Stacking magnets?
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #168 of 190
Would stacking on a 500ohm driver be safe or/and benefit or not-benefit anything?

If it will physically fit, go for it. I haven’t found a driver yet that it didn’t make a positive difference on. Some more than others.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #169 of 190
If it will physically fit, go for it. I haven’t found a driver yet that it didn’t make a positive difference on. Some more than others.

Stacking magnets on a dynamic driver will always have the driver do its dynamic-driver thing (how they work) dryer or in other words faster, right? And sometimes stacking a magnet on a driver can be a bad thing for some people because they may find the modified driver response too dry? Or holes being covered? I'd like to do this on a K99/K100 or that 40mm Ora driver from Aliexpress. I will be using M2 as the shell when I am able to get a hold of any of the three and I can modify the M2 to fit bigger magnets.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #170 of 190
Also what should I look for and know about when I want to stack a magnet onto a driver and does the size of the magnet affect how the magnet itself affects the driver's power? And what magnet should I get to have the drivers as more powerful as possible?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #171 of 190
Also what should I look for and know about when I want to stack a magnet onto a driver and does the size of the magnet affect how the magnet itself affects the driver's power? And what magnet should I get to have the drivers as more powerful as possible?

There’s valuable information in the thread. I’d strongly recommend reading through it, because I’m sure your questions will be answered. If not, let us know :)

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #172 of 190
Stacking magnets on a dynamic driver will always have the driver do its dynamic-driver thing (how they work) dryer or in other words faster, right? And sometimes stacking a magnet on a driver can be a bad thing for some people because they may find the modified driver response too dry? Or holes being covered? I'd like to do this on a K99/K100 or that 40mm Ora driver from Aliexpress. I will be using M2 as the shell when I am able to get a hold of any of the three and I can modify the M2 to fit bigger magnets.

In my experience (doing it to about 30+ headphones so far), it mainly seems to tighten the sub bass and bass frequencies, and in many cases reduce or eliminate low frequency distortions.

I’ve never noticed any dryness. Not sure who told you that. Or maybe it’s on a headphone I’ve not tried it on?

As far as holes being covered, no the idea is to make sure NO holes are covered when stacking a magnet. That’s why if a stock driver has a vent in the center of the stock magnet already, you need to make sure you stack a magnet that also has a hole in the center. If any stock driver holes get covered, the sound tuning will change (which is not desirable).

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #173 of 190
In my experience (doing it to about 30+ headphones so far), it mainly seems to tighten the sub bass and bass frequencies, and in many cases reduce or eliminate low frequency distortions.

I’ve never noticed any dryness. Not sure who told you that. Or maybe it’s on a headphone I’ve not tried it on?

As far as holes being covered, no the idea is to make sure NO holes are covered when stacking a magnet. That’s why if a stock driver has a vent in the center of the stock magnet already, you need to make sure you stack a magnet that also has a hole in the center. If any stock driver holes get covered, the sound tuning will change (which is not desirable).

When I mention about "dryness" or/and "dry" I mean like how fast the sound the driver makes decays.

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #174 of 190
Hi Friends,

I'm happy to share my findings after experimenting with stacking magnets on Sennheiser HD202-ii.
To quote our guru:

I agree, and measurements indicate this to be true.

Bass: Smoother bass in the 20-40Hz region. I'm not sure if the drivers are playing those notes, not cleanly anyway, so perhaps this shows that stronger magnet gives better control. 50-300Hz is identical to the stock unit.

Midrange: 300-3000Hz is identical to the stock unit.

Treble: Now this is where it gets interesting. Using a ring magnet, 20x2mm with 5mm hole, there is a massive dip between 7and 9kHz. This magnet is wider than the stock magnet, maybe it's messing the magnetic field of the original magnet? Around 10-13kHz, this combo is about 2dB hotter than stock.
Not happy with the dip, I then stacked two of 10x2mm coin magnet. Compared to stock, this results in 2dB cut around 6-7kHz and 2dB boost around 10-13kHz. To me, this means less sibilance and better shimmer. Tambourine sounds with realism I've never heard before with this pair. Not only more presence, but more accurate timbre, in my subjective opinion.

Perhaps this is also a good time to mention that the stock magnet on the HD202-ii is a strong one. 15mm in diameter, and looks like a neodymium magnet. It is very decisive on pulling/pushing so it's very easy to determine the polarity.

I measured using REW and Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic, calibrated. I will not show my measurements because I am not confident of their accuracy. I just use it for my own learning, such as in this case, telling me if my mods are doing anything, or if my ears are fooling me. I took 3 measurements each side, and averaged them. Then I averaged the left and right for each setup. That means, the above conclusion is reached after 18 measurements. Not bragging, just wanted to share my method. Hope this is of some use to all of us. :)

20mm ring magnet is bigger than the stock magnet. Will update this post with the final setup soon.
B5AEF32F-71C0-4E4E-9E6A-200BCA616710.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #175 of 190
Hi Friends,

I'm happy to share my findings after experimenting with stacking magnets on Sennheiser HD202-ii.
To quote our guru:

I agree, and measurements indicate this to be true.

