Starting a new...
Jul 21, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

battleaxe

100+ Head-Fier
So, I decided that my search for clips are not leading to anything that is too well at the price. And I thought about getting the Monster Turbine, but I seem to can't find a reason to pay close $100 for it, when I feel I rather go full size at that price.

So, now I am thinking about getting something that is no more than 40usd, unless there is something way better raising my limit to ~$50. Something that most would say that it sounds nice, with having a sound that balanced where nothing is too overly prominent. Maybe something that produces sound that gets as close as possible to sounding as what the artists intended their stuff to sound like? I want to say natural sounding, but to clear on the wording.
Comfort is also kind of key.

Well one of the phones I am looking at is the JVC FXC50(I hear the FXC70 is much better its not available stateside, unless someone can point to a site that ships here). Is the FXC50 better than Marshmallow, or its next model up?

What about the V-Moda Vibes, how well does this compare to the JVC, or for my needs? I do like the design on these, and they look pretty comfortable. Are they?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 37
ADDIEM (Apple In-Ear Headphones with remote and mic). They're available on eBay for about $30 shipped without the box, or $40 new in box. They're very natural with no glaring weaknesses.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 37
This has seriously been asked like ten times in the past week. The FXC50 has been described to me as bright, even though I have not had a chance to try them yet. The new-gen vibes are generally considered overpriced for what they deliver.

Headphone Advice: What should I get for <$30?

IEM's under $50 comparable to Koss Porta Pro

Cheap-ish IEM's for rock/metal...

IEMs - 50 dollars

Please recommend an IEM, canalphone, or earbud with decent sound and build quality.

EDIT: Just posted my shortlist of fave budget IEMs in another thread, so I'll just repost in here while I'm at it:

MeElec AI-M9 ($20) - Incredible detail for the price, very balanced, good treble extension and clean bass, great customer support
Lenntek Sonix ($20) - Deep, V-moda-ish bass, focus on mids and lows, cheap, very well-built
Soundmagic PL30 ($23) - Fun, forward mids, lots of accessories, comfy
ADDIEM ($30) - Very balanced sound, no real flaws
Maximo iM-490 ($30) - Punchy, comfortable, well-balanced
Head-Direct RE2 ($39) - Very detailed headphones for the price if somewhat cold and a bit bright, forward upper mids/highs, subdued but accurate bass, great customer service
MeElec AI-M6 ($40) - Same as AI-M9 in a different (more comfortable) form factor
Maximo iM-590 ($50) - A bit more balance/clarity than the 490s, better build quality & packaging
Nuforce NE-7M ($55) - Strong bass, fun, popular bang-for-the-buck headphone recommendation, great customer service

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 37
I will say each person as their own needs but thank you. I am looking for a more balance, neutral phones.

Is the V-moda vibe really a new gen? And at 30 is it really that over priced?

I know looks should not really matter but the Maximo iM-490 looks better and more comfortable compared to the Maximo iM-590. Is that really the case?

What about the Nuforce NE-8M they only cost $4 more on amazon. And by strong bass you mean it more prominent because I want a full range and balance of sounds.

What about these Denon's? I have a 20usd credit as they made an error the C551 used or what not is within my budget. How well do they fit my needs?
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHC351K-...d_bxgy_e_img_b
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHC351K-...d_bxgy_e_img_b

thanks

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say each person as their own needs but thank you. I am looking for a more balance, neutral phones.

Then your best bet are the ADDIEMs, AI-M9/M6, or the RE2's. They all have very detailed signatures with great balance and neutrality.

Quote:

Is the V-moda vibe really a new gen? And at 30 is it really that over priced?

Yes, the current vibes are quite different from the old ones (which I had and which were quite good)

Quote:

I know looks should not really matter but the Maximo iM-490 looks better and more comfortable compared to the Maximo iM-590. Is that really the case?

Having owned both, I can say that the 490s are lighter and seal better when worn over-the-ear, but I always used them with Comply tips. The 590s work better with stock tips and I had no problems with them either. I do greatly prefer the build of the 590s, but if you can pick up a set of 490s for significantly less than MSRP (like I did), they are definitely better bang-for-buck.

Quote:

What about the Nuforce NE-8M they only cost $4 more on amazon. And by strong bass you mean it more prominent because I want a full range and balance of sounds.

There is no such thing as NE-8M. If you mean the NE-8, they have almost no bass at all. It seems like they are just incapable of producing it as EQing/amping does not help.

By strong bass I mean bass presence - bass punch, if you will. The Maximos' Bass is strong, but it does not detract from their overall balance and detail. I don't have a pair of NE-7M's so I can't tell you if the Bass is overwhelming, but I would imagine not from the positive reviews they've been getting.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Thank you. So what would be the next model up in the Head-Direct RE line?

The next model up would be the RE1, but the their current topmodel, the RE0, is on a major discount at the moment and can be had for $99. The RE1 is still $139.

Search it, there are a lot of threads active about it.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Thank you. So what would be the next model up in the Head-Direct RE line?

The RE1 is one step up, technically. Then RE0, and then RE3 (coming soon).

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 37
if u've decided on Head-Direct, give the RE1s a skip. go straight to the RE0s being offered at $99 this summer only.

I've only heard the RE2s so far(they're pretty good) and many people seems to concur that RE0s are another step up.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 37
Well 50usd is like my max, but at 100usd I may as well look at the Monster Turbine, or a full size cans. Or is the RE0 better than the Turbines? So where would the RE3 fit in their line, I take it they are either going to replace the RE2 or is a lower model than the RE2?

What about the Denon I posted how do those compare to the RE2?

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Well 50usd is like my max, but at 100usd I may as well look at the Monster Turbine, or a full size cans. Or is the RE0 better than the Turbines? So where would the RE3 fit in their line, I take it they are either going to replace the RE2 or is a lower model than the RE2?

What about the Denon I posted how do those compare to the RE2?

Like I said above, Head-Direct's line goes RE2<RE1<RE0<RE3

The RE0s are a completely different animal than the Denons and Turbines. They are rather cold, neutral and analytical. The Denons and Turbines are both bassy phones.

Edit:
Quote:

Erm... Reasons? The 200v, for example, was $25 a month ago. Now its $99. Definitely NOT bang-for the buck.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 37
Yeah I read good things about the 200v but for the lower price they were at not the 100 they are now. But if they do go down to 25, again I should get then right? What about the 220 for about 60?

I did read a review saying the Turbines were reasonably balanced, then again against the RE0 or even RE2 maybe not.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said above, Head-Direct's line goes RE2<RE1<RE0<RE3

The RE0s are a completely different animal than the Denons and Turbines. They are rather cold, neutral and analytical. The Denons and Turbines are both bassy phones.

Edit:

Erm... Reasons? The 200v, for example, was $25 a month ago. Now its $99. Definitely NOT bang-for the buck.

Quality, the 170v I have used is very quality, and sound is great. So the 200 and 220 should be way better. What about their Metro Fi 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back