Starter Desktop Amp with USB?
Aug 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to building amps. I would like to build a SS desktop amp with a USB input?

Are there any kits or recommendations? I would like to have 50mw or higher.

Thanks,
RH

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 12
It would depend on if you just want to stuff a board (full kit) or learn to do a BOM.

I really like my Pimetas (both V1 and V2).  They are portable, but you can plug them in.  But you have to do up a BOM and order you own parts.

Glass Jar has the Mini3 which could be use as a desktop amp if you kept it plugged in.

Increasing the challenge a bit would be a CK2III.  I personally haven't built one, but I like the design a lot.  I'm building an amp based upon the original Kumisa III.

If you want to open you choice to tubes as well, there is more options available as kits.  There doesn't really seem to be a desktop SS kit that I've seen, unless you want to go all the way up to a beta22. 

As for the USB input, it would depend on how much space inside the case you want to dedicated to it.  You could put a BantamDAC or grubDAC in many cases pretty easily.  If you have more space, a gamma1 gives you SPDIF as another input.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 12
Like I said I know very little on how to make an amp. Desktop space is not limited so I can make it as bit as needed, well reasonable. lol USB is a must as this will be the main source, So, I need something simple perhaps has instructions and all that good stuff.  I would like to keep it under $150, and I can used an AC psu if needed.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 12
The uDac-2 is $129, the EF2A is $169; these are decent starter USB amps but not in the V200's class by any means!

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 12
What's a tread?
wink_face.gif

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/

Edit... stupid smiley images. :frowning2:

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Perhaps the Carrie Amp?  The group buy is going down soon.  Will need to choose between a grubDAC or BantamDAC to add with it.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Perhaps the Carrie Amp?  The group buy is going down soon.  Will need to choose between a grubDAC or BantamDAC to add with it.

I'll second that recommendation. I am planning on building a Carrie with a a grubDAC once the new Carrie boards are produced. It will be my work setup and will be really great for my needs: small, discrete, and tidy. It's powered by USB so you don't have a bunch of cords and it is portable, which is nice if you travel with your laptop. The Carrie circuitry is more or less a Mini3 without the battery and associated circuitry, and room for a DAC such as the Bantam or Grub mated to the board. It will fit in the same size case as the Mini3, which is a nice benefit. Anyway, something to look into!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back