SRH940 a closed can replacement of the MS1i?
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nw130d

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, anyone own both and thinks srh940 is a good closed can replacement of the MS1i? Any similar qualities like sound signature, sound stage..., thanks

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Hi, anyone own both and thinks srh940 is a good closed can replacement of the MS1i? Any similar qualities like sound signature, sound stage..., thanks

Heya,

Quite similar sound. The SRH940 will have less congestion, more comfort. The SRH940 will have more clarity, a great sound stage, pronounced mids and bright treble (but not sibilant or ultimately fatiguing). The bass may seem a little lighter than the MS1i, but extension of the bass of the SRH940 goes lower, but the focus of the headphone remains on the mids & treble.

Very best,

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 13

I would say the Shure 940 is a good closed headphone. If you want more bass impact you might look at the 940's sibling the Shure 840 which has a bit of a mid bass hump that's not far off the one that Grado has.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the impressions guys. Would go test one but no local stores carries them. 

Quote:
Heya,

Quite similar sound. The SRH940 will have less congestion, more comfort. The SRH940 will have more clarity, a great sound stage, pronounced mids and bright treble (but not sibilant or ultimately fatiguing). The bass may seem a little lighter than the MS1i, but extension of the bass of the SRH940 goes lower, but the focus of the headphone remains on the mids & treble.

Very best,

Thanks for the great short and concise answer MalVeanX. Still have few more questions.

I am looking for that sparkle you get with the MS1i, eg. that clear clean sound of a snare drums or acoustic guitar. How does the srh940 deliver on these fronts? I know the srh940 arn't exactly Grados but does it almost give that Grado house sound?

Quote:
I would say the Shure 940 is a good closed headphone. If you want more bass impact you might look at the 940's sibling the Shure 840 which has a bit of a mid bass hump that's not far off the one that Grado has.

I own the 840s and love them, prob my favorite closed headphones ive listen to but to me they lack that sparkle excitement you get with the MS1i (even though the 840s have more detail). Best way i can describe it is, 840s is like red wine and MS1i is like shampagne... and i just want a close-can of shampagne not opened lol

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the impressions guys. Would go test one but no local stores carries them. 

Thanks for the great short and concise answer MalVeanX. Still have few more questions.

I am looking for that sparkle you get with the MS1i, eg. that clear clean sound of a snare drums or acoustic guitar. How does the srh940 deliver on these fronts? I know the srh940 arn't exactly Grados but does it almost give that Grado house sound?

I own the 840s and love them, prob my favorite closed headphones ive listen to but to me they lack that sparkle excitement you get with the MS1i (even though the 840s have more detail). Best way i can describe it is, 840s is like red wine and MS1i is like shampagne... and i just want a close-can of shampagne not opened lol

I'm not sure you'll find an exact match.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 13
ya not looking for exact match but hoping the srh940 is close 

I have the 940 and the SR-225 and they're not the same. Probably even less similar. Trying to match the sound signature of a closed can and an open one is a challenge at best. I'd just enjoy the unique abilities of both and not sweat it too much.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 13
 It's impossible to get a headphone that sounds exactly like another generally, but I've tried the 840s and I didn't think they sound that much like any Grado I've tried. They have really pronounced bass (but not that much sub-bass), less detailed and intimate mids, treble reproduction seemed a little darker compared to my admittedly very bright sr-125is.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I have the 940 and the SR-225 and they're not the same. Probably even less similar. Trying to match the sound signature of a closed can and an open one is a challenge at best. I'd just enjoy the unique abilities of both and not sweat it too much.

Thanks for the info, guess if I get the 940 I still have to keep my MS1i. Only have 1 set of ears was hoping to cut down on how many headphones I have laying around.

Quote:
 It's impossible to get a headphone that sounds exactly like another generally, but I've tried the 840s and I didn't think they sound that much like any Grado I've tried. They have really pronounced bass (but not that much sub-bass), less detailed and intimate mids, treble reproduction seemed a little darker compared to my admittedly very bright sr-125is.

Ya i am not looking for exactly same sound, just something that is close to the MS1i. Something close enough that i can sell my MS1i and not miss it.

The 840s does have a lot more bass then the SR125i but no more then any other NEAR balanced headphones. To me the 840 has more detail throughout the spectrum than the SR125i, not sure about iS though. Going from my MS1i to the 840 it is a bit dark but again 840 is no darker than let say the HD580s.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 13
I was going to order the Shure srh940 and i hope it is like the alessandro in a way. If i do buy it i will let you know what i think compared to my alessandro ms1.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Great, Thanks a bunch!    I hope they are similar enough to the alessandro, just with more bass extension, fingers crossed

No big branch stores around where I live carries the srh940 so i cant return them if i do not like... $300 is a bit much to spend on a hunch

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Great, Thanks a bunch!    I hope they are similar enough to the alessandro, just with more bass extension, fingers crossed

No big branch stores around where I live carries the srh940 so i cant return them if i do not like... $300 is a bit much to spend on a hunch

The 940 shows up used on the sales forum often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back