Start Making Your Plans For 2011 CanJam @ RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest)!
Aug 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #122 of 262
9/22 edit: part of post retracted

So I was originally not planning to attend this year's RMAF, but a lot of factors have unexpectedly come together and it looks like I wouldn't want to miss this one, so I'll be there. I'll bring gear too and will post that later. Hey JP, will there be a raffle too?

I want to get on my soapbox for a minute and speak to the on-the-fence crowd or folks that just need some persuasion to attend this event:

- Everything headphone-related will be at this show. If you want to hear it, it'll be there. And there's absolutely no substitution for hearing something first-hand instead of merely reading about it.

- These kinds of events aren't just about the gear - they're also about meeting the people behind the names, or the people behind the vendors/MOTs, and that kind of "meet" experience is invaluable. If you have questions or need advice, you can ask. Some of the best info that I've personally gotten has been from talking to people in person, and I highly recommend attending just for that aspect alone.

- As travel cost is always a barrier to a lot of people, I want to point out the following that should help ease the outlay:

1. The venue Marriott has up to quad room rates. That means 4 people per room and hence a 4-way split on room cost if you can find 3 other Head-Fiers to bunk with.

2. Although there is no free transportation between the airport and the venue hotel (the airport is too far from the venue area for the hotel to offer a free shuttle), the cheapest way to get there is by using the RTD light rail public transit (Google it for all the info), which should be ideal for folks traveling very light. The RMAF site offers other transportation options for getting to the hotel from the airport too.

3. If the Marriott and next-door Hilton Garden Inn DTC* are either too expensive or sold out, there are other hotel options nearby as well. There's the Hyatt Regency DTC (close by, just across the street), Hampton Inn DTC (also very close, within walking distance), and Hyatt Place DTC (technically walking distance but a fair bit down the road off the nearest intersection). The Doubletree DTC as well, too far to walk but that hotel offers local transportation.

- Seriously, anyone within at least 1 day's driving distance that has a remote interest in headphones should be driving out to attend this. There's nothing else like it in the world - forgetting about the main RMAF show itself (also a huge reason to attend for the variety of speakers), it'll be one room containing nearly everything that everyone's been posting about on Head-Fi, with even more stuff that no one's posted about yet.

If you don't have time, make time! If you don't have money, find a way to get more money! This is the kind of event that no one could possibly regret attending. No, you do not need to buy more headphones, or an amp or source - put down your wallet and invest in travel to RMAF instead. You'll be glad you did.

I've been to these "CanJam" events for 5 years running so far and they've been awesome every time!

/end soapbox
tongue.gif

* "DTC" is short for Denver Tech Center, if anyone needs that to help find a hotel on Google.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #124 of 262
Definitely attending, not sure for how long yet. The only nice thing about living in Longmont is its proximity to Denver (and hence, RMAF) 
beerchug.gif

(Edit: Looks like I'll be staying all three days since I coincidentally have that Friday off)

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #125 of 262
Steve (ASR) great to see you are attending as well as others. This one is going to be a great time here is an update on vendors we just had

Ultimate Ears
Unique Melody
Bottlehead

all communicate they will be joining us for this years CanJam at RMAF!

Last year I really loved the UE Ref Monitor and want to give it some more ear time this year

I hope Doc Bottlehead brings a tape rig as WOW what a source and his headphone amps are really cool

I am looking forward to wrapping my head around some of thier products given the buzz they've been getting

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #126 of 262
Awesome to see UM join. I was hoping to try their customs. I agree about the tape rig, I've been fantasizing about a setup like that and would love to hear it in person.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #128 of 262

Quote:
Steve (ASR) great to see you are attending as well as others. This one is going to be a great time here is an update on vendors we just had

Ultimate Ears
Unique Melody
Bottlehead

all communicate they will be joining us for this years CanJam at RMAF!

Last year I really loved the UE Ref Monitor and want to give it some more ear time this year

I hope Doc Bottlehead brings a tape rig as WOW what a source and his headphone amps are really cool

I am looking forward to wrapping my head around some of thier products given the buzz they've been getting

****, the more vendors i see the sadder i get.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #129 of 262
Not specifically CanJam, but Resonessence Labs will be attending the "standard" RMAF show in room 418. If anyone gets a chance, I recommend stopping by and chatting to the folks who created the ESS Sabre DACs. They should also have their Invicta unit available to check out - bring an SD card filled with tunes in WAV or AIFF format, and some headphones, and I promise that you will enjoy it. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #130 of 262
And the hits just keep on coming all the way from SE Asia!! I am proud to announce that Uncle Wilson from Jaben will be joining us.

Wilson is a huge part of the community and we could not be happier that he is making the very long trip.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #132 of 262
Folks I am proud to announce that Cavalli Audio will be joining us at CanJam RMAF, this is really turning into a who's who of the headphone audio world!

There are still a few more that are finalizing their plans and commitment so no guarantees but we may still get a few more.

I hope to see you there

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #133 of 262
9/22 edit: post retracted

Ok here's the equipment I'll be bringing:

- Plinius CD-101, HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE & KGSS (so Larry, no need to bring your KGSS), Stax OII MKI and SR-507 headphones, plus most likely an SR-4070 too
- Might also have an Oppo BDP-95 as an alternate CDP, but not 100% sure yet

- laptop PC w/ Arcam rDac, HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, and Audio-Technica AD2000, ES7, and ES55 headphones

Attendance incentive: I'll be giving away either the ES7 or ES55 headphones to a lucky person at the show. That could be YOU!

CanJam@RMAF will be the place to listen to some electrostatic gear!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back