Starving Student Powerful Enough For HD600's?
Mar 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
Well, as you might have figured, I'm just wondering if a Starving Student MiniMillett Tube Amp will be enough power to get HD-600's going?

If you're wondering exactly what build I have, I have the one off of Whiplash Audio Dynamics:

Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 18
I've had my K701's plugged into Pete Millets own Starving Student (as seen here) and I thought it sounded fantastic. Not "fantastic for the price", but just really good....period.

The K701's have a reputation for being hard to drive well, but I don't really crank the volume too much when listening to headphones, so YMMV.

I don't think this amp and your HD600's would be bad together at all.

Happy listening
beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExplosiveDuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, as you might have figured, I'm just wondering if a Starving Student MiniMillett Tube Amp will be enough power to get HD-600's going?

If you're wondering exactly what build I have, I have the one off of Whiplash Audio Dynamics:

Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

Thanks!

Yes, it will drive those phones easily. It has heavily class A biased MOSFETs at its output.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 18
technically, it will be fine in terms of power and volume. The only question is whether it will synergize well, to your ears with the HD600, and to that question, you'll probably have to take the plunge! i've never heard the two together

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 18
I have the whiplash amp with my hd-650's are I absolutely love it. Its the best option for the $300 and under pricerange probably. If I were to upgrade it would probably have to be something pretty substantial.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my K701's plugged into Pete Millets own Starving Student (as seen here) and I thought it sounded fantastic. Not "fantastic for the price", but just really good....period.

The K701's have a reputation for being hard to drive well, but I don't really crank the volume too much when listening to headphones, so YMMV.

I don't think this amp and your HD600's would be bad together at all.

Happy listening
beerchug.gif

When you say fantastic, but not fantastic for the price, what exactly do you mean? There's something better? If so you haven't mentioned it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the whiplash amp with my hd-650's are I absolutely love it. Its the best option for the $300 and under pricerange probably. If I were to upgrade it would probably have to be something pretty substantial.

What is your assumption based on?
confused.gif

Have you compared them to other amps in that price range?

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 18
Yeah - There's something about Grado headphones. I've only listened to one pair of them and I didn't really like them as much as the K701's / HD650 that I compared with. Though, it -was- for a classical-esque piece of music, and Grado's are supposedly good for the rockier of musics.

My trouble is that I listen to death metal and heavy rock stuff, and then listen to Jazz / Fusion / Funk stuff too.

I'm going to have to listen again to all the headphones I have available for me to listen on and just listen to some of my favorite genres and feel it out.

But yeah - This amp is really cool. I have nothing to compare it to besides one of those tiny Mustangs and a Pico (I don't own them, but I've heard them), and it doesn't sound any worse to me.

Plus, it glows red and is a tube amp, which makes it cool off of the bat!

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience HD600's don't need an amp.

It will improve the sound finely though.

They don't need an amp.

Then in your next sentence you say an amp will improve the sound finely though.

Im totally confused?

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't need an amp.

Im totally confused?

He's saying that the HD600 will function without an amp; hence it doesn't need one. However, having one will definitely improve things.

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't need an amp.

Im totally confused?

I mean they still sound GOOD without an amp. They're by no means terrible.

Like all headphones though, they improve with an amp. The better the amp, the more the improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back