Stand alone Max dac?
Oct 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #46 of 104
This new Balanced Max Dac sounds very promising.

Is this new Dac a completely new redesign of the Balanced Max Dac that you currently supply in your Balanced Max amps.?

Will this new Balanced Max Dac compete above the Mid Level Dacs in terms of pure sound quality, such as Benchmark, Lavry, etc.

Thanks,
Kev.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #47 of 104
I think I can help with this a bit, given my experience with the soon-to-be "old" max dac. Just to give you bit of background, I own the world's only stand-alone Headroom Balanced Max DAC. I've had it in my system for over a year now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this new Dac a completely new redesign of the Balanced Max Dac that you currently supply in your Balanced Max amps.?

It's a complete redesign from what I understand based on different components.
Quote:

Will this new Balanced Max Dac compete above the Mid Level Dacs in terms of pure sound quality, such as Benchmark, Lavry, etc.

I've sent my DAC around to quite a few Head-Fi meets and let some long time members demo it in their own systems for extended periods of time. The feedback has been pretty universal that the "old" Max DAC already performed at or above the DAC's you mentioned. Some even found it to compare well to DAC's in the $2k+ range. I certainly feel it's no slouch and preferred it to the Wadia 830 that I had (which had digital inputs so I could use it as a DAC). Now, having said all that, if we believe the statements coming out of Headroom about the performance of the new Max DAC (and I have no reason to doubt them) then I think we're all in for a treat. Joe, HR's engineer, is a pretty no-nonsense type of guy and hearing his reports have got me setting aside any loose change I can put my grubby little hands on.
evil_smiley.gif

Is it April yet?

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #48 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it April yet?

Not yet! I haven't started to save the +- $200/month necessary to buy this grail.

Headroom understand that music has to be sweet. That's why I'm waiting for this over, say, the DAC1 USB.

Can barely wait. (But glad that I have time to save.)

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #49 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll is, er, uncharacteristically understated -- Our HeadRoom audio engineer in charge of the design said the new DAC measurement specs were "so much better than anything we've seen before, its actually scary"
evil_smiley.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah, in 16/44.1 mode there's basically no difference between the Audio Precision tester measuring itself or putting the DAC in the loop. In other words, the DAC performs so well the AP can't see it.

It can see some things at higher data rates ... like cross talk is something like 130dB down. Friggen ridiculously good measurements. The chip maker has done an unbelievable job, but Joe has too or you couldn't get measurements that low.

I'm very excited about this product.

(So, is that enthusiastic enough for you Jorge?)

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #50 of 104
Tyll,

Does this new chip happent to be a new Dac Chip, if so, I have a very good idea which it is.
beerchug.gif

Kev.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, in 16/44.1 mode there's basically no difference between the Audio Precision tester measuring itself or putting the DAC in the loop. In other words, the DAC performs so well the AP can't see it.

It can see some things at higher data rates ... like cross talk is something like 130dB down. Friggen ridiculously good measurements. The chip maker has done an unbelievable job, but Joe has too or you couldn't get measurements that low.

I'm very excited about this product.

(So, is that enthusiastic enough for you Jorge?)

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #51 of 104
Quote:

Does this new chip happent to be a new Dac Chip, if so, I have a very good idea which it is.
beerchug.gif

Go ahead and guess, I'll tell you if you're right. It's not going to be a secret, we don't put spooge on our chips to prevent you from knowing, in fact, we usually put that stuff right in the product copy.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #52 of 104
ESS ES9008 Sabre8 Dac Chip.

Quote:

Go ahead and guess, I'll tell you if you're right. It's not going to be a secret, we don't put spooge on our chips to prevent you from knowing, in fact, we usually put that stuff right in the product copy.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #53 of 104
Quote:

we don't put spooge on our chips to prevent you from knowing

Even this one? I don't know, you seem pretty excited...

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #56 of 104
Quote:

ESS ES9008 Sabre8 Dac Chip.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Youz guyz iz smart!

Friggen GREAT chip!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #58 of 104
You've just made my day Tyll.

I was hoping and praying it would be the ESS ES9008.

This is really going to be special, as you already know of course. This is definately going to be Headrooms bigest seller of all time.

I can't wait until April, counting down the days.

Kev.

Quote:

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Youz guyz iz smart!

Friggen GREAT chip!

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #60 of 104
Thanks for all the info below Nate, really appreciate it.

Now we know the new Standalone Balanced Max Dac is going to have the super new revolutionary ESS ES9008 Sabre8 Dac Chip, along with Headrooms New Dac design, this is indeed going to be one hell of a Dac.

Both I, and others have been waiting a long time for such a dac as this, as there isn't anything that sits just below the likes of the EMM Labs, and other such dacks at that level, and price wise, this looks like it will be it, after reading all the praise of the new ESS ES9008 Sabre8 Dac Chip.

This is really big news for Headroom, I've found all their staff to be absolutely great, I really can't wait.

Kev.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I can help with this a bit, given my experience with the soon-to-be "old" max dac. Just to give you bit of background, I own the world's only stand-alone Headroom Balanced Max DAC. I've had it in my system for over a year now.
It's a complete redesign from what I understand based on different components.
I've sent my DAC around to quite a few Head-Fi meets and let some long time members demo it in their own systems for extended periods of time. The feedback has been pretty universal that the "old" Max DAC already performed at or above the DAC's you mentioned. Some even found it to compare well to DAC's in the $2k+ range. I certainly feel it's no slouch and preferred it to the Wadia 830 that I had (which had digital inputs so I could use it as a DAC). Now, having said all that, if we believe the statements coming out of Headroom about the performance of the new Max DAC (and I have no reason to doubt them) then I think we're all in for a treat. Joe, HR's engineer, is a pretty no-nonsense type of guy and hearing his reports have got me setting aside any loose change I can put my grubby little hands on.
evil_smiley.gif

Is it April yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back