SRT-4 at the track at Infineon Raceway
May 7, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 24
I'm extremely jealous of your rx7s, nice work.
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe that a LSD is already out for the car(a quaife, iirc).

I've heard about the plans for the rx-7 replacement and the supra replacement, but I'm worried what they'll do. They wouldn't ruin a japanese legend, right?

May 7, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 24
Wether they live up to the older generations of supras and rx7s, who knows. Frankly I'm glad the big wigs are letting the companies design and release them again.

Right now they are just testing the waters. If the market opens back up for sports cars of that nature, we'll see some awesome stuff I bet.

May 7, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 24
Heh, oh by the way, I was reading some info on the SRT4 and it turns out that it actually contains a cast aluminium block. No cast iron
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 24
aw... huh i could have sworn it was some cast iron in there. so techinically i was sliding rather than oversteering, boo!

ah well i still like the car

May 8, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #20 of 24
Cast iron blocks? They are much more rigid for any given level of heat. The old BMW F1 block during the turbo era was cast iron...

That said, a well designed cast alloy block is "better".

Oversteering/understeering has NOTHING to do with what end is being driven. Ever hear (or experience) "throttle lift off oversteer"? This is the realm of FWD - and rear engined German cars.

The terms are there to describe the TYPE of sliding, not how the sliding was induced.

I could push out either the front OR rear end of my Scirocco (RIP) by modulating the throttle at the cornering limit. And I did so often. Having a suspension properly tuned does wonders.

May 8, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #22 of 24
The SRT-4 isn't Dodge's first budget FWD hot rod. Anybody here remember the GLH and GLHS? I think most of you were in grade school at the time.....

I didn't care for any of the badge engineered wonders they made in the '80's with the Shelby logo all over them.

In the mean time, I can't help but wonder what that SRT-4 drivetrain would do in a purpose built mid-engined 2 seater. Would they build a Viper killer for 1/3rd the price? Or is that their next concept car/show prototype?

Ah, who cares - a motorcycle will eat any of them....

May 8, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #23 of 24
Rohorn - Actually.... Dodge does have a concept of something like that. Who knows if they'll make it.

Allthough it isn't a viper killer, it sounds like a pretty sweet car for the price.

Think SRT4 but without all the suck. RWD ect ect.

Read more: http://www.allpar.com/model/concepts/dodge-razor.html
http://www.new-cars.com/concept/dodge-razor.html

Not all motorcycles
smily_headphones1.gif
You'll need at least a liter bike before you can match the power to weight ratio of my car. Though considering equal power, one will still take me off the line so bad it'll be around 90 before I pass.

Bikes are great fun _if you know how to ride properly_. I want to get into bikes more, but never find the time... or money
smily_headphones1.gif
Damn head-fi and rx7club!

May 8, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by rohorn

The terms are there to describe the TYPE of sliding, not how the sliding was induced.

I could push out either the front OR rear end of my Scirocco (RIP) by modulating the throttle at the cornering limit. And I did so often. Having a suspension properly tuned does wonders.

Actually it has everything to do with how you induce oversteer. Notice you were using power (modulating throttle) to move the car around.

Braking to move the front of the car around still isn't oversteer. Whats more is you can't counter this type of slide by counter steering and applying throttle.

Physics....

Try this out: Take a quarter or a bottle top. Put your finger or a pen behind it (in the center) and push. Now, put your finger or pen off to one side. You'll notice that the object _goes_ in the other direction right? But notice another side effect, the object also rotates in that direction as well. Think of that as oversteer. That is the property that seperates it from sliding the nose around in a line, to oversteering under power. Try the same expirement by pulling the object from the front. Just doesn't work.

Having a properly tuned suspenion and chassis upgrades does wonders indeed. It helps the correct tires grip in the correct spots.

One must remember that while a vehicle might be capable of oversteer, that doesn't mean it is any faster at going through a corner. Think of it as merely and option to consider if you have too much confidence and take a corner too fast. It might help you miss the wall and stay on the track. Any situation where the tires break loose is a bad one. Any time you ask your tires to grip more than they are capable of means that you aren't transmitting all the power you are capable of.

If you require 100% of your grip potential to turn into a corner, then you can't apply any throttle. This hurts to front wheel drive, because the tires that are trying to pull you in one direction are the same ones responsible for making power. If you turn your tires in, the car will follow that path as long as the tires have a grip potential higher than the cars momentum fighting to keep it in the same line. You really aren't using all 4 tires to their maxium potential here.

Any time your tires slip, is a missed opportunity to push the car forward. It make look cool and be fun, but it is still the slowest way to go about it. (except in dirt, WRC rules!)

weee....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back