SRM-252 Power Supply
Dec 9, 2006 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

obender

New Head-Fier
I want to buy my first set of electrostatic headphones and decided for either Stax 3050 or 2050 (cheapest Stax headphone + amp combos). pricejapan.com delivers both of these only for 100V but I live in Europe and electricity here is 230V.

I noticed that the amplifier in the Stax 2050 combo (SRM-252) is powered at 12V via an external adapter. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the adapter supplied by Stax with a regular 12V adapter. Does anyone know if there is anything special about the adapter Stax provides apart from the polarity? Does it have to be regulated or does the amplifier have a regulator inside?

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by obender /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy my first set of electrostatic headphones and decided for either Stax 3050 or 2050 (cheapest Stax headphone + amp combos). pricejapan.com delivers both of these only for 100V but I live in Europe and electricity here is 230V.

I've ordered a 2050 set from PriceJapan and am waiting for delivery. But I'm not worrying about the little wallwart. As far as I can see in photographs and brochure, it is a cheap, commonplace, off the shelf voltage converter. You can replace it with any other wallwart that fits your local socket and doesn't diss Colonel Ohm. 4W divided by 12V is 333mA, so any 12V 400mA or better wallwart will do. I have, just looking around my study at what lies loose and isn't in use, not even opening boxes because my family is already in bed, a Lloydtron multi-voltage wallwart, bought at the local pound shop for 1.99, that does 12V and a third of watt, a variable Lego power supply, two Panasonic 12V 500mA wireless phone units, a spare ethernet router power supply 12V 1A, and a vast array of similar or better that are plugged in and possibly in use or perhaps just sitting there waiting for the associated equipment to be brought back in use but that may be liberated if I decide my sound is more important than powering up a Newton I haven't used for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by obender /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that the amplifier in the Stax 2050 combo (SRM-252) is powered at 12V via an external adapter. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the adapter supplied by Stax with a regular 12V adapter. Does anyone know if there is anything special about the adapter Stax provides apart from the polarity? Does it have to be regulated or does the amplifier have a regulator inside?

On the pictures the supplied wallwart is clearly too small to have anything special about it; in fact it looks cheap and minimal, probably ordered in by Stax on price out of someone's catalogue. Replace it with something stiffer in the current but the same 12V, as in my list above (I will choose the 1A unit from the router). Choosing the bigger current capability cannot harm your amp because it will draw only as much current as it needs. But it will make the delivery of that current smoother by dragging the voltage down less.

I'll inspect the inside of the 252 amp when I have it in hand to see if there is further smoothing inside (more than possible) and decide on hand of the quality of sound whether it is worth building a better power supply. There's a firm in Germany that advertises on German Ebay which makes alterations to the 212 power supply (in German "netzteil") and also to the amplifier itself; I assume people spend another third (by the time carriage is added for sending boards back and forth) of the cost of their basic Stax kit with this firm for a good reason.

The problem with a better power supply is that the cost can soon mount up substantially to a third or a quarter of what we paid for the 2050 kit at PriceJapan. On the other hand, if the set is the actual value charged by the cheapest European suppliers, 800 Euro, then an improved powersupply, if necessary, may be justified.

There is another problem with upgrading power supplies in a heavyhanded manner. Just stepping back a moment, the power power supply, and in particular its capacitors, are often the most expensive components next to the case and transformers (and upmarket tubes, if any) in any amp design manufactured for commercial distribution; energy storage is an obvious place for cost accountants to make big impact. (In the Stax line, it seems very likely on general consideration of the size of the Stax operation and its likely design staff numbers that the 300 and 3x3 amps are just 212/252 amps, with at most very small signal section differences, but with dedicated, power supplies -- but check the price difference a good power supply makes!) So, in general, if you buy a commercial amp and it dinna work too well, you beef up the power supply in the first instance by adding energy storage, and suddenly you have better bass extension. The usual obsessives we find in among the audiophiles (and some designers too) then conclude that if a little is good, plenty has to be better. But the truth is that nothing fails like excess, and in current storage in sound reproduction the first cause of nasty, overhanging bass skewing the entire sound spectrum is usually the wrong amount of capacitance in the power supply. That might be even more particularly true in earspeakers, where the quality of the bass is very obvious, very forward on your attention. I know for a fact that it is especially true in floorstanding electrostatic speakers like the Quad ESL-63 and even more so in its predecessor the ESL (sometimes called -57); building amps to drive big stats directly, or trying to match them to woofers is a pain in the posterior because the quality of their bass matches the exceptional quality of their midrange.

