Starter tube amps?
May 6, 2006 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
Due to the curse that is Head-Fi, I've decided I want to add a tube amp for the sake of having a tube amp, to hear what tube amps are like. For a while I was considering the Little Dot III+ but the quality control history of the LD2 and LD3 put me off it, and I don't want to risk a gamble on something most people here don't have either.

So what are the best tube amps I can get upwards of $800, that will offer great SQ for the price, and would match up well with headphones ranging from a K271S to a K701 or DT880, and beyond, like an AT woody? (I'm also working on upgrading my source, probably going to be a Marantz, Cambridge Audio, or Music Hall).

Right now I'm eyeing the Woo Audio 3, HeadRoom's Millett Hybrid, and the Singlepower PPX3. Which gives the most bang for the buck?

May 6, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 12
Earmax Pro or Singlepower PPX3
tongue.gif

May 6, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 12
$800?!

Why not build the DIY Millett Hybrid? Only about $100 altogether. Or maybe one of the offerings from Bottlehead:

http://www.bottlehead.com/

Their S.E.X. amp kit is $369, and everyone who has one seems happy with it.

$100 will get you an excellent soldering iron and another $100 will get you an excellent Fluke DMM. With those, you can build any tube amp you want. There are hundreds of circuits to choose from, too.

May 6, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 12
May 7, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 12
PPX3 is probably one of the best values though it wasn't my cuppa tea.
I'd say the Earmax is a great deal considering the "neutrality" (if there is such a thing).
If I were buying a tube amp today, I'd be looking hard EC offrerings could I not afford a Raptor.
CPW

May 7, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
IMO this amp looks hardcore - more so than the audiophile version below it.

That is very similar to the Laconic EC-01 sold by Eddie Current. The differences are described in the 6moons review of the EC-01. The link to the review is in my post above.

May 7, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
That is very similar to the Laconic EC-01 sold by Eddie Current. The differences are described in the 6moons review of the EC-01. The link to the review is in my post above.

Well, I'll have to read it, then!
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Mapletree Ear Purist + HD at $600 is a great amp. A bit utilitarian looking but the sound is fantastic.

second this...i actually like the retro look of this amp...and boy, does it make grados sing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back