STAR WARS III (ROTS) SPOILER WARNING
May 21, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #31 of 141
I thought it was fantastic, and did indeed live up to all the hype.

I thought it was definitely as dark as it needed to be, tied up just about every loose end, and rounded out the story quite nicely. The action was great, the CGI scenery was incredible, and it really had quite a bit of emotion, especially once the clones started turning on the Jedis.

Only a few qualms: The stupid battle droids, why on Earth did Lucas think it was a good idea to make them all Larry, Mo, and Curly replicas? I suppose to get a few cheap laughs, but it really throws off the dramatic realism of the movie.

A few of the lines were just horribly written, e.g. "You're so beautiful because I love you so much." "No, it's because I love YOU so much."
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
That made me cringe in the theater.

All in all, I think it was maybe the best Star Wars movie to date, and I give it 8.5/10.

May 21, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #32 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hands up for those who want the Anakin/Kenobi sabre fight in unabridged special feature in DVD...Overlunge

In the movie ep 2 and 3 we are led to believe that Anakin is a far better Jedi, via light saber skills, than Obi Wan. In contrast, during the last fight it seemed that they were evenly matched. It proved that Obi Wan was the greater Jedi, by a hair, by making a vital decision to leap to safety which gained him the advantage. Why were we led to believe that Anakin could put a whooping on Obi Wan?

What book should I obtain to gain a better understanding of these movies?

May 21, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 141
Finally saw it.

Glad I didn't have to wait in a line to see this movie. I would've been pissed.

The opening space battle sucked. Pretty effects, of course.

General Grevious was a pointless character and just too cartoony.

Light saber action was much improved.

The potential melodrama was hokey and rushed.

Nice wrap up, but ultimately Star Wars series has gone out with a fizzle rather than a bang for me.

-Ed

May 21, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #34 of 141
The Sith seem more powerful through the energy they can channel from their hate.Vader did evolve after killing all the jedi. Did you see how strong Vader was when he screamed NOOOOO (ala MENDOOZAAAAAAA!!- McBain) all the robots and parts of the room buckled.

Obi Wan equalled him through his cunning and wisdom. "Dont do it" and with one flip Anakin becomes the guy from "Kids"; "I have no legs, I have no legs".

We are led to believe Anakin was the better swordsman because he is the "One", the most powerful jedi ever. The only reason Anakin beat Dooku and Obi Wan couldnt was because Anakin could use the dark side to give him an edge. If Anakin's Jedi training had continued I bet he would have beaten Obi Wan. 20 years later Obi Wan is 60 and Vader is 40 and Vader clearly overmatches Obi Wan in the light saber duel.

May 21, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #35 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
We are led to believe Anakin was the better swordsman because he is the "One", the most powerful jedi ever. The only reason Anakin beat Dooku and Obi Wan couldnt was because Anakin could use the dark side to give him an edge. If Anakin's Jedi training had continued I bet he would have beaten Obi Wan. 20 years later Obi Wan is 60 and Vader is 40 and Vader clearly overmatches Obi Wan in the light saber duel.

If this hypothesis is correct then why couldn't Anakin use the dark side to defeat Obi Wan.

Caveat; I know this is a movie and don't take it too seriously, but headfier member’s thoughts, I am curious to know. Hmmmmmm

May 22, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #36 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
If this hypothesis is correct then why couldn't Anakin use the dark side to defeat Obi Wan.

Caveat; I know this is a movie and don't take it too seriously, but headfier member’s thoughts, I am curious to know. Hmmmmmm

Hi Usagi,

Before we all start to post like Yoda, my suggestion is that arrogance and believe in absolute power clouded Vadar's judgement hence he killed Padame he tries to save. Hence he lost a fight he could have easily won.

The book is SW-Revenge of the Sith, Official novel... I think.

Overlunge

May 22, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #37 of 141
Quote:

If Anakin's Jedi training had continued I bet he would have beaten Obi Wan. 20 years later Obi Wan is 60 and Vader is 40 and Vader clearly overmatches Obi Wan in the light saber duel.

Quote:

He tried didnt he?

