SRH840 vs M50's Size?
Aug 15, 2012 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danquoc

Head-Fier
Does anyone have a size comparison between these two headphones? I just want to get a general picture of how big the 840 is compared to the M50.

Also, if anyone can state the sound difference between the 840's, M50 and the KNS-8400's, it would be very much appreciated. Will be using on an ipod.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi, the SRH840 is a little more bulky than the M50 and also doesn't fold as well. It is also heavier than the M50. A lot of people find the SRH840 to be uncomfortable.

Sound:
SRH840: Quite flat with slightly emphasized bass, makes for a non-fatiguing warm signature. A bit rolled off on both ends of the spectrum. Good detail and soundstage.
M50: White box version I have fairly neutral sounding with slightly recessed mids. Bass is impactful and well extended, possibly best in class at the price. Treble is very clear, sharp and crisp, occasionally harsh. Soundstage is quite narrow, detail retrieval is very good.
KRK KNS8400: Quite flat sounding, good soundstage for a closed headphone, lots of detail, a little bright, bass lacks any impact, sounds a bit like someone farting, gets lost underneath lower mids.

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Hi, the SRH840 is a little more bulky than the M50 and also doesn't fold as well. It is also heavier than the M50. Some people find the SRH840 to be uncomfortable.

Corrected that for you :)

Personally I found them to be very comfortable - although a little heavier than a lot of the cans I've tried.

OP - I agree with jupitreas comparison of the SRH840 and M50 (sonically).  It was a comparison I made when I had to choose between them for my first "real cans".  If you can get the chance to audition (try) both - it's definitely worth it.   I ultimately went with the SRH840 for the superior mid-range.  Both are really good entry level cans though.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 7
My brother has a pair of the M50's and I love the sound on it. I would get them as well but I just HATE how they feel. The pads are very uncomfortable. Though most reviews I see on the 840's say that the bass is lower than it is on the M50's. I found the M50's to have perfect bass. Is the bass difference significant between these two cans?

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi, the SRH840 is a little more bulky than the M50 and also doesn't fold as well. It is also heavier than the M50. A lot of people find the SRH840 to be uncomfortable.

brooko's review have pics of them folded for portability.. 
size wise they are almost the same for practical purposes

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 7
i found the m50s to be slightly bassy ..very good quality bass though with enough thump to satisfy neutral listeners looking for some more bass.....the treble was good and detailed and at times strident but i dint really find it hot or tiring... if you come from neutral cans like v6 or zx 700 .. u ll be overwhelmed by the bass of the m50s but the immediate frequency right after will be less prominent... the m50s also heat up after 2 hours though their comfort is great if not better than the 840s..

the srh 840 is much less fatiguing and portrays equal detail, lesser thump but still brilliant over all balance..with forward mids(especially when compared to the m50s) and really good bass and highs ...its fit might be uncomfortable but once u find the correct fit for ure head .. it ll be as good as the m50s ... it doesnt really heat up much ...  and have more of an open sound ..

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 7
if you are in asia.. i would suggest you go for the srh 940s!! they are true class!! ..the best cans i've heard!! beats the z1000 by sonys ..
they are even more open sounding than the srh 840 and more neutral ...a bit more comfortable than the 840s

the best part is its just a tad more expensive than the m50s in the asia pacific and middle eastern countries..

all the best!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back