Stacking OPA's (like stacking buffers)?
Jun 23, 2007 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Vul Kuolun

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

since i read that it is possible to stack buffers in the output stage of an amp, i asked myself if this would be a useful thing to do with the OPA in amps with no buffers (Cmoy, for example); especially, since the limited output ressources should be the weak spot for this kind of amps.
Should'nt stacking OPA's improve the output capabilities of the amp (possible output current, impedance,...)?
Am i missing something?

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to say no you cannot. If it could be done people would do it.

My thought as well. Otherwise i could just try, as i've got an unemployed OPA 2132 lying round here.

But why should'nt it work? I don't wanna fry the poor bug for nothing.

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 11
OK then.

So putting a Feedbackresistor between the -Input and Output should do the trick?

Damn, this stuff is complicated.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 11
No. Look at the resistors on both the + and - inputs of the opamp. Usually, the + input has something like 100K to ground (R2??). The - input has 1K to ground (R3 IIRC stock cmoy value for gain of 11) and 10K from the - input to the output (R4 IIRC stock gain of 11). You need to duplicate them all. You can feed the + input from the same cap if you are using input caps.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Also, most opamps won't like to have its output tired directly to the output of another opamp, even if both opamps are swinging the "same" signal. You will need current-sharing resistors in series with each opamp to provide a bit of isolation (usually >22ohms or more). Of course, such resistors cause current-limiting, and sort of counteracts the purpose of parallaling opamps in the first place. The net gain is output current capability is therefore not as much as you might think.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 11
That has been the consensus, otherwise you would probably see more of that. The Apheared A47 is somewhat down this path, although the second opamp is configured as a buffer, and the outputs (v amp and buffer amp) each go thru a 47 ohm resistor.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Analog actually recommend connecting AD8615/16/18 in parallel to reduce noise. They recommend a 100 Ohm output resistor on each amp. I can't see why you shouldn't try this if you're up to some experimenting. If you do, post your impressions please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back