!st portable amp- Meier or RSA?
Jun 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
OK, need a bit of help here.
I'm looking at getting my first portable amp, which is probably a little misleading.
What I want is a battery powered amp I can easily move from room to room in house using mainly the ATH-EW9s and I-pod.
I had thought initially of the RSA SR-71 but that is unavailable at this time so shifted my focus to the Hornet, however things have become a little more interesting with the release of the Meier Corda Move.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts of those with experience of both brands...I realise the Corda is too new for any solid feedback just now.

I love the looks of the Hornet and the fact it can be had in various colours but landed here it'll be around NZ$200 more expensive which is alot to pay for a paint job.Compared to it the Cordia looks fairly uninspiring in the available pics(yes I know ranking an amp by its appearance is shallow but some of my best purchases have been based on that slender judgement)

While I dont listen to music via my computer that could change next year and the built in DAC on the Meier has some appeal for that.

Having researched many threads here my heart says Hornet but my head says Meier.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 9
Just based on how many more people have RSA portable amps than Meier portable amps, I say RSA. Not only that, it looks really nice.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 9
You can't go wrong with either, they are both great makers with excellent customer service and products.
The RSA ones are built like tanks and look nice(r, YMMV) but the Meier ones are loaded with options. (crossfeed, dac, etc)
I think the Move has better battery life too, 100 hrs on low gain according to Meier Audio site, opposed to Hornet's ~45-60, both on a single 9v Alkaline batt.

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my heart says Hornet but my head says Meier

That's a fantastic summary of the issue, and nothing we say is going to get you past it. If next year you're really going to use that dac, then the Meier just makes better sense, but if that's just a distant maybe, you're back to heart vs. head.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 9
The SR71 is such a great portable amp, a pity it is not currently available. I have compared it with The Hornet, Tomahawk, Porta Corda MkIII and the TTVJ Millet Portable Amp.

I would choose the TTVJ Millet if the budget permits it. Otherwise the Porta Corda MkIII is such a great sounding amp that you will forget how it looks. At $160 it is a major bargain.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 9
Getting pretty close to ordering the Cordia Move.
Having purchased 3 headphones this year that I wasn't planning on, it might be kinder on my wallet to go with the Meier.
As its something that'll probably be used on an irregular basis it doesn't make much sense to overspend.

Skylabs monster portable amp thread has managed to throw much confusion and far to many new ideas into the mix.
eek.gif

Just as well its blizzard conditions outside so my conscience is clear spending hours chasing threads.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would choose the TTVJ Millet if the budget permits it. Otherwise the Porta Corda MkIII is such a great sounding amp that you will forget how it looks. At $160 it is a major bargain.
biggrin.gif

I read this very quickly the first time, and thought it said that TTVJ was selling Millett portables for $160. Oh, the sadness.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Ordered a Cordia Move today.
I was getting more and more confused looking at all the reviews.
I was very impressed by the promptness of Meiers replies to my e-mail, always a good sign IMO.

The ATH-EW9s arrived this morning, sure are pretty.Now just need the amp.

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered a Cordia Move today.
I was getting more and more confused looking at all the reviews.
I was very impressed by the promptness of Meiers replies to my e-mail, always a good sign IMO.

The ATH-EW9s arrived this morning, sure are pretty.Now just need the amp.

Yep...I'm doing what you did. Skylab's review surely helped a lot though, even though it added some confusion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back