SRM 007t : low volume output
Nov 14, 2010 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

32GSAND

New Head-Fier
Hi to all

I have just received my stax Unit SR007 MK2 + SRM 007t and was more than happy to connect my Rega apollo CD player on it.

The sound turned great and transparent but i quickly figure out that i had to turn the volume to the maximum level to be just at a normal level of listenling music.

It appears to me that something is wrong somewere !

I will add that i tried to connect the CD player on the second RCA entry with no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 17
my modded 727a reached normal listening level at 12-1 o clock. Only some recording like 80s metallica ablum  i need to move to 2pm but i rarely move beyond that. If i listen thru  my balanced line buffer , then it will be up one knob.  Actually it is stated by stax that it had set the gain to be low for some reason.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
my modded 727a reached normal listening level at 12-1 o clock. Only some recording like 80s metallica ablum  i need to move to 2pm but i rarely move beyond that. If i listen thru  my balanced line buffer , then it will be up one knob.  Actually it is stated by stax that it had set the gain to be low for some reason.

I must listen to music really soft.

On my Stax amp, a SRM-007t, I find 9 o'clock (2 on the dial) loud. If I'm using my SR-007 or Sigmas I sometimes go up to 10:30 (3.5 on the dial). For me that's extremely loud. I can't stand anything more than that.

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Quote:

I must listen to music really soft.

On my Stax amp, a SRM-007t, I find 9 o'clock (2 on the dial) loud. If I'm using my SR-007 or Sigmas I sometimes go up to 10:30 (3.5 on the dial). For me that's extremely loud. I can't stand anything more than that.

Maybe the gain is different for different amp. To be clearer , i normally turn to 5 or 6 on the dial but 7 and beyond are too loud.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Hi to all

I have just received my stax Unit SR007 MK2 + SRM 007t and was more than happy to connect my Rega apollo CD player on it.

The sound turned great and transparent but i quickly figure out that i had to turn the volume to the maximum level to be just at a normal level of listenling music.

It appears to me that something is wrong somewere !

I will add that i tried to connect the CD player on the second RCA entry with no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Ask you something about the rega apollo. Are they warm and smooth sounding? Or it depends heavily on the type of cable used. I remember I demo it with my setup and found out that how it sounded depend on the cable used, rather than the cd player. Like at 1st i demoed the cd player with the store's ic , it was really warm and smooth. But when i replaced it with atlas navigator , it was bright sounding. So much of a difference!

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 17
The gain on the 727 is at least 6db lower than any of the other Stax amps despite what the specs say.  It's because of the lack of feedback in the outputstage as more gain would just make it even less linear.  Since I fixed the feedback issue in my amp I could also raise the gain to make it the same as the other Stax amps. 

As for the issue of volume in general, the output voltage of the source is what determines this 100%.  While the line level standard calls for 2VRMS (4VRMS for balanced) this is rarely the case. 

Now to find out what is wrong with the 007t, I'd check the DC balanced and offset, see if all the internal led's are lit and then change out the tubes for a new matched quad.  Now if you aren't comfortable with high voltage and willing to accept the risks of making the wrong move I'd just send it in for servicing. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for those feedbacks.

Do you have direct link from your cd player to the stax unit or are you using a preamp or amp between the cd player and the stax amp. ?

Thanks for feebback

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 17
I always run my amps directly from the DAC's.  The amps can handle 30V on the input so there is no danger of overloading them but if you are using the tape loopout of a preamp then that might be the problem. 

Quote:
Hmm maybe i can also raise the gain but there's nothing to complain about on the current setting.

Ahh did you do the feedback mod to your amp?  I only raised the gain so it would match my other amps i.e. I could eyeball the volume level so I wouldn't get blasted. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I always run my amps directly from the DAC's.  The amps can handle 30V on the input so there is no danger of overloading them but if you are using the tape loopout of a preamp then that might be the problem. 

Quote:
Hmm maybe i can also raise the gain but there's nothing to complain about on the current setting.

Ahh did you do the feedback mod to your amp?  I only raised the gain so it would match my other amps i.e. I could eyeball the volume level so I wouldn't get blasted. 

The person , who did the modification, mentioned that part of the process involved doing some changes to the outputstage but i am unsure if it is exactly your feedback mod. Have to ask him later. However I remember asking him what the main weakness of this amp was and he said that power supply used in this amp was inadequate. He seems to be a believer in 'everything boils down to power supply'. When he was doing the modification , he had all my stuff , the cdp, headphone, cables and amp, all were tweaked  to my liking.

Ask you something, why on earth cables have such great impact on a stax setup , more so than dynamic setup?

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 17
The power supply is a simple as they come but what can you do at this price level.  Something like the new KGSSHV PSU would make the amp far larger and much, much more expensive...

You can't deny the superior resolution of electrostatics coupled with fully DC coupled amps but my jaded DIY view has put cables in the backseat.  Once you realize that there is another 60cm of basically the cheapest crap known to man inside most amps then the thought of a 2k$ interconnect is just insane. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back