Starving Student has arrived
Jan 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to a comparison.

sacd_lover, I've heard that first millet there and, if memory serves, it sounded pretty good, actually got fairly warm, and was actually much smaller in size than the picture leads you to believe.

You may have heard one that looked like the first Millet but this amp was only completed two weeks ago. This first one is a maxed out Millet that includes a stepped attenuator. I think these amps sound much better than pretty good. I prefer this amp to the RSA Raptor, Woo 3, Woo 6 and Headamp GS-1 with Grado/ Alessandro headphones. In fact, I think I like this amp as well as the Mapletree Ear+.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grab a Mullard for the EF-1.

The Brimar I have has CV4003 stamped on it - any relation to the Mullard CV4003?

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 39
I got my Mini Millett from Craig at Whiplash Audio 2 months ago. It has had more consistent play time than any other amp I have owned in the last 10 years. To my ear the magic of this little wonder is in the synergy of tube electronics and solid state. The absolute pure depth of silence from the Mini Millett is amazing. The solid state electronics picked for the Mini Millett seem to be very well matched to the brilliant Pete Millett design.The musical presentation is extremely transparent, crisp, detailed and accurate.At the same time there is a warmth, acoustic timbre and naturalness added by the tube stage that belies its hybrid design. I have never appreciated the tube sound more and have owned a few tube amps in the past including the Wheatfield (Millett) HA2 and the Lunch Box II. Whiplash Audio is a joy to deal with and they really have something IMHO.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 39
Dandi, the service I received from Whiplash was nothing but exemplary. Constant communication throughout the process from a chap called Craig Sanborn. We're always quick to berate sloppy service, but praise is not usually so forthcoming. Despite them being in the US and me being in the UK, I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Brimar I have has CV4003 stamped on it - any relation to the Mullard CV4003?

Probably so since they are both British. I bet its a re-branded Mullard.

Edit: I take that back, it looks like Brimar also made a series of CV tubes as well. If you try matching the Anodes (people call them plates) and see if they match that of a Mullard, then you will know.

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 39
I think they forgot this thread ....

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I'm almost positive mine is the only one with a stepped attenuator
tongue.gif
Love these little amps, best bang/buck ever.

^Nope - Got a Noble 31-stepper in mine.
wink.gif

Seriously, upgrade the PSU to one of these medical units
MPS-30-48, Mean Well MPS-30-48

If you need something pre-built, that supplies more current:
GS25A48-P1J, Mean Well GS25A48-P1J
though the ripple is not so good....

More current will give you more detail and the tubes will not run soo hot. The tubes struggle with that .35Amp because of their current draw in addition to the Mosfets. 0.5 Amps would work very well and supply plenty of current.

My 3 channel has a 1 Amp PSU and runs great, but I wouldn't get something more.

Enjoy your amps, these are true performers.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #28 of 39
Apr 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #29 of 39
My HD-600's are being powered by a whiplash audio starving student, and the sound is very nice. Although I've noticed in certain types of music the sound is kind of, not as clear than most. Could this be because of the way the hd-600 sounds? How long does it take to burn in the HD-600's because I have a feeling all it needs to do is burn in for awhile.

Edit: Switched up the RCA interconnects and it sounds amazing now haha. The Starving Student really adds to the music, its got a very lush sound and really makes the bass stand out in particular. I love this thing!

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 39
Have to restrain myself to not hit the buy button. Sexy amp! So inexpensive for being a really nice little tube n transistor guy.

Edit: Screw it. If SACDLover likes it that much, I must own. Gonna use it at work, although maybe I'll flush my M3 (just kidding). Anyone know the best buy tubes for this guy? Amp is ordered now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back