[SripBoard Design] Starving Student Millett Hybrid Vacum Tube Amp
Jul 9, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 269

TestSubject

100+ Head-Fier
EDIT: This is old. Please, go have a look at the lastest post as the Stripboard design as greatly improved and i hope will be operational soon. Here is Rev 3.7: LINK

Components are ordered, Will start building soon.

Looking into a 1 Tube re-design to the SSMH: LINK

Build Started: LINK

Build Finished / Pictures: LINK

update: Still running strong! I use it everyday. Changed the led color for something... warmer...

Ok so here is the Final Design, It works great and is simple to build. I have come a long way since I started this thread.

I used DIYLC for this project and here is the board design, feel free to modifie it and share it around. It would be nice, if you choose to use this, to post results in this thread.

Great Source of Info and BOM here: DIYForum

update: Realise I never had uploaded the design file.

Here is an updated diagram with fixes and clarification from KimLaroux.

Note that the red marks are cut strip

Note: Use bigger heatsink than me!

Special Thanks to:
Digger945 For 1) Sending me the parts 2) Taking Lots of his time explaining electronic concepts 3) Being such a nice person?
nikongod For helping Troubleshooting the Amplifier
Fred_fred2004 For inspiring me and general help.
zammykoo Frodo Brother in SSMH
KimLaroux for the updated diagram.

And thanks to all the others for your support.

Good day,

Well here i finished my Cmoy amp and since helped 3 friends make one as well because they fell in love with mine... I am probably not the first person in this situation.

I really want to make a desktop amp and i thought that a Vacum tube amp would be great (awesome vintage look in bonus) so naturally i looked at the Millet Starving Student Hybrid amp for it's simplicity as i am still a beginner.

The problem is that im not a fan of messy wiring, i was wondering if someone had made a stripboard layout for such an amp?

Also the concern of the unavailability of the 19J6 tubes.

The closer i found was this: Spanish Link

also:

Original Thread 00940: Then a simple amp like the kaidan could possibly do the trick:http://www.wavebourn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=998

it does look simple but not much info is available on "the kaidan"

Any info on this simpler amp? Note the use of higher voltage.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 269
I thought by 'stripboard layout' you were looking for a PCB layout. As such:

http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/SSMHlayout.php

If I am mistaken, then my apologies and disregard my postings.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 269
Try and figure out a layout for yourself using the schematic, it's not very difficult for a simple amp like that. Keep in mind you may still need a little bit of extra wiring, but you can hide it away on the underside of the board.

Once you got that down, you can build all sorts of wonderful things, as the skills you learn will come in handy.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 269
im building one right now on radioshack prototype board because i find it easier than p2p, its not too hard to come up with a layout

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 269

Quote:
I thought by 'stripboard layout' you were looking for a PCB layout. As such:

http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/SSMHlayout.php

If I am mistaken, then my apologies and disregard my postings.

This i what i meant for a stripboard:

But thanks anyways.

Yes i am working on some layout for a stripboard but a layout made but a someone with experience would certainly work better then what ever i can come up with. Dont forget I am a beginner, i want to learn and yes it would maybe be better for me to do everything on my own but have no idea how to deal with so many earthed leads without tons of jumpers for exemple. I dont want to go to the store and buy an amp, idont want to order a kit either but am i ready to design my own strip board? i dont think so.

If no one i ready to help me, i understand, might be for my own good.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 269
in that picture it seems like you have rails, each row is connected. make one rail positive and one ground. that way you can put components you know are grounded right on that rail.

without a custom made board your going to have a fair amount of jumpers.

just go for it! if it doesnt work, check your work, and if you dont see anything sticking out at you, desolder everything and try wiring it up again, but differently. sometimes the best way to learn is to jump right in and give it a go. it doesnt have to be pretty, and one layout isnt necessarily better than another. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 269
The fact that some people cant point to point cleanly (points at self) doesn't mean *you* cant. Even if your work looks like garbage, like mine, there is mega-whoa-alot of pride to take in building something yourself from a schematic.

You might save 3 wires by building the amp with the aid of stripboard. When you start counting connections on the stripboard, you certainly have more wire - particularly if you lay the amp out so that most connections can be made with the components themselves. 

For example, here is my take on the starving student, using the tubes from the original millet hybrid:

Its got 3 knobs because thats 3 times as good as 1. Seriously, its an older version of the akido stepper. 

Innerbits:

I may have managed to get MORE wire into this amp then most people get into the starving student. I got skills. 

Maybe its just me, but I find building stuff on perf-board more time consuming and tedious than really old school point to point with nothing but tube sockets and tag strips. 

The Kaidan is more complex than the Starving Student by a few components, and separate AC and DC feedback loops.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 269
as a side note, where/what kind of heat sinks are you using for the mosfets?

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 269
 This is funny, the original picture is from my Photography blog, which is in written in Portuguese (Brazil). :wink:

I can't help you but if you could read the text, I'm pretty sure you would think twice about building a headphone amp that uses 19J6 tubes, as it is/was hard to find those tubes. For the price I see people listing those amps here, unless it is for the experience of building something, there is no point getting in this trouble.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 269
Me?
I used a little screw-on heat-sink on the back panel. You can kind of see it screwed to the back panel right in the middle. 

My design runs the mosfets at significantly lower power dissipation than the original starving student so I can get away with a smalllllll sink. For real Starving Stdents the theme seems to be "more heatsink, more better". If I were building another one of these, I would use a larger heatsink (or 2 of these - I used only 1) but this one was adequate for me. 

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 269
aaahh i see it now

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 269
I am having trouble with the design... Maybe a perfboard would make things simpler. I Can see the ton of jumpers needed already.

Any explanation on the new kinds of tubes needed and the modifications needed to the design now that the 19J6 is gone?

Quote:

The Kaidan is more complex than the Starving Student by a few components, and separate AC and DC feedback loops.

Is there any pics out there for reference? Maybe you built one yourself?

[size=medium]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back