SRH440s vs Senn HD 280
Mar 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sekhmet

New Head-Fier
I'm new here. This thread has been done many times before, I know.

But few ever came to a consensus.

Anyways, I'm debating on these two. No, I don't have the extra 25 to bump up to the 50s as I'm paying for them myself. 

I don't know how to read frequency graphs well yet, but the bass goes all the way down on the 440 graphs compared to the 50s/280s which are pretty equal graph wise and maintain fairly neutral leveling. Is the bass "bad" on these? 

Also, which do you prefer of only these two options? I've heard a lot about the comfort of the senns which kinda shoos me away, but overall quality is what I'm looking for.

EDIT: these are also my first non earbud "high" quality cans.

Compared to the new earpods which are what I listen to now, either surpass them. The total package overall is what I'm most concerned with. I can sacrifice a little sound for comfort and durability and isolation.
This will be driven from a 15inch 2009 Mac Book Pro, a sony home theatre setup (model unknown at the moment) and an iPhone 5. 

EDIT: I meant 280 PROS if that makes a difference.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 17
Haven't heard the Shures but I have the HD280 Pros. I have a slightly larger than average noggin and these fit pretty good. Yes, the HD280 Pro are very bass prominent and the bass extension is probably the best of any cans I have.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Haven't heard the Shures but I have the HD280 Pros. I have a slightly larger than average noggin and these fit pretty good. Yes, the HD280 Pro are very bass prominent and the bass extension is probably the best of any cans I have.

bass prominent to where it takes away from the mids and highs, or just enough to give it a thump, make it punchy? 

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 17
HD280 Pro's have less bass than the Shures. But, they isolate better than the srh 440's. You wouldnt get these headphones for "bass"..not at all. But the highs are amazing on both of them.
thanks man. I wanted the most neutral sounding while having a little slight umph to the bass. but I'm not a bass head, so I wasn't gonna look for "bass" cans specifically.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 17
The graphs would indicate that the SRH440 has much less bass.... unless they're flawed in some way?

Anyways, I found the HD 280 Pros have too much bass for genres like classical, the cello sounds too sonorous. So if the SRH440 has even more, I'm not sure that's what OP is looking for.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 17
I'd be wary of the Shures just because I've heard so many people report that theirs cracked and fell apart. I've heard that the headband on the 280's cracks as well, and it certainly doesn't feel that durable to me. But I haven't heard of this causing them to actually be unusable.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
I'd be wary of the Shures just because I've heard so many people report that theirs cracked and fell apart. I've heard that the headband on the 280's cracks as well, and it certainly doesn't feel that durable to me. But I haven't heard of this causing them to actually be unusable.

Yes, I've heard the same. Though I've heard the durability issues to be more prominent on the 280s, and the clamping to be a detrimental point as well. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Do you have a general idea of the relative size of your head? I've found that a lot of headphones that are said to have a lot of clamp feel fine to me, so I guess I have a smaller head. I liked the clamp on the 280's because it made the fit so secure and the isolation pretty good, but you might feel differently.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 17
 Yes, I've heard the same. Though I've heard the durability issues to be more prominent on the 280s, and the clamping to be a detrimental point as well. 

This was only an issue on early HD280 Pros. It was addressed by a manufacturing change. Mine are 3 years old and still looking like brand-new despite being carried in a backpack with no protection and repeatedly being abused (ie. drops to the floor) in a busy lab environment.

Edit: The durability issue that is. The clamping force... I always found it to be less than my HD6xx, but those are considered vices by some (but again, never had that problem)

Anyways you can't enjoy headphones if you don't find them comfortable and if you find the HD280 Pro uncomfortable then I strongly discourage you from buying them.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
This was only an issue on early HD280 Pros. It was addressed by a manufacturing change. Mine are 3 years old and still looking like brand-new despite being carried in a backpack with no protection and repeatedly being abused (ie. drops to the floor) in a busy lab environment.

Edit: The durability issue that is. The clamping force... I always found it to be less than my HD6xx, but those are considered vices by some (but again, never had that problem)

thanks man, i'll definitely take it into consideration.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 17

Anyways you can't enjoy headphones if you don't find them comfortable and if you find the HD280 Pro uncomfortable then I strongly discourage you from buying them.

I don't have a large head so I think ill be fine. I ended up canceling my shure order because you know, I do care about bass more than I thought and I've pored many reviews that said the bass just wasn't there. the charts show the 280s being the closest thing to the 50s in terms of frequency, so that played a large role in my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back