SS Schiit amp for MrSpeakers ÆON™ Flow Open Headphones?
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NorCal

100+ Head-Fier
Current HP are the HD650, but plan to add the AFO, and am looking for a Schiit SS amp that would work well with both, (which have vastly different impedance ratings ... HD650s at 300 ohms vs AFOs at 13 ohms). [If necessary, I could get each HP a dedicated amp].

Looking for opinions on pairings with the Magni 3, Asgard 2, or Jotunheim. Widest sound stage, and distinctive layers of image depth are most important to me. I usually listen at fairly low volume levels.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 5
What are you using the 650’s now? I am not a fan of most Schiit amps. Yes they have lots of power but they are too bright for me.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 5
I use the HD650 HP with a Cambridge DacMagic Plus, (DAC/HP amp), and a NAD C326BEE integrated amps' HP jack.

Edit:
Saw this Head-fi TV post about the Jotunheim. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-jotunheim-review-preview-head-fi-tv.818323/

Have you tried the Jot? The reviewer tried it [at around 5:20 into the video], both with the 2nd generation Beyerdynamic T1 andHD800 and said that the were not too harsh or bright.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Another meet has gone by with the Jot there and still didn’t hear it. But I have found another amp that I like the 650’s with and that is the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH). I forgot about it and it showed up on the doorstep Friday nice surprise. I know it’s not a solid state amp but it is really good with the 650’s and has plenty of power for power hungry planars too as it does a admirable job with The Abyss even I’ll definitely but keeping it.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 5
Went ahead and ordered a Schiit Magni 3 for now, since it shouldn't be as much of a heater on my night stand this summer.
For cooler weather, I probably will get the Jot, since I want to check out its balanced capabilities, unless Schiit, or someone else, releases a balanced tube or tube/hybrid amp, that also has a non-summed SE preamp out, (like Jot's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back