The dark side gave Anakin more strength, maybe speed and some force powers but he still had the mind of a 20 year p-whipped beeyotch.

If Anakin had better training he could've force pushed Obi Wan into the lava. Having watched the fighting techniques of the other Jedi and Sith in the movie, dont you think a more experienced Jedi would have used that technique? Dooku held them off with the light saber until he could use his Force power to slam them into walls and throw obejcts at them. Same thing with Sidious and Yoda.

May 22, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #38 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi Usagi,

Before we all start to post like Yoda, my suggestion is that arrogance and believe in absolute power clouded Vadar's judgement hence he killed Padame he tries to save. Hence he lost a fight he could have easily won.

The book is SW-Revenge of the Sith, Official novel... I think.

Overlunge

HHHmmmm, reflect upon this, I will!
icon10.gif

May 22, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #39 of 141
wasnt it quite obvious that Palpatine was pretending to be defenseless and frail to try and make it look like Mace is the aggressor ? Palpatine had forseen everything, including Anakin walking in at that time so it was timing by Palpatine.

by the way, i LOVE that force lightning ;]

Palpatine vs Yoda: i think Palpatine would of won eventually and Yoda thought the same, the reason for his cowardly escape.

About the "poor acting" etc.. Anakin movie character is only about 20? and they're not after Oscars

i think overall it would a good finish, but after Vader got his kit i felt it all finished really quick.

May 22, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #40 of 141
I thought it was great. While the dialog and acting was simple, the plot and morality was amazingly complex for a Star Wars film.

May 22, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #41 of 141
Just saw it. Awesome!

Hayden Christiensen's acting was better, I guess. I'm still trying to make up my mind here. It probably still sucked, but the rest of the movie kind of covered it up I guess. At least he knew how to be evil.

Too many love scenes. I don't care about Padame being pregnant and their love affair, I want to see more explosions and fighting!!!

General Greivous ... who came up with that name? Oh well, he still had a pretty cool role.

Obi Wan and Yoda both kicked major buttocks in this movie. Obi Wan in particular had excellent acting. Yoda's fighting was as awesome as usual. I loved what he did to the guards.
smily_headphones1.gif

Darth Sidious's wrinkly ugly face was explained. Good. Mace Windu's death was pretty cool, but could have been better. At least he had his glorious moment.

MORE WOOKIE!!!! My gosh, I never saw I bowcaster in the entire movie! Chewie has one in one of the latter trilogy episodes, but he never uses it. Still, these guys didn't get enough action. I finally heard the proper pronunciation of Kakyysh (or however you spell it), but I forget it already.

The transition to eps. 4, 5, and 6 could definitely have been better. R2D2 was overdone. He moved really fast in this movie, while in eps. 4-5-6, he moved at about 0.5 feet per second. Also, they presented a lot of gadgets he really could have used in eps. 4-5-6, but obviously they hadn't "thought up" back then. Now if you watch them in order, you'll wonder why he doesn't just use all those utilities in the latter trilogy. The transition to "low tech" also wasn't too hot. The special effects were amazing, almost too amazing. Even the rebel transport ship has more glow to it than it did in episode 4. They really just threw a lot of stuff out there that didn't ever take place in eps 4-5-6, and didn't resolve some things, like how Princess Leia tells Luke that she remembers that her mother was "very beautiful". Well guess what? She just died!!

Anakin still wasn't a match for Obi-Wan even with his anger. Obi Wan is just the stronger Jedi, and he has the light side of the force on his side, which, when implemented properly, is stronger than the dark side. Think about Yoda and Sidious. He caught that lightning and ended up winning, though not in the end.

The "NOOOOOO" sucked. I definitely expected better from someone so angry.

May 22, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #42 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
wasnt it quite obvious that Palpatine was pretending to be defenseless and frail to try and make it look like Mace is the aggressor ? Palpatine had forseen everything, including Anakin walking in at that time so it was timing by Palpatine.

by the way, i LOVE that force lightning ;]

Palpatine vs Yoda: i think Palpatine would of won eventually and Yoda thought the same, the reason for his cowardly escape.

