SS or tubes for Sennheiser 580?
Aug 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Labov

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headamp for my 580. At the moment I am looking at the Corda Opera analogue, DV332 and LDIV SE.

I am just not sure what way to go. The headphones tend towards a warm sound, and perhaps I would be better off with a more lean, bright SS amp to drive them?

Long term I might replace the 580s with the 650, but for now I need an amp that will fit the 580. I mostly listen to acoustic music of various genres.

Any tip on the above would be welcome.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 24
I also have the 580's that I use with the LDMKIII.

In my opinion....awesome combination!!!

Get the tubes....you'll be glad you did. You start the tube rolling process and you get attached to your tube amp like a little brother!

Roger

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 24
Senns and tubes==sweetness
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 24
I don't know about tubes, but I had the HD580s with the Opera (w/DAC). I can't honestly tell you if I just didn't like the Senns or if I didn't like the 580/Opera combo or both. Probably the latter. I found the combo to be dull and the music without life or vitality. Not neutral but bland. None the less, I still have the Opera but the HD580s are gone.

Perhaps someone who loves the 580s and has heard them on the Opera can comment.

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 24
I agree with the others, tubes are the way to go. They really liven up the Senns, which would otherwise be too slow and boring for my tastes.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 24
For me the Senn HD580/600/650 benefit from a SS amp more than a tube amp. This because I find the bass becomes tighter with an SS amp, also I believe I hear more extension w/ an SS amp.

Again we all hear differently and we all have various preferences to account for.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 24
Depends on the music you're listening to. If you want the low end to hit hard (rock, rap, electronica, etc.) and lift the veil at a lower price, solid state will deliver at a much lower price than a tube amp that does the same.

Solid state is not the best choice, however, if you're listening to a lot of vocals and acoustic instruments. Tubes, generally, will give you more natural mids and highs. Perfect if you want to hear piano at its best.

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...in other words, you need both.
cool.gif

I lean towards SS with my 650.

I guess that is probably the closest to the truth one can get. Presumably I could get the Opera, then instead of the 650 buy the Beyer 880. Then add a tube amp at the end.

Then I would have two different cans with two different headamps. For different kinds of music.

My wallet might not be too keen on such a scenario though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back