SRH-840's Flimsy?
Oct 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NineEleven

Head-Fier
I came to a conclusion in buying a pair of SRH-840's and I am a bit scared to pay 150EUR on a headphones that seem to be a bit flimsy from reviews that I saw. 

I will be using the headset with a Zalman Clip hooked up to a gaming PC. I will be using this for music. Trance Vocals and Metal and Reggae. Natural nice sounds of vocals is what I want and nice bass (I dont want alot, the perfect amount) and gaming.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 12
I just bought the Shure's last week and after having this weekend to try them out I must say to look elsewhere. These headphones do have a natural sound that is on the "warm" side. But for Trance and Metal the Shure's (in my opinion) do not do them justice. The songs for these genres sound a bit too mellow/slow, like they lost the energy that drives the music. These headphones do wonders to Classical, Reggae, Acoustic, and basically anything that is slower paced compared to Metal/Trance/Techno. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I came to a conclusion in buying a pair of SRH-840's and I am a bit scared to pay 150EUR on a headphones that seem to be a bit flimsy from reviews that I saw. 

I will be using the headset with a Zalman Clip hooked up to a gaming PC. I will be using this for music. Trance Vocals and Metal and Reggae. Natural nice sounds of vocals is what I want and nice bass (I dont want alot, the perfect amount) and gaming.

i think it's just the 940's that have build quality problems.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 12
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=srh840-broken

Mine broke today - the plastic snapped above the left ear, so I did a little research, look like these cans are a bit weak in this area as it appears to be a common fault.

I've contacted Shure, but since I got them (albeit new and boxed) off eBay, I'm not optimistic. They definitely need to be sent back, its not something a spare part would fix.

I would recommend against getting these headphones due to this issue, and as its clearly a common defect and will probably happen eventually - its not as though I bashed these around much.

It's a shame because I absolutely adore the sound.

Anyone got a replacement they can recommend me (with a bit more build quality)?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
i think it's just the 940's that have build quality problems.

Which is ironic because the Shure SRH750DJ's are similar in style and components and Ive had mine for quite some time and never had an issue. They go in my backpack in their flimsy bag and everything and never once had I had an issue others are speaking of.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
SRH 840s are definitely not flimsy, once of the most solid and bulky headphones around,

If I will be using these for gaming and music. Just at home. I will be staying at the same place. The most important thing is that the cable is long and detachable and sturdy. But about what the others said.. Do you think these arent good for Trance?? I like the sound quality of the 'ATH PRO5V' headphones. If you can try find how these headphones sound to the SRH-840's.. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 12
To be honest, if you are just using them at home, and you take care of them, they should be fine. They are worth it just for the sound, which is better than many of higher end headphones I was testing today.. Honestly nothing really came close.. Also, as you aren't interested with being smothered by bass you'll love them, very clean but not shrill.

..just a shame what happened to mine.. I had them 18 months, I think it is largely to do with the weight of the driver / earcup, although it makes them feel weighty and expensive, I don't think the joint can fully handle the weight if they being used frequently during your travels.

I retract my earlier statement if your using them at home... Good luck!

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm not sure what the other poster was talking about concerning listening to metal with these, but in my experience they can not be beat!  I have gone through numerous AKG & Sennheiser cans, these smoke all of them for metal, hands down.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back