state of budget planars (or ?), I'm looking
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaywillin

Headphoneus Supremus
while I use my grado325 goldie and love it, it's time to add something, before I go and get a hd6xx, which i really like,
I thought I'd see what the consensus here for something budget, main objective is something to cleanse the palette so
to speak.
I've had a few headphones , have my ideas , but I haven't shopped in a couple or three years
lets hear them !

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 5
I really like gaming with a Grado 325 and Khadas Tone2, such accurate imaging. Are you looking for a different sound? Some I like as much, but are different:
Audio Technica ADH1000x best female vocals, big soundstage. No amp needed.
Hifiman HE5XX all arounder. Comfort, good soundstage, no treble harshness. I use a pair every day.
I have the HD6DXX and it's nice, but like the HE5XX more for comfort.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Don't know if you think this is "budget" or not, but I think the Sundara is hard not to recommend, it's such a great all-around'er IMO.
The new Moondrop planar is also getting very good feedback, but haven't heard that one.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 5
I really like gaming with a Grado 325 and Khadas Tone2, such accurate imaging. Are you looking for a different sound? Some I like as much, but are different:
Audio Technica ADH1000x best female vocals, big soundstage. No amp needed.
Hifiman HE5XX all arounder. Comfort, good soundstage, no treble harshness. I use a pair every day.
I have the HD6DXX and it's nice, but like the HE5XX more for comfort.
I love just about anything Grado ! they have "it" soul. Even though I've I've had lots of headphones, I'm never
without Grado, Thee HE5xx is near the top of the list

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Don't know if you think this is "budget" or not, but I think the Sundara is hard not to recommend, it's such a great all-around'er IMO.
The new Moondrop planar is also getting very good feedback, but haven't heard that one.
that is at the top of my budget, I do have a lot interest in the Sundara, almost got one when they came, but I was downsizing at the time
I'd seen the moondrop, that's more of what I'm looking for, suggestions of newer models, there are more than when I was real active here
My favorite planar was the LCD-x, loved the LCD-2 fazor, hell classic too, and really loved the HE500 (OG)
as for the voicing, I'm really just looking for more soundstage, space, I've said Grado puts me on the stage, front row
I want middle to just behind the the center of the audience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back