About the "poor acting" etc.. Anakin movie character is only about 20? and they're not after Oscars

i think overall it would a good finish, but after Vader got his kit i felt it all finished really quick.

yoda, a cowoard? What are you saying? Why would such a coward just walk into his office and confront him? The actor playing palpatine came off way too ambiguos at times, but definatley was more manipulative then strong, and i feel it wasn't totally him playing anakin by losing to mace. He did not scar himself on purpose, that is ridiculous... Though lucas needed a way for it to happen, i doubt he wanted to injur himself like that. It was part of the drama.

Palpatine would have won against yoda if his storm troopers and other advantages helped him defeat yoda (though yoda did need to escape, he has a higher calling, and doesn't have the same sort of bane or anger sidious has, he is a sefless jedi). It wasn't about who is a superior fighter to him, it's about the higher calling, and to yoda that was posterity, and preserving the little hope the jedi have left, rather then a seflish duel to bolster his ego.

Yoda is the man, don't you forget it! Sidious is a joker, and if he was so powerful, he would not need darth vader, or any apprentice for that matter... He truly is weak without the force, and i also believe his force gains greater strength later on and he himself is in a weaker state without vader.

May 22, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #43 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Just saw it. Awesome!

Hayden Christiensen's acting was better, I guess. I'm still trying to make up my mind here. It probably still sucked, but the rest of the movie kind of covered it up I guess. At least he knew how to be evil.

Too many love scenes. I don't care about Padame being pregnant and their love affair, I want to see more explosions and fighting!!!

General Greivous ... who came up with that name? Oh well, he still had a pretty cool role.

Obi Wan and Yoda both kicked major buttocks in this movie. Obi Wan in particular had excellent acting. Yoda's fighting was as awesome as usual. I loved what he did to the guards.
smily_headphones1.gif

Darth Sidious's wrinkly ugly face was explained. Good. Mace Windu's death was pretty cool, but could have been better. At least he had his glorious moment.

MORE WOOKIE!!!! My gosh, I never saw I bowcaster in the entire movie! Chewie has one in one of the latter trilogy episodes, but he never uses it. Still, these guys didn't get enough action. I finally heard the proper pronunciation of Kakyysh (or however you spell it), but I forget it already.

The transition to eps. 4, 5, and 6 could definitely have been better. R2D2 was overdone. He moved really fast in this movie, while in eps. 4-5-6, he moved at about 0.5 feet per second. Also, they presented a lot of gadgets he really could have used in eps. 4-5-6, but obviously they hadn't "thought up" back then. Now if you watch them in order, you'll wonder why he doesn't just use all those utilities in the latter trilogy. The transition to "low tech" also wasn't too hot. The special effects were amazing, almost too amazing. Even the rebel transport ship has more glow to it than it did in episode 4. They really just threw a lot of stuff out there that didn't ever take place in eps 4-5-6, and didn't resolve some things, like how Princess Leia tells Luke that she remembers that her mother was "very beautiful". Well guess what? She just died!!

Anakin still wasn't a match for Obi-Wan even with his anger. Obi Wan is just the stronger Jedi, and he has the light side of the force on his side, which, when implemented properly, is stronger than the dark side. Think about Yoda and Sidious. He caught that lightning and ended up winning, though not in the end.

The "NOOOOOO" sucked. I definitely expected better from someone so angry.

Heh,
wasn't it funny how as soon as anakin became darth vader and the republic the empire, all of the ships started looking all 70's like, like the original ships from earlier movies?

My friend pointed that out to me, it's pretty funny.

May 22, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #44 of 141
I think that 70's look was the technology from Organa's planet. I dont think they are as technologically advanced as the other planets of the republic. Did you see the humans wearing those space suits on the moon? I thought that was pretty cool.

May 22, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #45 of 141
ok a few things for a few of you who may be lost...

grievous... is a cyborg his cough is explained in one of the last 5 episodes of the clone wars

the wookies do use bowcasters... whoever didn't see them needs to clean their glasses

and now for my thoughts on what could have improved the movie...

MORE CHOKING vader only chokes one person HIS WIFE! a perfect choking moment would have been when the trade federation viceroy was going "but the war is over"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back