SS amp for HD800 (SPL, Rudistor, Headamp, something else?)
Sep 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

superachromat

Head-Fier
Hey dudes,

I am hunting for an amp for the HD800. I had some time spent on trying some more popular brands locally available. The amps that I tried on the HD800:

47lab,
Manley Audio,
SPL Phonitor,
Violectric V200,
Burson Conductor,

I found that the Phonitor performs the best for the HD800 for my taste (I listened to Pop, Jazz and Classical). However, I still wonder if anything else, would outperform the Phonitor. After some time reading on the internet, and my personal consideration of not using the tube amp (due to the hot weather here), I have shortlisted the last two candidates that I wonder may....perhaps have a better performance on the HD800 than the Phonitor:

Rudistor RPX308
Headamp GS-X MK2
HDVD800 (perhaps?)

I could get a reach on the rudistor and have a try on it as there are dealer here. However, probably it would be difficult for me to try the Headamp for comparison.

Any hands on experience on comparing these two or to the Phonitor?

Last, I also have some CIEM/IEM and if could also hook it up to the headphone amp that will be a bonus for me.

Cheers,

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 46
Some say that the GS-X Mk2 is the best SS ever made, and that it can also drive IEMs very well. All we know is the maker's called Justin (and the current production run is almost all gone). :pP

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 46
Some say that the GS-X Mk2 is the best SS ever made, and that it can also drive IEMs very well. All we know is the maker's called Justin (and the current production run is almost all gone). :pP

Yup. I heard that is the best SS amp as some headfiers mentioned before and thats why I m interested on it even I cannot have an audition beforehand. I am sure its amongst the best. However, just wonder, comparing with other top products in pairing with HD800, still the best?

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 46
  Luxman P1u or P1 hands down.  You may have an easier time getting one too since you are in HK.  I have owned both the GS-Xmk2 and p1u at the same time.

Thank you, Mr. Sneis
beerchug.gif

Got a new candidate! Let me find somewhere to have a try on it.

Sep 26, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 46
It's very naive for any one to claim any component is the best at anything.

I know I definitely preferred my Audio-gd Master-6 to the MK1 GS-X.
Have not heard the Mkii, which I expect to be significantly better than the Mki, but to claim anything as  'the best' is just silly.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 46
If you have the funds, the Pinnacle is a great amp for the HD800s. The Pinnacle operates at such a cool temperature it generates less ambient heat than many solid state amps I have tried.
I would not avoid the Pinnacle just for temperature considerations. My little Stax 007t amp generates more heat than the full-sized 2-box Pinnacle.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 46
  If you have the funds, the Pinnacle is a great amp for the HD800s. The Pinnacle operates at such a cool temperature it generates less ambient heat than many solid state amps I have tried.
I would not avoid the Pinnacle just for temperature considerations. My little Stax 007t amp generates more heat than the full-sized 2-box Pinnacle.

Thanks for the recommendation. Have a brief check on the Pinnacle and I think its too expensive for a headphone amp (checked on the site of ttvj, selling at USD10k).

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 46
Have audited a few more SS amp with the HD800 these days:

Harmony Design 909 (monitor)
Wadia 121 (this one is a dac with a headphone output)
Rudistor RPX-308
Rudistor RP030
Linnenberg

Still figuring out more options.

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 46
  Luxman P1u or P1 hands down.  You may have an easier time getting one too since you are in HK.  I have owned both the GS-Xmk2 and p1u at the same time.

Ridiculous synergy here. That said-I sold it because it lacked some transparency of other amps I've owned-somewhat hindering the HD800s main strength. OTOH-it gave beautiful body, timbre, and tonality to the HD800 that I've yet to hear another amp come close to with the Senns...

-Daniel

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 46
I'd go with the Luxman P-1u.  I own both the P-1U and the DAC / Headphone Amplifier the DA-200.  (The DA-200 is surprisingly accomplished as a headphone amplifier, and well worth checking out , if you can) 

I also own the Violectric V200 and a Sugden Headmaster amp (UK eBay has some great deals on these if 230v is your juice). 

What pushed me to buying the Luxman was that the Violectric didn't do it for me with the HD800's.  It just didn't seem to provide sufficient control over them - much like listening to an underpowered amplifier trying to drive inefficient speakers

Each of the Luxmans is way ahead of the Violectric, but with the P1-u you have a set up that really sings.  The bass is to die for in particular.  Mind you, the Luxman is quite a step up in price.

I rate the Sugden ahead of the Violectric, but once you hear the HD800's with the Luxman, it's tough to go back.

This is not an advert, but sometime soon I can see me putting the Violectric in the Classifieds

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 46

Ridiculous synergy here. That said-I sold it because it lacked some transparency of other amps I've owned-somewhat hindering the HD800s main strength. OTOH-it gave beautiful body, timbre, and tonality to the HD800 that I've yet to hear another amp come close to with the Senns...

-Daniel

I have tried the P-1u. Agree that its a good match. Thanks, Daniel.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 46
  I'd go with the Luxman P-1u.  I own both the P-1U and the DAC / Headphone Amplifier the DA-200.  (The DA-200 is surprisingly accomplished as a headphone amplifier, and well worth checking out , if you can)

I also own the Violectric V200 and a Sugden Headmaster amp (UK eBay has some great deals on these if 230v is your juice).

What pushed me to buying the Luxman was that the Violectric didn't do it for me with the HD800's.  It just didn't seem to provide sufficient control over them - much like listening to an underpowered amplifier trying to drive inefficient speakers

Each of the Luxmans is way ahead of the Violectric, but with the P1-u you have a set up that really sings.  The bass is to die for in particular.  Mind you, the Luxman is quite a step up in price.

I rate the Sugden ahead of the Violectric, but once you hear the HD800's with the Luxman, it's tough to go back.

This is not an advert, but sometime soon I can see me putting the Violectric in the Classifieds

Thank you. I have tried P -1u pairing with the 30u cd player. That was quite good indeed.

its good to learn that I can get the V200 or Sugden through the UK ebay too! I haven't thought of that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back