's. It can, in many situations, make much bigger improvements than electronics and cables.

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back