Bass: Smoother bass in the 20-40Hz region. I'm not sure if the drivers are playing those notes, not cleanly anyway, so perhaps this shows that stronger magnet gives better control. 50-300Hz is identical to the stock unit.

Midrange: 300-3000Hz is identical to the stock unit.

Treble: Now this is where it gets interesting. Using a ring magnet, 20x2mm with 5mm hole, there is a massive dip between 7and 9kHz. This magnet is wider than the stock magnet, maybe it's messing the magnetic field of the original magnet? Around 10-13kHz, this combo is about 2dB hotter than stock. Not happy with the dip, I then stacked two of 10x2mm coin magnet. Compared to stock, this results in 2dB cut around 6-7kHz and 2dB boost around 10-13kHz. To me, this means less sibilance and better shimmer. Tambourine sounds with realism I've never heard before with this pair. Not only more presence, but more accurate timbre, in my subjective opinion.

Perhaps this is also a good time to mention that the stock magnet on the HD202-ii is a strong one. 15mm in diameter, and looks like a neodymium magnet. It is very decisive on pulling/pushing so it's very easy to determine the polarity.

I measured using REW and Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic, calibrated. I will not show my measurements because I am not confident of their accuracy. I just use it for my own learning, such as in this case, telling me if my mods are doing anything, or if my ears are fooling me. I took 3 measurements each side, and averaged them. Then I averaged the left and right for each setup. That means, the above conclusion is reached after 18 measurements. Not bragging, just wanted to share my method. Hope this is of some use to all of us. :)

20mm ring magnet is bigger than the stock magnet. Will update this post with the final setup soon.
B5AEF32F-71C0-4E4E-9E6A-200BCA616710.jpeg

Wow, very interesting! I’ve never noticed any treble changes. That is awesome that stacking magnets could possibly be used to tweak treble (for treble that’s too hot for example).

Perhaps it is because it is a larger than stock magnet? I’ve only ever used magnets that are smaller than the stock magnet (only because that’s what I have on hand).

You could also try flipping the magnet over and seeing if that changes anything.

In any event, I’m glad you like the results, and I’m excited to hear about any updates :)

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #176 of 190
Wow, very interesting! I’ve never noticed any treble changes. That is awesome that stacking magnets could possibly be used to tweak treble (for treble that’s too hot for example).

Perhaps it is because it is a larger than stock magnet? I’ve only ever used magnets that are smaller than the stock magnet (only because that’s what I have on hand).

You could also try flipping the magnet over and seeing if that changes anything.

In any event, I’m glad you like the results, and I’m excited to hear about any updates :)
Hi Slater, I also suspected it was because of the ring magnet being larger than the stock magnet. I ended up replacing it with two stacked 10mm coin magnets. I formatted my post above a little bit so it's easier to read haha sorry for the confusion. :)

Treble: Now this is where it gets interesting. Using a ring magnet, 20x2mm with 5mm hole, there is a massive dip between 7and 9kHz. This magnet is wider than the stock magnet, maybe it's messing the magnetic field of the original magnet? Around 10-13kHz, this combo is about 2dB hotter than stock.
Not happy with the dip, I then stacked two of 10x2mm coin magnet. Compared to stock, this results in 2dB cut around 6-7kHz and 2dB boost around 10-13kHz. To me, this means less sibilance and better shimmer. Tambourine sounds with realism I've never heard before with this pair. Not only more presence, but more accurate timbre, in my subjective opinion.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #177 of 190
Hi Slater, I also suspected it was because of the ring magnet being larger than the stock magnet. I ended up replacing it with two stacked 10mm coin magnets. I formatted my post above a little bit so it's easier to read haha sorry for the confusion. :)
How does the two of the 10x2 magnets compare to single 20x2? Also wont taller magnets results in better magnetic strength than a wider but shorter one?

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #178 of 190
How does the two of the 10x2 magnets compare to single 20x2?

Single is always stronger than 2 stacked up. There are magnetic flux losses with each additional magnet.

The ideal setup for this mod is ONE thick magnet.

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #179 of 190
How does the two of the 10x2 magnets compare to single 20x2? Also wont taller magnets results in better magnetic strength than a wider but shorter one?
I cannot tell the difference by listening, but the fact that the 20mm is wider than the stock 15mm magnet makes me a little bit uncomfortable.
In my case, my 2x10x2 is subjectively stronger than the single 20x2. There is no fixed N rating of the magnets, so it's all subjective by feeling how they pull towards a metal ruler.
Measuring the sound, 20mm magnet causes a big dip between 7 and 9kHz. The stacked 10mm do not have that problem. They control the bass equally well.
Hope that helps! :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #180 of 190
Measuring the sound, 20mm magnet causes a big dip between 7 and 9kHz. The stacked 10mm do not have that problem. They control the bass equally well.

Good to know! Maybe I need to start trying this :)

It just goes to show you, there’s never one answer. Each of us have to try different mod configurations on OUR specific setup, and see what happens! Because what works for one person on 1 model headphone may be totally different than someone else on their different headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back