[SripBoard Design] Starving Student Millett Hybrid Vacum Tube Amp
Aug 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #137 of 269
567-657-15ABP
thats the standard starving student heatsink spec'd by pete. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #138 of 269
Ever dreamed of driving a batmobile?

But of course! :D

BTW, I am not saying that heat sink will not work, just be cautious. The wood case will not provide any thermal assistance as a metal case would. Most CPU heatsinks are designed for size and reach their performance by using a fan, which, you really want to avoid in this application. Since you will be externally mounting the sink, it might be perfectly suited for the build.

Besides, I like the whole repurposing aspect of using it. It looks good as well. :cool:

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #139 of 269
Got my tubes:

Got both for 8$ Not tested salvage from old electronics. A bit worried that they wont work...

Plus the probably wont "Match" sound wise right? Also on is VII-7 and the other is IX-3.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #140 of 269
About the Heat sink, i looked on mouser for an alternative that would lay flat and bolted to the back of the case (I dont really like them sticking out the top with the tubes) but i had no luck.

Any ideas?

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #141 of 269
The tubes may work fine, I mean you might as well test them (once your amp is built) since you have them already.

I have also wanted to drive a batmobile
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #142 of 269
Would someone consider taking the time to modify the design for a single tube version of this since one full tube is used per channel.

I made a very quick sketch just to illustrate the idea but again i am not qualified enough to make this work. Pay only attention to the cabling, I know the layout of some of the components is wrong and everything should be fixed up in Rev 3.6.2

Rev 3.6.2(Could use someone checking again the layout. Cant thank you people enough):

And here is the schematic (why not?)

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #143 of 269
This particular amp would need some changes to really have something that would work well. 
Something like one of the following amps...
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/Tube-Mosfet-Hybrid-Headphone-Amp/
or
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/12AU7-IRF510-LM317-Headamp/

...where the heater string is removed from the output series, and just used "normally."

I can't seem to find the reference where I was reading about it(Beezar maybe?), but suffice it to say that just dropping 6v(using the center tap on the 12au7 heater) on the output string(while still retaining the 48v power supply used here) would be a bit much on the mosfet. It would make a good project to learn more.

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #144 of 269
Hey TestSubject, any updates of your project yet? I like the work you've done so far. I am not currently concerning myself with construction of a starving student amp, but I like those stripboard drawings you made. What software did you use?

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #145 of 269

Quote:
Hey TestSubject, any updates of your project yet? I like the work you've done so far. I am not currently concerning myself with construction of a starving student amp, but I like those stripboard drawings you made. What software did you use?

I believe he is using diylc

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #146 of 269
People, I am not dead, something happend to me though, School happend.

Got all the parts right here (BIG thanks to digger945) but time is an issue right now. Like many people suggested i need to review my layout since the caps are big (doing that now)

Anyone had problem with DIYLC crashing 2-3 times every minutes (MAC)? Makes things very hard as you might imagine.

Will keep you posted.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #147 of 269
what version are you using? i have 3.0.9 and it seems to be working fine

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #148 of 269

Quote:
People, I am not dead, something happend to me though, School happend.

Got all the parts right here (BIG thanks to digger945) but time is an issue right now. Like many people suggested i need to review my layout since the caps are big (doing that now)

Anyone had problem with DIYLC crashing 2-3 times every minutes (MAC)? Makes things very hard as you might imagine.

Will keep you posted.

I had it crashing in Linux also, but not so often. Was crashing every 10 minutes, but without crashing it getting unusable after a few minutes (i can modify some values because the drop box is disappearing or other strange thing happens)

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #149 of 269
Hi guys. I just made an account to ask a question here as i'm confused... I like the awesome strip board layout and may be using it to make mine. Looking at the REV 3.6.2 and comparing with the schematics, isn't the R6 and R12 supposed to be connected between line out and ground? Thanks in advance..

Update:
I've copied the REV 3.6.2 and made another one with a few changes to confirm i'm reading your layout right.. I'm not so sure about this because i'm just a newbie but i'm willing to learn so, if you see any problem, do tell me. Thanks.

[Click image to enlarge]

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #150 of 269
Hello everyone,

3.7 is here this time with proper scale. 3.7.1 will be more detailed. DIYLC was very annoying, crashing non stop. The Windows version seems to be better.

Cant wait to solder everything up

Thanks BangDead Fixed R6 R12

If anyone cares to check the design to make sure, that would be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back