Starting Over with the MD5000 DE
Oct 16, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #16 of 18
I was thinking that the DLIII's output might be a bit "hot", and possibly be internally configurable to lower the output voltage via trim pots, or something. Check your owner's manual so see if that's possible.

I agree that cabling shouldn't be the issue, especially since you are getting the same results from both transports. It is possible that the DLIII is outputing lower frequencies that the LISA has difficulty handling at higher volumes. I wouldn't have guessed that the LISA had such limitations though. The Modwright player I just (begrudgingly) sold had a terrific low end, and output just over 3V from its analog stage, but I never experienced any distortion or muddiness using the NX-02 to the Ultrasones.

Hope this gets sorted out for you soon either way. First thing I'd do is remove the DLIII from the chain & compare so that you can isolate if it's the DAC, the headphones, or the amp.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 18
Things sound a lot better now but I can't trust my ears anymore.

I tried a few different things. I tried other headphones and still heard distortion. So I don't think there is a problem with the headphones.

I hooked the amp up directly to the Sony and it sounded better, more like I remembered. But the more I listened, the more I noticed a small bit of distortion but in the midrange moreso. Maybe it's just a limitation of the amp or the headphone, or both.

Through the Stax amp everything sounds great. Incredibly tight bass. Highly detailed. Big soundstage. Lots of decay. Still has that high frequency sheen but it sounds much more realistic in the treble.

So whatever it is, I think LISA doesn't play well with the DLIII. Maybe I'll ask Triad if they think for any reason there could be a problem.

LISA actually seems to sound better from the analog outs of the Sony. So for now I'll keep it hooked up that way and just feed the Stax from the DLIII. I tried the Predator but my 1/4 to 1/8 adapters didn't seem to be working correctly so I couldn't make a fair comparison.

It's early days with the DAC and there's a bit of a glitch, but the fact that it improves the Stax says a lot to me.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 18
Listening more over the weekend, I think the DAC is just too "hot" for the LISA III for whatever reason. As long as I keep the volume below the level where it distorts the sound is great and with the Stax amp I don't hear it at all.

I should be getting the Caliente today or tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if it's still an issue with that amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back