Starving Student has arrived
Apr 18, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #31 of 39
Here's a thread from the Boston mini meet with pcis of a couple i broght - a whiplash and two DIYs i bought from a head-fier.

The first is in a cookware casing and has a stepped attenuator - the second has now power switch or volume control (designed for PC usage) and has oil/paper caps.

I really do like these a lot - fantastic bang for buck.

Although I have an old Woo 1 (early version of the 3) and it's just a different sound.

The whiplash i had (since sold) was a truly fantastic implementation with it's gain switch.

The DIY cookware implementation is really great - not something you see every day - but the oil/paper version is truly flat out amazing.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 39
Actually, these were DIY-ed with existing cases (a kitchen cookware case and an old entech case - the builder was playing around and sold the cheap when done).

I am getting more into tubes but still consider myself a novice - from that point of view, I love that these these (and the woo for that matter) do have you mess with bias-ing.

As far as having tubes, yeah, you just kind of get into checking out a couple of others, picking up some spares, etc. - kind of like playing with op-amps in a socketed solid state.

I haven't heard a regular millet so don't know if one of these maxed starving students is better - i do like not having to worry or learn about bias before getting into it (i will some time). I would love to hear one of these quirky maxxed ones head to head with a regular one with the relative prices of each taken into consideration.

I think the neat thing about the starving students is that because they are relatively inexpensive folks can play with different designs, some of which can be quirky or richer.

May 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #34 of 39
Sorry I never replied sooner, haven't logged in for a while!

To the point - winner is the EF1.

However, it's not a massive victory on the SQ side - it does have the edge when it comes to critical listening in my opinion, but that's not to take anything away from the Millet. The difference is noticeable, but it's not massive. They sound quite similar I guess, but the EF1 wins with slightly better staging and... well, it's just a little more "open", for want of a better word.

As it stands, the EF1 sits with my Roksan Kandy and the Millet is used with the PC & USB DAC.

Build quality is overwhelmingly better on the EF1. Built like a tank. I've already had the Millet apart to rectify a dodgy solder point on the volume pot. Tube availablility is worth bearing in mind too.

I have a few tubes for both amps, but haven't really felt an urge to roll. Both are thoroughly enjoyable to listen with. Both partner well with the HD600s in my view, allowing hours of musical pleasure without feeling fatigued.

If I had to keep only one, it would be the EF1. That certainly doesn't mean that I want to get rid of the Millet though.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 39
I just received a Starving Student mini millet from Craig at Whiplash audio. What can I say, Craig is a true gentleman. I wanted the mini millet max and the website said there was one B stock but when I tried it was out...it was no big problem to me but Craig was apologetic and gave me a break on the SS and I had to have one as this was going to be my first trip to tube land(it's scary)...I received it within 2 days and am currently breakin' it in. First impressions...wow...love the build and the low/high gain switch-nice to have this for Grado/akg/senn...I really love how this little amp has such a black background no hiss/hum or noise at all and from silence comes music with such nice detail and space between the instruments...I think the tubes are really adding to the texture of the music...especially the bass...it's different...warmer you know. I can't believe the value here...180.00 for this is a steal! I'm comparing it to the GS-1 and though I don't know how it scales yet, it's very encouraging and I can only imagine what it's big brother will sound like(mini millet max) but I think I'm going to want to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back