Starving student with low impedance phones
Jul 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have any experience with this amp driving low impedance headphones? I just purchased a vintage dt48 25ohms and they don't do well with my LD mkV. The bass is really  anemic with that amp. Would the starving student pair well with very low impedance phones? If not, any other suggestions? I'm not quite starving yet, but my budget is pretty tight. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 5
My (similar to starving student) amp drives low impedances (Grado, Sony, and even K701 {60 ohms but very hard to drive}) very well. 

Its not the amp that is the reason for the DT48 having no bass. Its that the DT48 have no bass. You can tweak it a little to bring the bass up, but the do have their limits.

Perhaps something with active bass boost?

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 5
I was thinking the same until a couple of people from the dt48 thread told me otherwise. So you think a different amp won't make much of an improvement over my LD mkV? With an impedance adapter I'm getting better bass quality, but still not enough quantity. Without it the bass was really bad. I'm using them mainly for mixing now, so if I want to check the low end I use k702's and/or speakers. The k702 sounds like a bass monster compared to the dt48 with the mkV amp.
confused.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 5
the M3 does bass, even without bass boost.  the B22 has a skosh more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back