Starting with the best...
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 29
my theory has always been...starting from LOWs to MIDs to HIGHs. That way you can really appreciate the HIGHs...that's what i did with my Home Audio set up. And along the way...buy, sell, and trade is pretty fun also...lots of work, but fun...the anxiety of looking for something and you found it..and the type of deals that you scored...oh...and dont forget with the headaches that come along with it too...But in the end, you'll be happy.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, you don't always know what you want at first. You might buy the best X and then find out what you really like is the best Y. That can be a lot more expensive than kicking around budget gear for awhile before you go all in.

Listen to Uncle Erik. It's like buying a Ferrari and finding out you really wanted that Bentley. OOPS!
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 29
I wonder if anybody here started with high end right away but sortof did it the right way. Went to meets, auditioned a ton of gear, etc. instead of just relaying on reviews. If there is someone like that I would like to know how it worked out for you? For me this would be to difficult. It was bette for me to just start with lower end and work up, loosing some money here and there on purchases I didn't like. I think doing it the former way would take someone with a ton of discipline and probably also some experience with audio outside the hobby; like if they're a musician or something. But now that I have some more high end hear, and updating further is taking me into really expensive territory, and furthermore I'm more of an experienced listener; I'm definitely almost totally transitioning to the disciplined auditioning mentality.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by b17m4p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if anybody here started with high end right away but sortof did it the right way. Went to meets, auditioned a ton of gear, etc. instead of just relaying on reviews.

I sometimes wish I could do this for my next project, but there's something to be said about upgrading an entry level/mid-range system piece be piece. I think you appreciate each upgrade more this way
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #21 of 29
Also keep in mind that the wall between mid-fi and hi-fi is only paper thin. Once you get to a point, the difference between higher end and flagship isn't instantly apparent, other than maybe obvious sound sigs. At a certain point, many of us who've used a fair deal of gear, are looking for specific nuance and detail.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then just sell the Ferrari and buy a Bentley.
tongue.gif

You can, but you take a hit if you bought new. Sometimes as much as 50%. That could be more than it would cost to have bought low end gear and swapped around to see what you like.

The other thing is that not all of the high end headphone gear is in production. You can tie up a lot of time and effort trying to find something you might not like. It took me a year to get a Si2A3. I love it, but it would have been horrible to put that effort and money into it if it wasn't my taste.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sometimes wish I could do this for my next project, but there's something to be said about upgrading an entry level/mid-range system piece be piece. I think you appreciate each upgrade more this way
smily_headphones1.gif

This is definitely true. Over a couple of years, I went Koss Plug to V-Moda Vibe to Atrio, added a HEADSIX, bought an LOD, then went to ER4P (which I love), sold the HEADSIX, added a Sansa Fuze, and I'm awaiting on my new DT880 and Zen Head this week, absolutely giddy and impatient. Stick to what you can afford and work your way up - you'll get great advice for how to maximize your bang for buck at every level from this place.

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #25 of 29
honestly, I agree with the "just because its expensive doesn't make it better"

personally I do think you need at least audition a flagship/statement product, but that doesn't mean you need to own a flagship/statement product, for example the GS-1000 is a nice listen, however I ended up finally buying SR-225's,at roughly 1/5th the price, and imho they have 99% of the same listening enjoyment

this has basically been my consideration in terms of headphone/audio purchases for a while, yes, the top end stuff usually sounds amazing, but theres usually something much cheaper that sounds equal/better, because usually when you get to statement products part of the price is for whatever new exotic thing they've done, and for the limited production #'s

look at the W5000 (won't deny its an amazing 'phone), those ear cups aren't cheap on their own, its also not a product sold for the mass market, so low numbers = higher price, and then of course the business statement that making something more expensive/harder to get == people want it more (which has been proven, forget what the concept is called, but its the basic principle behind why, to most people, a ferrari is so alluring even when a caterham is faster and more "fun" to go speeding around in)

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #26 of 29
As you can see from the posts there is no one right way. I tend to immerse myself in a new hobby and become obsessed with top performance from my gear. That has always been my history meaning that if I start at the bottom and work up I waste alot of time and money as I quickly work my way to the top.

When I came to head-fi I decided to start in the middle. I picked a headphone best suited for musical tastes. I've not looked back and quickly moved up the ladder. If you read posts/reviews with a critical eye and find other head-fiers that seem to have your tastes in music and hear what you do, it cuts down on the oops factor. I've only chosen one headphone I regretted getting.

Take your buying habits and personality and finances into consideration. Start where it makes the most sense to you. I personally like krmathis's response. He started with a great entry level hp and then moved right to the top. Got his feet wet, knew he was here to stay and moved right to the headphone that would make him happiest. May your headphone journey be as successful
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #27 of 29
I also think that the only way to appreciate good gear is to start from the bottom (or the middle) and go up step by step. this way you can listen to the differrences in sound as you go up.
i am a very good example for someone who started from the very bottom of the industry and moved up (but it happend really fast though...
L3000.gif
).

the first headphones i bought was a pair of sennheiser pmx200, which i had plugged to my sansa (yeah..i know..but i was impulsive and stupid as long as sound is concerned) and i thought that this was almost the best i can get.
boy! how i was wrong. i wasnt even close of thinking about bying an amp.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 29
Check out used cans from reputable folk (good reviews). You'll save some lolly and you'll be getting (usually) a nicely burned in set of cans. And if you don't like them, you might be able to sell them for what you paid for them (if you sell them for a bit less, consider that rent).

I'd go with a set of highly regarded phones (read some reviews) and consider buying Sennheiser 600 or AKG 701 or Grado 225 or whatever. When reading reviews consider your listening tastes. If you articulate your listening preferrences, you might ask for recommendations.

I'd be tempted to also hit audio stores to see if I could listen to headphones.

Some headphones (if you are considering portable use) really could use amplification. Check out ratings here of amplifiers.

If you are just going to listen at home and have a good stereo kit, you can probabably go without a dedicated headphone amp for most cans.

If you just want a set of cans that can double for home use and on the road, try Grado SR-60. No need to amp them and they really are terrific and cheap (about 70 bucks here in the US).

If I had a bit of cash, I'd start with Grado SR-60's, a pair of Sennheiser 600's, and a Meier Audio 2Move (it has a built in DAC and a fine crossfeed circuit) amplifier. You'd get the best of the "low end" with the Grado and a fine intro to the high end with the Senns. This should keep you happy for a while until you decide what you like (attend a meet, audition gear at stereo shops).

Cheers!

Good luck on your quest.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starting with something nice might mean you can stop obsessing over gear and get on with your life.

I have to agree with this statement. I had been pondering picking up a set of Sennheiser 595s to 'make do' with and then move on the the 600s later. However, I know my nature; I'm going to be drooling until then and see no real reason for another midstep.... I've had midsteps in headphones over the decades and I've seen myself always looking to go better months or maybe a year down the road. I JUST decided to get back into good cans recently and picked up a budget set of Sennheiser 212Pros to play with about six months ago. They're fine for what they are, but they aren't something you can grow old with.... why spend hundreds of bucks on a set of cans thinking you will likely upgrade soon afterwards? My point is, I'm already ready to upgrade after only 6 months. It isn't cost efficient if you wind up buying one set after another. Upgrade-itis is expensive as hell!

If you think you'll be happy with a midpriced set for, say, a year, then it might be worth the progression. If you think you will be longing for better within 6 months, spend the extra money now rather than lose it on cans you'll wind up selling at a loss or putting on a shelf.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back