The optimum amount of power supply capacitance is determined by the limitations of the sound reproducer, the output device, in this case the earspeaker. It may be that when the amp and speaker arrive, the two are matched to perfection and that no power supply upgrading is necessary. (The stiffer wallwart isn't upgrading in that sense, it is just a mild sort of tweak.)

HTH.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 28
hello chaps

I found your comments very interesting Andre, Im to thinking of getting either an 2050 or 3050 system, and wondered the difference. I hear that between the 303 v 404 there is nothing in it, can the same be said for the 202 v 303?
And is the 232 energiser just a fancily boxed 252 with a better power supply? (id have thought a power supply away form the main unit would have been better anyway?)
how are you guys getting on with your 2050 systems?
Cheers
Pembers

May 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by pembers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello chaps

I found your comments very interesting Andre, Im to thinking of getting either an 2050 or 3050 system, and wondered the difference. I hear that between the 303 v 404 there is nothing in it, can the same be said for the 202 v 303?
And is the 232 energiser just a fancily boxed 252 with a better power supply? (id have thought a power supply away form the main unit would have been better anyway?)
how are you guys getting on with your 2050 systems?
Cheers
Pembers

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't know anything about the 303 earspeakers. I wouldn't pay too much extra to upgrade my 202 earspeakers to 404. I would pay something to upgrade to the Omega 2 but wonder if the huge price difference is justified. I did originally intend to upgrade my 202 to a 404, at a time when I had heard the 404 but not the 202. But now, having built a few amps to drive Stax headphones, I have decided that what makes the difference between the various Stax sets that use the 202/303/404 earspeakers is in each case the accompanying amp. The phones themselves are bargains, the 202 the best bargain of all, and the amps seem fairly priced. If I ran Stax, I would make the phones themselves much more expensive, because they are the company's USP.

I don't know whether the 252A and the amp accompanying the 303 earspeaker are similar; it would seem logical that the more expensive amp should be the same except for the power supply and a more impressive case. The 252A (MkII in Europe, same thing) is a fine amp for the price and the off-the-shelf electronics catalogue case doesn't affect the sound adversely.

I've built better amps for the Stax earspeakers than the 252A both before I got it and since but they were all tube amps and mant multiples the cost just in components (thousands if sold at retail), so the comparison isn't fair.

I don't know that in competently designed electronics today a separate power supply is necessary. In the case of the cheapest Stax model the wall wart is an accounting measure to make the same amp work in different countries. Upgrading the wallwart to higher current capability may give you better sound. I'm no longer all that finicky: by the time you get to Stax earphones, you're near the top of the mountain anyway; I ascertained that the 202 were not embarrassed in the company of my Quad ESL63 (nothing can match the -57s) and that is good enough for me. You may be a more careful audiophile; I'm having too much fun listening to music to be an audiophile!

HTH.

Listening to Harry Christophers and The Sixteen sing Handel's Esther; I'm working my way through my Handel discs, amounting to roundabout 250 discs.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

May 15, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 28
Thanks again Andre, very interesting comments. I'm like you, I use 63s in my main system, so want that sound on my ears! also must admit, the mid on the 57s is THE BEST, amazing speaker for there age, but the 63s win in every other area.
Cheers.
P

Oct 29, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 28
anybody know if the power supply with the srm-252 is switching or regulated? would there be an audible benefit of using a regulated power supply instead a switching one?

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 28
unregulated linear wall brick.

Make sure you get the polarity right if you use
a different supply.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 28
Thanks for the answer spritzer
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 28
You need the one with the negative in the mid

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 28
800px-AC_adaptor_polarity.png

I mean the one at the right (negative polarity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back