SS amp for AKG K701
May 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #16 of 75
having both the glite and the heed. i can recommend both as they both drive the k701 excellently. depends on what you prefer though. if you want extra warmth and a bump in the bass, i suggest the heed as it provides a more laid-back presentation and kind of a tubey sound. if you like analytical, clean presentation, i suggest the glite. the glite has a bit of treble sparkle so i don't know if it may be too bright for you. it's really a toss up for me...sometimes i prefer the heed, sometimes the glite. but with stock k701's i think the heed wins.

May 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks like a great amp. but do you find its sound to be colored? i read the review here, and it was said it adds in bass and treble. do you experience this with your K701? is sibilance a problem for you or is it just fine? still it looks like a steal for its money, im very interested
smile.gif

My original review was in error, it was the headphones that were coloured, not the amp.

May 17, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having both the glite and the heed. i can recommend both as they both drive the k701 excellently. depends on what you prefer though. if you want extra warmth and a bump in the bass, i suggest the heed as it provides a more laid-back presentation and kind of a tubey sound. if you like analytical, clean presentation, i suggest the glite. the glite has a bit of treble sparkle so i don't know if it may be too bright for you. it's really a toss up for me...sometimes i prefer the heed, sometimes the glite. but with stock k701's i think the heed wins.

thanks, this helps a lot. from what you wrote i would probably prefer glite, but the fact the Heed is EU based means no hassle with customs. i'll read more on customs and will decide. thanks to everybody for help
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 75
the heed is definitely more musical vs. the glite more analytical. i find myself leaning towards the heed more at times just because it's more engaging and enjoyable to listen to. it's really smooth as if you're on a sailboat gliding through the ocean. the glite throws everything at you at once, very detailed, precise, fast and sometimes makes it hard to digest everything and let it settle in your head. in the end, it really comes down to preference and mood.

May 18, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #21 of 75
the reason i'm worried about getting warmer amp is that Essence STX already has warm and smooth signature and it really makes listening enjoyable with K701. so i fear if it adds up with another warm component it could become a little too warm and sirupy. but in worst case i'll swap op-amps on Essence for something more neutral, unless it is its amp that makes music sound warmer.

so, i've decided for Heed CanAmp
k701smile.gif

May 18, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #23 of 75
Im thinking to put GA-EP45-UD3P (SC onboard) -> Head Box SE II --> K701

but since Head box is not with DAC, I guess I have to buy good sound card...

is there any good sound card that capable with this Head Box SE II --> K701 settings?
any info will thanksful

May 19, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #24 of 75
Have been trying the Head Box SE II and the music fidelity X-can V8 with the AKG 701. The headbox sounds "ok" but isn't just enough. You enjoy the music but the fact remains that you are missing something that isn't there.

May 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #25 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by aquamoons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im thinking to put GA-EP45-UD3P (SC onboard) -> Head Box SE II --> K701

but since Head box is not with DAC, I guess I have to buy good sound card...

is there any good sound card that capable with this Head Box SE II --> K701 settings?
any info will thanksful

using onboard soundcard with K701 is far from ideal
smile.gif
you could try Asus Xonar Essence STX, it pairs really well with K701, or EMU 1212m in case you prefer more neutral sound. or you could buy some external dac, but soundcards usually offer by far better value for money than external units. there are people here that will tell you it can't be good because its internal, but that's clearly not the case. all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

May 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #26 of 75
I've read other K701/amp threads that mention the Shanling PH100; any love for that amp here?

Once, some time ago, I posted a question regarding affordable amps for my K501s and mrarroyo mentioned a heavily modded JayCar kit amp from Aussie; no mention of that here...? Accepting that the K501s and K701s are different beasts, they both have the rep for being picky.

I'm curious about where, if anywhere this thread will go as I was considering the K702s as my next step but the amp question is a big one.

Cheers
Don

May 25, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #27 of 75
i think you'll be happy with the heed. i noticed something today with the glite, it is very transparent. with the glite, the sound can alter depending on the type of interconnects you use. i've been using the blue jeans with the glite for a while and it sounded a bit cold and hollow like the mids were recessed. today i tried using the oritek x-1's and the sound change quite dramatically. the speed, clarity is still there but with the x-1's, it's a lot more musical. the music just ties in all together like a band instead of each section playing individually and abruptly. the x-1's are a really nice pair of cables if you ever get to try them. with the heed i don't remember it making much of a difference. the heed is still smoother sounding to my ears; it just flows with layers upon layers.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody compare Heed CanAmp - Compass - C2C. Which will be best for K701?
I have asked this question on the Compass thread, but nobody gave an opinion.

x2

I asked the same in the Heed thread without reply
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #29 of 75
Hi, I've read through most of the 100+ pages in the massive Xonar Essense STX Sneak Peek thread and I am the proud owner of one of these cards myself. The general concensus in that thread is that the card is a superb dac and a reasonably good headphone-amp. The sound-signature is on the warm side, pairing well with the K701s and has no problem driving them as far as I can hear, that said, I will upgrade to a decent dedicated amp and use the xonar as source when I have the funds. The sound signature and level of detail can also be altered and improved by changing the op-amps, especially in the I/V section, as these are fairly generic units, but in great synergy with the rest of the card...

May 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read other K701/amp threads that mention the Shanling PH100; any love for that amp here?

Once, some time ago, I posted a question regarding affordable amps for my K501s and mrarroyo mentioned a heavily modded JayCar kit amp from Aussie; no mention of that here...? Accepting that the K501s and K701s are different beasts, they both have the rep for being picky.

I'm curious about where, if anywhere this thread will go as I was considering the K702s as my next step but the amp question is a big one.

Cheers
Don

Don the kit amp (DIY) is by Jaycar and the K701 sounds very nice with it. However unless you are into DIY it may not be an option. Be advised that the Jaycar is just the beginning, there are a lot of tweaks and mods done to the unit to bring it up to the level it is at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by op2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I asked the same in the Heed thread without reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Not many have purchased both, thus the lack of responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back