Starting Up With a Record Player
Apr 20, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hollabackitsobi

Head-Fier
Alright, so after much contemplation, I stormed into the amazing record store here in Gainesville (Sharpe's Music) and picked up 15 assorted classical LPs for only $50 (they're all quality, too). I figured that with this go-ahead purchase, I'd force myself to buy a record player lest my money go to waste.

Now, with that ballsy move behind me, I've lined up a record player in the Technics SL-1500 (used, from craigslist), and a cartridge in the Denon DL110. Now, I know that I also need speakers, and an amplifier. Is there anything else needed? A pre-amp? A "phono stage"? I'd also like recommendations for quality parts, total budget being about $300 for the parts in question.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 4
You absolutely need a phono preamp. LPs are cut with the RIAA curve, which subtracts some information for various technical reasons. (Google "RIAA curve" for an explanation - it's interesting.) You must have a phono preamp to put the missing information back.

There are inexpensive ones for about $30 that are fine, or you can run an older receiver that already has one built in.

If you're bent on speakers for around $300, I'd seriously look for an old receiver. You can usually find them for free to $50 at garage sales, junk shops and Craigslist. For speakers, I'd look at the PSB Alpha B1. I got a pair for the parents a couple of years ago. They're fantastic value for the money. I got a pair of refurbs (can't see or hear any blemishes) for just under $200. They sound surprisingly good for the money.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks a bunch. I'd like to know the exact amount of components I need and in what path they process the music. As far as I know, it goes: LP --> turntable --> phono preamp --> receiver/amplifier --> speakers. Can headphones be swapped out for the speakers? I have some HD600s that I figured would sound excellent here. Furthermore, I assume it would be much cheaper to go with a headphone amp such as the Little Dot MKIII, and that could then make the path LP --> turntable --> phono preamp --> Little Dot --> HD600s, yes?

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollabackitsobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a bunch. I'd like to know the exact amount of components I need and in what path they process the music. As far as I know, it goes: LP --> turntable --> phono preamp --> receiver/amplifier --> speakers. Can headphones be swapped out for the speakers? I have some HD600s that I figured would sound excellent here. Furthermore, I assume it would be much cheaper to go with a headphone amp such as the Little Dot MKIII, and that could then make the path LP --> turntable --> phono preamp --> Little Dot --> HD600s, yes?

Get a vintage receiver that features a phono input and a headphone jack. Add a turntable and a pair of speakers and you will be all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back