SRX mk2 question
May 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mink70

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Staxthusiasts--

Quick question: I'm new to stats, and have a chance to buy a pair of SRX mark2s (with an SRD-7 box) from someone who doesn't know much about them. Is this a good idea? Are these phones a worthy intro to the genre? I know the Mark3s are more popular/common, so please help. Thank you!

May 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 2
I have a Stax SR-Gamma. It is basically a cheaper and newer version of the SR-X series since they both share the same basic driver design. I can't speak for the SR-X since I have never personally heard them, but my Gammas have been my favorite headphones for years now. They are a little bass light, and they are very in your face, but they are extremely detailed and extremely fast. Though because of this they are very revealing, if you have any bad equipment you will here it. It has been to long since I read about the Mk2's to remember what was different about them from the Mk3's, though as you said they are much rarer than the Mk3's

As long as the cans are in very good shape (they are over 30 years old now), and don't have any channel imbalances then you should jump on them. All of the older Stax are becoming harder to find, and almost any of Stax true electrostatic headphones sound very good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back